Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Not as fast as I thought

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    It was supposed to link to a 2012 B8 S4 with about 58k miles. Great car...
    I always forget, do you own an RS6...or just bash on them? Many other reasons for owning this car than comparing to new S6 time slips...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Op trans is already blown

not a great plan to buy a tune before you have a well sorted base

not a great plan to tune before owning the vag com and learning how to use it

b8 S4 may be a better choice for the op

I see you've logged a number of posts and are a dedicated owner, but your know-it-all attitude is rather unwelcomed and unwelcoming. How do you know my trans is blown? Just because you've blown a few, perhaps, doesn't mean mine is blown. How do you know my RS6 is not well-sorted? Have you inspected my vehicle personally? How do you know I don't own a vag com and, setting aside this, why must I learn how to use it? Consider that some enthusiasts have great relationships with their mechanics and as a value proposition prefer to devote more energy towards creating net worth sufficient to enable them to enjoy their toys without belaboring the costs of ownership. If my torque converter fails, I can fix it. If my tranny blows I can replace it. If I decide this isn't the car for me, I can buy something else. I didn't choose this car because it was inexpensive; and, I didn't pool all my resources to make the purchase possible without regard to what it would cost to maintain. Frankly, I was about to replace the torque converter a month ago but half the people on this board said don't bother just wait until the tranny blows -- the other half reported that changing the converter or fluid gave them several years of problem-free driving. In the end, I didn't know what to do so I figured push the platform with a chip, let the weak points break and fix it up better than before. As with everything, mileage may vary but the vocal majority seem to be jaded owners whom have experienced RS6 financial hardship and, seemingly, wish the same fate for their fellow owners. That vibe sucks and is really ruining part of the camaraderie I had hoped to find here. I came on here to learn, not to be bashed. Constructive criticism is cool, but the tone of your response is not constructive. There's no technical information being provided such as can be found in other posters' responses for example. What gives?

B8S4 is a great little car, yes smaller but not much lighter though. You can bump the flywheel HP up from 333 to over 400 fairly easily, that is flywheel HP. Although the car isn't much lighter than the RS6 it does have a little better balance (less front weight). You can go with the 6sp manual (but for $ you can do that with the RS6) or you can go with the S-tronic which is more reliable in the S4 but not bullet proof. Their have been a fair amount of S-tronic failures in the S4 and the trannies are around $8K from Audi and I don't think their are any aftermarket rebuilders, yet... I know a little bit as I do have a 2012 S4, a 2011~2012+ S4 will be better than a '09~'10 due to some tranny software & hardware improvements.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I always forget, do you own an RS6...or just bash on them? Many other reasons for owning this car than comparing to new S6 time slips...
    I don't own an RS 6. I thought about purchasing one but decided not to based on a friend's experiences with his, plus reading about others' experiences with theirs on this and other sites.

I also don't bash on them, regardless of what you might think. I am however, realistic about them and that's why I didn't buy one - it wouldn't have fit my needs. The truth is that I really like the C5 RS6, and would have liked to have owned one. However, times have changed and though its performance was exceptional when it was introduced, it is no longer as impressive in the context of newer options.

I wwill also point out that this is the RS 6, S6, RS7, S7 and S8 forum, NOT just the C5 RS 6 forum, so despite the fact that you and some others here are totally C5 RS 6-centric, the forum is open to many other models and owners.

Back on topic the OP's sentiment was that his C5 RS 6 isn't as fast as he expected it to be. That's because he ran up against a newer, (though "lesser") Mercedes that ate his lunch. That will be a regular occurrence for C5 RS 6 owners who decide to challenge newer, faster cars in contests of straight-line speed.

I appreciate the C5 RS 6 for what it is: a great-looking, unique and pretty fast, though also often fragile and flawed, machine.

I don't own an RS 6. I thought about purchasing one but decided not to based on a friend's experiences with his, plus reading about others' experiences with theirs on this and other sites.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Dude,

I get it we will never be buds.

But stop making blanket statements about a car you know nothing about.

No cls550 eats my lunch. Period

I also don't bash on them, regardless of what you might think. I am however, realistic about them and that's why I didn't buy one -

Back on topic the OP's sentiment was that his C5 RS 6 isn't as fast as he expected it to be. That's because he ran up against a newer, (though "lesser") Mercedes that ate his lunch. That will be a regular occurrence for C5 RS 6 owners who decide to challenge newer, faster cars in contests of straight-line speed.

I appreciate the C5 RS 6 for what it is: a great-looking, unique and pretty fast, though also often fragile and flawed, machine.

So wait, let me get this straight.

Im the jaded RS6 owner that has experienced financial hardship and wish it upon others?

Seriously?

Dude, get a life.

You come on here and ask for help. When a simple opinion does not meet your plan...you resort to this?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
    I see you've logged a number of posts and are a dedicated owner, but your know-it-all attitude is rather unwelcomed and unwelcoming. How do you know my trans is blown? Just because you've blown a few, perhaps, doesn't mean mine is blown. How do you know my RS6 is not well-sorted? Have you inspected my vehicle personally? How do you know I don't own a vag com and, setting aside this, why must I learn how to use it? Consider that some enthusiasts have great relationships with their mechanics and as a value proposition prefer to devote more energy towards creating net worth sufficient to enable them to enjoy their toys without belaboring the costs of ownership. If my torque converter fails, I can fix it. If my tranny blows I can replace it. If I decide this isn't the car for me, I can buy something else. I didn't choose this car because it was inexpensive; and, I didn't pool all my resources to make the purchase possible without regard to what it would cost to maintain. Frankly, I was about to replace the torque converter a month ago but half the people on this board said don't bother just wait until the tranny blows -- the other half reported that changing the converter or fluid gave them several years of problem-free driving. In the end, I didn't know what to do so I figured push the platform with a chip, let the weak points break and fix it up better than before. As with everything, mileage may vary but the vocal majority seem to be jaded owners whom have experienced RS6 financial hardship and, seemingly, wish the same fate for their fellow owners. That vibe sucks and is really ruining part of the camaraderie I had hoped to find here. I came on here to learn, not to be bashed. Constructive criticism is cool, but the tone of your response is not constructive. There's no technical information being provided such as can be found in other posters' responses for example. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    ...stop making blanket statements about a car you know nothing about...
    Right, because 13 years of watching this space, plus seeing the experiences of 4 friends first-hand, all of whom are local to me, taught me nothing about the car or its foibles...

/sarcasm

From wonky DRC systems and Audi's ridiculously late addressing of them, to bad N75 valves to transmissions that don't hold up, to leaky intercoolers, to needing to remove the engine to replace turbos, to RNS-E conversions, to having personally owned 3 C5s, I know plenty about the cars.

Your assumptions otherwise are plain false.

So wait, let me get this straight.

Im the jaded RS6 owner that has experienced financial hardship and wish it upon others?

Seriously?

Dude, get a life.

You come on here and ask for help. When a simple opinion does not meet your plan...you resort to this?

Cheers

Since I've begun posting here, OP has been good for requesting the last 6 of my VIN and asking for ownership history. OP's simple opinions to date have been that the rates I was quoted for repairs were too low, my tranny is blown and my RS6 is not well-sorted because I lost a street race to a cls550.

I have a life. It's rather rewarding. I didn't mean to challenge OP's RS6 message board prowess. His social order remains intact.

Thanks to posters like lswing, makaveli42 and 4everRS for your respective contributions. I hope OP takes notes.

OP's simple opinions to date have been that the rates I was quoted for repairs were too low, my tranny is blown and my RS6 is not well-sorted because I lost a street race to a cls550.
    I can express similar concerns for what it's worth for rates, tranny, and the 550. That aside, do what you need to about feeling comfortable with your ride. There are many rides on this forum with some stock and some not so stock. They run differently from day to day and person to person. Expect a full 2 or more seconds of difference in 1/4 mile performance between OEM and modified. A decade can indeed make a difference with total car performance, but there are only a handful that eek a good condition RS and the 550 isn't one of them. One that is is the newer RS6/7 and because NA doesn't have the 6, I have run a new RS7 on a trio of occassions and held with it each time. I am certain the 7 was OEM while I'm not, but still equal. Modifieid I wouldn't be able to keep with it as the gearing makes a sizeable difference.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Expect a full 2 or more seconds of difference in 1/4 mile performance between OEM and modified. A decade can indeed make a difference with total car performance, but there are only a handful that eek a good condition RS and the 550 isn't one of them. One that is is the newer RS6/7 and because NA doesn't have the 6, I have run a new RS7 on a trio of occassions and held with it each time. I am certain the 7 was OEM while I'm not, but still equal. Modifieid I wouldn't be able to keep with it as the gearing makes a sizeable difference.
    Are you saying that a modified RS6 can run the quarter in 10.6 seconds??? And you were door to door with an RS7 in your modified RS6? You have a 120 plus mph trap speed car then.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

I got ya bud. Good luck with your ride.....gonna need it.

I don't resort to name calling or attacking other owners and their perceived financial standing in the world. But clearly, you have such a temper.

Ass umptions are just that.

Many of us are indeed very busy and don't have time to rehash old topics over and over again. You could search as these items have been covered.

As with everything, mileage may vary but the vocal majority seem to be jaded owners whom have experienced RS6 financial hardship and, seemingly, wish the same fate for their fellow owners. That vibe sucks and is really ruining part of the camaraderie I had hoped to find here. I came on here to learn, not to be bashed. Constructive criticism is cool, but the tone of your response is not constructive. There's no technical information being provided such as can be found in other posters' responses for example. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    Are you saying that a modified RS6 can run the quarter in 10.6 seconds??? And you were door to door with an RS7 in your modified RS6? You have a 120 plus mph trap speed car then.
    An OEM RS7 doesn't run 10.6. A modded one does. I did state that I am certain each time the 7 was OEM. The one time was a highway run with the 7 out front doing a pass of two cars at once with me on it's heels. We hit 150 and I was on his ass. As for the 6 here - yes it traps 120 at 11.7 (albeit altitude corrected, but that's straight math that is tried tested and proven). Set-up is similar to what my one other ride was at that ran 11.9 @ 118 (have video if you want to see), except with gutted DP's, weight diet, and a few other odds and sods to eek out another cuple of tenths. There are a host of tunes out there and they are not all the same... IMO, it comes down entirely to the tranny being the specific difference that is responsible for a full second from the C5. The power levels are very similar in my experience.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

That is a fast RS6 you have there then.

I was referring to your comment about a 2 sec quarter mile difference between OEM and modified (not sure whether you were talking about an RS6 though). In the case of a modified RS6 that is a quarter mile in 10.6 secs (assuming you are comparing to OEM time of 12.6) unless you were referring to something else?
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    That is a fast RS6 you have there then.

I was referring to your comment about a 2 sec quarter mile difference between OEM and modified (not sure whether you were talking about an RS6 though). In the case of a modified RS6 that is a quarter mile in 10.6 secs (assuming you are comparing to OEM time of 12.6) unless you were referring to something else?
    Sorry, I had it in my head that a 'stock' off the showroom floor RS6 was 13.4-13.6'ish and a few of the quicker ones running 11.5-11.7 which is why I was referring to 2 seconds from base to modified. In following this forum for a few years, I have frequently seen members unhappy with runs in the 13's. I don't recall the car being baseline mid 12's. I guess I need a refresher on the basics....

I am aware that the new RS7 with an agressive tune can run in the mid 10's which I personally attribute to the improvements made in the transmission vs that of the engine.

Again, just my observations based upon real world experiences. It would be nice if there was a yearly event that we could gather at and show/run our rides for fun with others (like what is done with Buicks in Bowling Green).

I don't run mine in the 1/4 mile but there are the videos out there of Marc, 10seconds4 running a couple of back to back 11.8's with only a tune and gutted pre-cats. There are a few things an owner will learn over the years to keep his running in top shape and yes, Vagcom is an important part. It would take a pretty knowledgable indy to keep up with all of the nuances an RS6 can throw at you, and some of the issues won't throw codes but have to be learned from experience, data logging, and from others on the list. I would bet I could spend an hour with 50% of the RS6's out there and find something degrading performance, like was said, it is a 13yr old car.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    ...I guess I need a refresher on the basics....

...which I personally attribute to the improvements made in the transmission vs that of the engine...
    Yes, it appears that you DO need a refresher on the basics.

For instance, the bulk of the test results that appeared when the C5 RS 6 was introduced put its 1/4 mile time between 12.8 and 13.1 seconds, at 107-108 MPH.

Here's a representative example:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...di-rs-6-page-5

(note that the E55AMG was quicker/faster yet...)

Also, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that it's primarily transmission improvements that are responsible for newer cars' better performance. While things like launch control can help with ET and time to distance (such as 60' or 1/4 mile) they have little effect on trap speed. Higher trap speed requires power, so when a stock RS7 or E63AMG hits 120-124 mph in the 1/4 mile, that shows that those cars are making WAY more power than the C5 RS6. Like 150-200hp more. Here's an estimator that can be used to look at various scenarios:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

This suggests that the RS7 makes right at 200 hp more than the RS 6, given its 4450 lb. weight and 122 mph trap speed.

Now you're just being silly^^^...

Many modded cars are in the ballpark or above at 515hp/550tq similar to mine. A new stock 2013 RS7 is 516hp/560tq.

All numbers variable of course, but amazingly close for 13 years...and some mods

Now the RS7 has an amazing trans among other things, so it better be faster.

Paper, you should log some data, might give insight on any issues, boost leak maybe. Anyhow, most of the time these are amazing machines. My brother drives an E60 M5, he was pissed that I was faster to 100 with all my torque. The V10 M5 pulled like mad after that though.

Edit; RS7 probably puts down better percent to the wheels with its new drivetrain.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com