Thread: My First Post

My First Post

Hello All:

I'm happy to be able to join the ranks. I'd lurked on here for a month or so before recently purchasing an RS6. I drove it for a month or so before bombarding you with a lot of premature questions. This is a car I have always wanted and I'm excited to finally add it to the collection.

Mine is Daytona on Black with about 78K miles: I know it's a common color, but goes to the car's stealthy nature. No coilovers, original system recently gone over and functioning properly. No mods except the stereo was upgraded to the RNS-E unit prior to my purchase. The dash navigation arrows still work in conjunction with the on-screen display. Stock wheels with Pilot Sports and bought new front rotors and brakes right after purchase. So far that's the extent of my repairs but I am in no way disillusioned about maintenance costs. I apparently have a bad motor mount which is not pressing but throws off a code. There's also an exhaust temp code that was old which we'll monitor.

Oh yeah, the check engine light has come on a few times throwing off the P0441 code which is the purge canister. No worries. I ran her really hard once and heard the geese noises so I'm guessing it won't hurt to replace the diverter valves. 034 motorsport has the original stock replacements (I'm familiar with that noise as my last twin turbo -- a 1990 Dinan BMW 750iL -- needed the same...freaked me out at first lol). So far the tranny has been spot on and my mechanic who happens to also own a C5 RS6 agrees that it seems strong. He's in the middle of converting his to stick and has kindly offered me his old tranny if it comes to that...THANKS! smh.

Now that that's out of the way, there are a few topics I'd like some guidance on. I've read the various threads but the info is either unclear or outdated.

1. Tuning -- 034 offers a chip and tip chip that seems to be a good value. Shifting quicker and harder is not always a good thing. More hp is not always a good thing. I've heard some say the tip chip can give the tranny longer life and others say the opposite. I'm open to any suggestions on combos in the US; or, as the case may be, the suggestion to leave the car stock. I'd love some honest input into the value, or downside, of chipping this vehicle.

2. Wheels -- I want to know if 19's degrade the ride much. I'm looking at other Audi OEM wheels in this size but the car drives nicely on stock wheels and I also don't want a stupid look that belies the era. For reference, I have an '01 S8 the wifey drives with stock wheels and a Porsche Cayenne S with 22 inch Porsche replicas that drives great. I went up to staggered 18's on my (now sold) 1994 Mercedes E500 which was a plus two move and loved it.

3. Audio -- I used to be heavy into car audio. This was in the late 80's to mid 90's. Cars changed and I got older, but I have a lot of old/new stock from projects that never materialized. For those who can relate, I have a/d/s 325is, JL10IB4 (free air), Sounstream, McIntosh, and the list goes on. What I want to do is use the RSN-E head unit to the best of its ability. I'd also like to use whatever interfaces are available to modernize the vehicle such as aux in (for ipod), backup camera, dvd, wifi, etc. Can one get good sound out of this head unit? If the answer is no, then I'll let my stuff keep collecting dust until I can slap my harman kardon traffic pro in a twin turbo 911 one day or pick up an older project with a standard DIN opening.

Sorry if I've asked too much too soon but it took forever to get posting privileges...maybe there's some wisdom to that process. Thanks in advance and thanks for having this forum.

Welcome! Looks like you've got a good handle on things. I've got a website in my signature with a variety of general info...manuals under the Extra tab...info on how to solder your own EGT issue under Maintenance tab.

I'm TCU chipped with MTM. This did tighten up shifting a bit, also raised shift points some. Now, the 034 shifting pressure has been questioned on here, but not sure if it was just the end user already having trans issues. Handful of others have the 034 ECU/TCU so maybe they can chime in. I can say, that since I got my trans rebuilt, and the valve body pressure upgraded, it will hit gears hard at times, which might allude to your idea of it being worse for the trans. Sure my clutch packs won't spin as much, but more force can snap the input shaft. Basically, if you tune the car you're starting to play with fire...driving style dependent.

I'm tuned for a decent power upgrade with the water meth and custom fueling, so that has certainly helped in the breaking of a few transmissions for me. I would say do the TCU tune for sure, if you're tuning the ECU...you will be able to tell if it drives fine and if you can get away with some hard runs. Only issue is the TCU is a solder in chip, so it's mostly a one and done deal for the brand you choose.

Use Google to search the forum by typing "site:rs6.com searchterm", works much better.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks, lswing. Your site is very cool and informative. I had seen your write-up on the EGT soldering solution, but did not mention it to my new mechanic for fear of coming off like a "know-it-all". If the code persists, that's step one of troubleshooting, however. Most of the chips seem to state similar hp gains; and, given the age of the car, I suspect the technology's similar. Any real world input? Does the car merely feel faster and have higher shift points or has anyone quantified improvements to 0-60 or quarter mile times? The water meth fueling read was something I hadn't considered, but I'd probably get a tune to run at 93 octane just to stay turn-key. And thanks for the google search tip!

Welcome! Do or Die fan? They had a song paperchase back in the day lol
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Thanks! I know the song, but my moniker refers to the movie.

Much faster with the ECU tune, 50/75 hp/tq roughly, brings it to life! Look into Eurocharged, AMD, EPL...Revo, GIAC, Uni are bottom of the list, poor fueling and such.

Viper in Europe does both I think. TCU is harder to find, MTM if you buy used. 034 and maybe AMD new.

Heat soak is a big issue in warmer climates, the water meth helps a bunch with that.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Unequivocally, there is no more appropriate title to a first post.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Welcome to the crazy train. Where is Ozzie

last 6 of vin please

DHall, I DM'd you the VIN.

Separately, I spent the weekend in a few high end car audio shops discussing options that allow me to keep the upgraded RNS-E unit. It was nostalgic and sad to see what has become of the aftermarket car audio industry. I have a plan, however, but I need some help from forum members.

I really need some info on this Audi unit that was installed as they all look the same but are capable of different functionality. I don't want to leave it up to a shop to do this research. I know many have referenced a NJ fellow that ships these out, but I can't seem to find his contact info. Specifically, I'm trying to install a mini jack (option comes up on the display but no jack), a backup camera, Bluetooth if possible, a CD changer (only SD Cards for now which I finally got to work) and perhaps DVD playback (DVD uses the NAVI disk and I'm guessing won't play video). Any help in identifying my unit and it's capabilities or interface options is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zawa is his name I think.

Just use Google to search the site, a few people here had it dialed in. But you're asking a lot from a 13 year old deck...

Thanks! You may be right about the limitations of the head unit, but several shops have had success getting good SQ using an audison bit one preamp/processor. Even with the speaker level leads I'm told the RSN-E is capable of good sound with the right setup. So far it seems bluetooth is possible, DVD play not and backup camera still to be determined. I will share whatever I find with the board: right now it's all speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
    Thanks! You may be right about the limitations of the head unit, but several shops have had success getting good SQ using an audison bit one preamp/processor. Even with the speaker level leads I'm told the RSN-E is capable of good sound with the right setup. So far it seems bluetooth is possible, DVD play not and backup camera still to be determined. I will share whatever I find with the board: right now it's all speculation.
    Video in motion and backup camera are possible. There's a robust user's group here (among other places): http://audiforum.us/forums/rns-e.40/ For basic info, google Teddybgame and or/NSXjr (in combo with RNS-E). I don't think he's in the business any longer, but much of his old info is still around.

Yea one of the Indy's in my area says he has his RNS-E in an Allroad playing DVD too....never seen it but I believe him.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.