Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not as fast as I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    The "Marginal Traction" is a great point.

All the latest BMW's with AWD are faster than their RWD stable mates......case in point 340 ix vs non-Ix 4.6 vs 4.8 from BMW's own data.

The RS6 does not fail to put a smile on my face. And with new turbos, etc, I think it's back to new like performance. ...

As far as the new S6 vs RS6, D'ooh.....same hp numbers, better transmission, I'd expect the newer S6 to win.

Mike
    My buddy's 328i AWD is a quick car.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    I actually don't think the OP posted misinformation. His experience with his stock RS6 is quite realistic.
    This, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    ...As far as the new S6 vs RS6...same hp numbers, better transmission, I'd expect the newer S6 to win...
    Not to pick nits, but my 2013 S6 was rated at 420 hp, not 450 like the C5 RS6.

REAL-WORLD results however suggest that the C5 RS6's HP may actually have been slightly over-rated by the factory (which was fairly common in Audis at that time), whereas the C7's 4.0T's 420 hp rating has been shown to be at least 15-20% under its actual output.

The DCT transmission also helps with the C7's ETs in 1/4 mile racing, but it's the ~115 mph trap speed (vs. a stock C5 RS6's typical ~108 mph) that tells the true story of the HP being made.

All that said, my larger point is that the OP shouldn't really be surprised that his RS 6 lost an impromptu drag race against an equally powerful, much newer, more technologically advanced car.
    Last edited by ZCD2.7T; July 24th, 2016 at 03:16.

Quoting lack of performance/ misinformation is mostly subjective and difficult to quantify.

I beleve even a properly sorted stock RS6 will not get killed at the stoplight by a cls550.

that is my final word on the matter. Lol

all you C7 crew are welcome to Phoenix for some 405 night drags anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    ...all you C7 crew are welcome to Phoenix for some 405 night drags anytime.
    Great - and we can run "..all stock, stage 1 tune", too, right, like you? Mid 11's at 118-120 mph would be the result, so wouldn't be much of a race, but could still be fun... ��

Here is the Eurocharged Stage 1 tune for the 2012 CLS550 ~ 530 hp/606 lb-ft.

http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...ription_tabbed

There are quite a few of these on the road as per the MB forums so if you compare Stage 1 to Stage 1 (equal drivers) the CLS550 will be ahead
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    Here is the Eurocharged Stage 1 tune for the 2012 CLS550 ~ 530 hp/606 lb-ft.

http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...ription_tabbed

There are quite a few of these on the road as per the MB forums so if you compare Stage 1 to Stage 1 (equal drivers) the CLS550 will be ahead
    by about a fender length.

our cars still hold their own, but agreed, most sedans now have around 400 hp, and everything has better trans and even awd in some cases.
    ours is a classic, the cls isnt, you can make anything go fast, the new audi S cars are nice but srill not an RS, they will fall by the wayside and no one will care, RS cars are special, no matter what model.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

I would caution believing Eurocharged or most tuners claims. I'm sure it adds at least half of what they claim. I added it to my RS6 and a friend to his 997TT and it was marginally better than Revo. The good thing is they (at the time), coded out my SAI system as well as the secondary O2's but it was only marginally better than the Revo.
    At least in my case, I like the idea of being able to go to AMD with the same car and same Dyno for an Apples to Apples before and after comparison to really see what I'm getting for my money.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    by about a fender length.

our cars still hold their own, but agreed, most sedans now have around 400 hp, and everything has better trans and even awd in some cases.
    ours is a classic, the cls isnt, you can make anything go fast, the new audi S cars are nice but srill not an RS, they will fall by the wayside and no one will care, RS cars are special, no matter what model.
    Agreed it is a special car, that is why we all own and enjoy it. I guess the point was that even regular cars have caught up to the special RS cars
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I would caution believing Eurocharged or most tuners claims. I'm sure it adds at least half of what they claim. I added it to my RS6 and a friend to his 997TT and it was marginally better than Revo. The good thing is they (at the time), coded out my SAI system as well as the secondary O2's but it was only marginally better than the Revo.
    At least in my case, I like the idea of being able to go to AMD with the same car and same Dyno for an Apples to Apples before and after comparison to really see what I'm getting for my money.
    lol I just used Eurocharged as an example .. Renntech also has a tune. There are good and bad tuners in the MB world just as we have with Audi. The new twin turbo engines seem to respond really well to tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post

I am very impressed with the Eurocharged tune on my 2005 CL600. It transformed an already fast car into what approximates a supercar and I have driven a few. I wanted to park my RS6 and go cruising around the town looking for the cls550 in my cl600 that very night. Technology has not caught up with that engine and tranny. People are running over 1000hp on the stock tranny without incident. I have crushed or pulled even with every foe, including all the high horsepower Mustangs, Dodge's and even a late model 911TT. Admittedly, there are maintenance concerns such as the notorious suspension which make the average cost of ownership fairly high.

Back to the RS6...I love mine. Do I wish it were faster? Yes. Do I love the cool factor of having a 13 year old limited production car? Yes. It fits the exact place in my collection for which it was purchased. I drive it on the highway to work and when I get there and pull into the garage my colleagues' feathers aren't ruffled. It replaced a 1994 Mercedes E500 and it has the benefit of being great in wet weather. It's really a clean well running example; although, maybe I could have a few things buttoned up and I will give the Eurocharged or 034 chip a try since ECU tunes do wonders on turbocharged cars. To be clear, I don't need it to be the fastest car on the road; but, I do want it to be a real sleeper which will require a bit more pep to be fair.

So maybe the experts can provide me with a list of things to do or check so I can get my baby to reach her full potential. Nothing obvious stands out. Tranny seems great except for a hard 2 to 1 downshift only when running in sport mode. Using 3rd gear in the tiptronic from a low RPM at full throttle I get no slippage. My non-expert sensibilities are unable to detect the source of any potential power loss and I'm open to suggestions. A to do list for new purchasers would be a great information tool!
    Last edited by paperchase; July 29th, 2016 at 15:46.

Jesus....what a thread....I'll take any challengers from 0-480 (that's knots...about 550 mph) for my "daily driver". Yes, newer cars can be faster.....find me one more capable.....for the same $$....someone....please! Give me a car with AWD.....4 doors....a trailer hitch....0-60 under 4.5......less than 5 years old....for under 30k.....oh, and doesn't look like I'm 16 years old...

That's what I thought........which is why I'll put 3-4k per year into this car until I can find something better....

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Jesus....what a thread....I'll take any challengers from 0-480 (that's knots...about 550 mph) for my "daily driver". Yes, newer cars can be faster.....find me one more capable.....for the same $$....someone....please! Give me a car with AWD.....4 doors....a trailer hitch....0-60 under 4.5......less than 5 years old....for under 30k.....oh, and doesn't look like I'm 16 years old...

That's what I thought........which is why I'll put 3-4k per year into this car until I can find something better....
    A little negotiation, and this could fit your bill:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9956/overview/

Or this:

http://https://www.cars.com/vehicled...7928/overview/

Add a tune+pulley and you'd still be under your budget, and it would run high 11s reliably for years...

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    A little negotiation, and this could fit your bill:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9956/overview/

Or this:

http://https://www.cars.com/vehicled...7928/overview/

Add a tune+pulley and you'd still be under your budget, and it would run high 11s reliably for years...
    The second link didn't work. Curious as to what you suggested. I just ordered my Eurocharged tune which is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. I'll report back with updated impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
    The second link didn't work. Curious as to what you suggested. I just ordered my Eurocharged tune which is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. I'll report back with updated impressions.
    It was supposed to link to a 2012 B8 S4 with about 58k miles. Great car...

Quote Originally Posted by paperchase View Post

Back to the RS6...I love mine. Do I wish it were faster? Yes.

I will give the Eurocharged or 034 chip a try since ECU tunes do wonders on turbocharged cars.
    Here are a few data points for you to consider in your analysis....I've previously owned an RS6 that had a Eurocharged tune, dyno'd 424 WHEEL HP and currently own a stock late VIN RS6. Without a doubt a tuned RS6 is a quicker car however you should very carefully consider total cost that extra HP. The Audi RS6 5htp auto trans is comparably well below the Mercedes transmissions with respect to durability and power handling capabilities, in fact the 5 HTP trans in the C5 RS6 are notorious for blowing up the TQ converter's and Trans boxes, this risk is GREATLY enhanced when running a tuned C5 RS6.

It seems like the majority of the folks who've run a tune on the C5 RS6 have experienced some form of premature tq conv or total transmission failure as a direct result of increasing the boost via running a tune, my self included. Of course downtime and cost are two unpleasant aspects that accompany dreaded trans issues in the beast. Naturally the impact of the cost burden may be offset should you have quality extended warranty coverage at your disposal. Generally the cost$ to replace/rebuild an RS6 trans are well above average, pushing your total cost of ownership closer to that of a newer performance car.

By no means am I tying to scare you away from getting a tune, however I thought you may want to consider typical potential outcomes before you move forward. My personal experience has been that the Stock RS6 has been a much more enjoyable ownership experience vs. tuned, just my .02.
    Whatever you decide I wish you luck & hope you enjoy the journey
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Op trans is already blown

not a great plan to buy a tune before you have a well sorted base

not a great plan to tune before owning the vag com and learning how to use it

b8 S4 may be a better choice for the op

Yea, gonna have to echo this...putting the tune on may be the end of this trans. As stated by the OP, TC issue popped up, went away...also known as intermittent...meaning ready to fail.

To clarify, I've never heard of a TC failing due to any level of power, only the early TC's failed that had factory issues. I've failed two trans on my current TC

Don't worry, it's only about $6-10k per trans refresh...good for a few hundred WOT runs.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com