Thread: Calling all manual rs6 owners

Calling all manual rs6 owners

I have a broken rs6 sitting in my garage with a blown auto. My son has got most of the parts to do the swap. But I'm not sold yet, and wanted people with manual rs6's to tell me what they like verses just going the auto rebuild. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver Pearl, Apikol Side-mount IC, AutoSpeed Tune
    2001 A6 4.2 Brilliant Black, Stock

Not a manual owner but I would simply put a call/e-mail out to Tozo and see what his schedule look like. Ship the car to his shop and get the thing fixed as an Auto.
    That should give your car many more years of trouble free fun.

I'm converting mine now....slowly. Ask yourself do you need an Auto for traffic? If I commuted in heavy stop and go traffic with my RS then I wouldn't have converted, but I don't. If you want better performance and control, then the manual is 100lbs lighter and you get less drivetrain losses through the manual than you get with the shitty 5HP24A the RS6 has. These are just a start, you probably already have a preference one way or the other. If it was one of the later more efficient and quicker shifting Autos I most likely wouldn't have converted it either, I like manuals but I already have a couple of others and the RS6 is a grand touring car. It's really up to you, don't let your son talk you into something you don't want one way or the other.
    Last edited by hahnmgh63; May 21st, 2016 at 03:16.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I like to drive an auto with paddle shifting, enough said. If you and the boy have the time and expertise and $ and want a manual then go for it. You'll need it tuned after the swap, plus variables, add on $2k.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I can say without hesitation that my swap was a complete pain in the balls compared to anything I've ever done. Granted, I went through top to bottom, replacing every seal, sensor, camshaft adjuster pads, t-belt, bufkin, turbos, fuel pump. We have a very well equipped shop and it was still time consuming. As long as you enter into the project with that understanding you should be fine.

And definitely plan to go over budget on unforeseen parts!

Just for comparison, my buddy installed an RK supercharger and twin disk in his e39 M5 in about two days, taking his time!
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

What hahnmgh said.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

If you're not sure why you'd want a manual, then you probably don't. Although it sounds like your son does.

As stated above, the simplest (and less expensive) way to get it fixed is to ship the car to Tozo (Chicago area) and have him professionally rebuild the auto.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    If you're not sure why you'd want a manual, then you probably don't.

This....
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I have SteveKen's black RS swap with manual along with a C5 S6 with automatic. I originally approached Steve about doing a 6 speed swap into my S6. All (10) of my previous Audis have been manual and I was starting to miss the third pedal. I agree with what was stated above, you have to be committed to a manual swap, you can't swap back if you change your mind (well you can but...). Now that I have the manual RS, I kind of like having automatic in the S6. Base your decision on your personal need/desires/intended usage.
    '02 RS6 Avant conversion
    '03 S8 Avus
    '89 964

Stick with auto if you're even asking the question.

Who is doing the work? Yokust works at Apikol

be sure the trans builder knows this unit.

Send trans to tozo and let yokust r&r the assembly

Quote Originally Posted by mmacalus View Post
    I have a broken rs6 sitting in my garage with a blown auto. My son has got most of the parts to do the swap. But I'm not sold yet, and wanted people with manual rs6's to tell me what they like verses just going the auto rebuild. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

How much power can tozo trannys hold?
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver Pearl, Apikol Side-mount IC, AutoSpeed Tune
    2001 A6 4.2 Brilliant Black, Stock