Thread: Plz Help: Need to Recharge AC System

Mech Plz Help: Need to Recharge AC System

Hey everyone, my vents aren't blowing cold. The car's been mostly sitting for the past couple years as it needed a body repair, then a new tranny which took a long time to get done, and then needed all new suspension and brakes. A lot to afford.

So anyway, my guess is that my AC gasses leaked out over the span of time or during one of the repairs. So can I recharge it as easily as I can in my Bronco?

Thanks for your help.
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Just as easily. I can E-mail you the low and High pressure port positions as soon as I get home from my trip.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Just as easily. I can E-mail you the low and High pressure port positions as soon as I get home from my trip.
    Agreed, just be careful not to overfill it. Not sure on total poundage to fill, but I know it's not a whole lot of R134A. Overfill will trip the pressure sensor after running the AC for less than a minute and that puts it in Eco mode (read: no actual cooling going on)

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Agreed, just be careful not to overfill it. Not sure on total poundage to fill, but I know it's not a whole lot of R134A. Overfill will trip the pressure sensor after running the AC for less than a minute and that puts it in Eco mode (read: no actual cooling going on)

O_E
    Could my car have been kicked into eco mode during any of my services mentioned above? Could that be why I'm not getting any a/c out the vents?
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZEN View Post
    Could my car have been kicked into eco mode during any of my services mentioned above? Could that be why I'm not getting any a/c out the vents?
    Probably not, unless they unhooked things wrong or the bodywork included getting down into the subframe area. When you turn on your AC, does it light up the bottom light on your HVAC Control panel? If so, that's ECO mode. Before you go wasting too much time/money getting the system refilled, you may want to have it checked for pressure and leaks - no point refilling if it's just going to leak back out again, yknow?

Good luck!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

What Other_Erik said. Your local Firestone should be able to do an A/C performance test to see if there are any leaks; a recharge isn't more than $150 usually. Thankfully mine still works pisser!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold