Thread: Is this where I say hello?

Is this where I say hello?

Hi guys, I'm Nick. Been on the hunt for an RS car for a while, and as it has over the last several years, my attention has returned to the RS6. I haven't been on a forum in probably five years, since I last really used my RX7, so forgive my lack of protocol. I know that I should use the search function and read the stickies, especially to become familiar with the maintenance schedule so I know what to expect in time with whichever vehicle I purchase.

I'm located in New Jersey, so to any members between Philadelphia and Manhattan, it would be great to become acquainted; also, I'd like to become familiar with reliable RS mechanics/techs in the area. As of now, I have driven a couple of RS6, an RS4, and will be driving at least one TTRS this weekend. Not sure if that's blasphemy in this section, but as of now the RS6 graces the top of my food chain.

I like the tunability of turbocharged cars, despite being often more complex than those that are naturally aspirated. I also understand that the transmission/torque converter are the weak spots in the drive train when upping the power on the beast. I actually like the automatic gearbox as a good amount of my time is highway commuting and that involves some days where congestion can be fiercely stop and go. AWD is a pretty common denominator on all of the cars on my shortlist, including those not of the RS family, as I live in the northeast and I would like to daily the car year-round. Exclusivity that tends to come with the RS badging is also high on my priorities. I am a fan of being a little bit different in an area where many people strive to be the best at normal. I just want it to feel special and to be a point of pride for me.

My search has brought me to a few cars with reasonable mileage, and I'm attempting to look over service records to make sure that claims of the torque converter and DRC being replaced are substantiated. I'm also looking for when the timing belt, brakes, and tires were serviced, as those seem to be frequent and somewhat costly procedures. I'm sure that additional advice can be found in already existing threads, but if anyone has two cents I'm all ears.

Cheers,
    Nick

Welcome, and hello! The right place for that!

You will find volumes of good technical info on this site with many very knowledgeable members, many of whom do their own auto work on their RS6's. If you a reconsidering buying a 2003/4 RS6 keep in mind the price of maintenance is very high and with 14 year old cars repairs are very likely to be needed.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Thanks, Mike! That is exactly why I'm here. And likely repairs are exactly why I haven't moved on any otherwise attractive deals just yet. I would like to feel a bit more comfortable both with anticipating the maintenance, as well as the already completed maintenance on whichever example I end up buying. It's just those stories of $28k in maintenance the first year of purchase that could shake any man. I understand that everyone's experience is different, and feel that the more I do my homework, the less I will be surprised (hopefully).

Yes, welcome, lots of info on here. The search function isn't great, so use "site:rs6.com whatyoursearchingfor" in Google.

Don't be silly, you can only expect $5-10k worth of maintenance each year. Kidding, somewhat, numbers vary by mileage and how hard you drive.

Being able to do some work, or having a trusted indy mechanic, is one of the most important issues with this car. Seems like you're on the right track with problems to look for.

There is a pattern of VIN #'s below 905500 having early tc/trans failure, after that they have been good for 100-150k. Tuning the car will greatly reduce your tc/trans life if driven hard.

Unfortunately due to the car closing in on 15 years, many issues can show up, some varying in cost. But just for reference, I had a fuel pump leak $900, and a radiator leak $1,300, most of that being parts cost. Last year had a shop repair/replace my cam tensioners, $4k. Trans can fall between $5-10k.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thank you! I am really trying to find a good independent mechanic that has some experience working on cars of this caliber; that is some serious cost for a radiator and fuel pump, haha.

I saw the sticky of VINs, that's really interesting and I will look out for that. Is it normal that a trans/tc would fail a second time if it had been replaced? I'm not going to beat on the car, but I don't want to be afraid of putting my foot to the floor on a stretch of open road every now and then. Also, thanks for the heads up on the backdoor way to search the site. I can see that becoming very useful.