Thread: Quick questions about removing the engine

Quick questions about removing the engine

I'm getting ready to start my 6-speed swap, and I want to make sure I've got all the tools lined up. My general plan for engine removal is to put the car on jack stands, remove the front, drop the engine/trans as a unit and pull it out forward.

For those that did this with DRC intact, how did you avoid opening the system? I assume you can leave the struts attached to the car at the top and disconnect the lower mounts to allow the subframe to drop out, correct? Any other tips/thoughts?

For hoisting the engine, did you use a leveler, or just chain to the hoist? I don't have a leveler now, but I'll get one if it helps.

I've been reading through all the various swap threads and taking notes, so I'm pretty comfortable with the process. My goal is to try and get the swap done in less than a month (weekends and evening, working around Summer kids stuff and general life). I'm also doing most of the usual maintenance stuff like TB, valve cover gaskets, bufkin, etc... I want to hit the major items without going too nuts on touching every wearable part.

You can pull the drive axels, and swing the struts out of the way. No reason to disconnect the DRC (other than to get it the hell out of your car).

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Leave all contril arms on and leave struts fastened at the top. disconnect lower arms from cradle and pull out of the way. remove drive axle, and you're set. similar to the attached phot, except that without a lift you will also be disconnecting all the hoses and removing the radiator support.

(posted photo of another members car from a few years back on the lift)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	17482
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Perfect, thanks!