Thread: Engine might need to come out for valve cover gasket -what else?

Engine might need to come out for valve cover gasket -what else?

For the third time in less than a year, my RS6 with about 110K miles is leaking oil (two or three drops per night on the garage floor). The first time my Audi-trained now-independent mechanic replaced the valve cover gasket on both sides. He told me one side is pretty easy, the other is a major pain in the ass to do without removing the motor. It started leaking again less than two months after the first replacement and he went in and did the job again. Now it's leaking and he says he needs to get the engine out to do the job right (he's going to eat the time he has already spent on doing the job before).

These are the kinds of problems that lead to this awesome car getting scrapped. Or....

What else makes sense to tackle with the engine out? I can't go crazy with the $$$, but I'm open to any maintenance issues and perhaps some mods that are just too easy to do once the engine is pulled.

The timing belt is obviously high on the list. What else?

-Chris

hi,
    lots of posts on here about what to do when the engine is out, just search on here.
    as far as valve covers go, pretty simple with the engine in, only water pipe on p/s needs to be gently moved. depends if you still have the secondary air injection gunk on the back othewise no real big deal. i suspect more than valve covers if this keeps re-occuring, half moon seals or timing tensioner gasket?
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

New mechanic time...had most seals replaced and no leaks for years.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

valve cover gaskets can both be down without pulling the engine.
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I call BS

he does not know what he's doing

2nd opinion time

i would not let the first guy pull this engine.

This is usually how I end up with stray RS6s. I fix them right and enjoy them for years.

I've come to learn that valve cover gaskets are very tricky and it doesn't matter whether you use OEM or aftermarket.

It's all in the technique and 100% ensuring that everything is clean and properly seated ans torqued.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Any suggestions for a mechanic within 100 miles of Charlottesville, VA? It's probably not practical to mechanic-shop in this market...

I'll be really mad if when I go to do my timing chain tensioners and guides if my previously-dry valve covers start to leak after re-sealing them... seems to be a common thing?
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    B8S4 is a great little car,....
    What is that comment doing in this thread?

Strange one. I was in the other top thread and it posted in here. I hadn't even looked at this thread so I had to search my posts to find it here. Deleted here and re-posted in the other.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA