Thread: The Koni Yellow option to the DRC

The Koni Yellow option to the DRC

So I've been reading up on all the extensive posts on the Koni Yellows w/stock spring set-up as an option to the DRC. I assume those using it are installing the Koni 82-2516 and 2526 Sport shocks. There is also a Koni FSD option #2100-4044. So I called Koni Tech center in Ky and discussed these scenarios. Koni commented that neither of these options are "approved" for the RS6. They are approved for the 98-04 A6 Quattro with sport suspensions but not verified/validated to fit the RS6. I don't know the intimate details on the differences say between the 4.2 and 2.7t w/sport suspension and our RS6. Also the lifetime warranty would not apply if installed on the RS6. With that said I see others are using it and making it work. I'm facing a decision on what to do, as my DRC is failing. I want to maintain the ride height and feel of the DRC. I know there is also the less expensive Bilstein PSS (B14) coil option vs. the PSS9 (B16). Did also speak with 2 Bennett - they use the Koni Sports and add new springs, all new bushings, etc (fully set- to your liking) ready to direct install - this is about $2200. Just thought I'd throw out what I learned.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzanrs6 View Post
    Also the lifetime warranty would not apply if installed on the RS6.
    I can't promise your results from Koni on a lifetime warranty, but I've had both rears replaced under the "lifetime warranty" due to the foot valves malfunctioning. ....Foot valve's weakness is very cold weather (-25F and colder.)

The primary difference between the RS6 suspension geometry and the 98-04 A6 w/sport suspension is the spring rate and spring length (RS6 sits slightly lower)-----Therefore, Koni doesn't recommend Yellows or FSD's as an ideal swap. ...I've used Yellows for over 84K miles.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Thanks for your feedback. How do you find the ride "feel" with your set-up vs the DRC? Also where did you end up setting the Koni's to ?

Thanks for your feedback. How do you find the ride "feel" with your set-up vs the DRC? Also where did you end up setting the Koni's to ?
    Nothing has changed since this post:
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23...light=koni+diy

Agree with others tho: DRC is the best comprimise of everything IF it's functioning correctly.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Can you explain the "perch settings" in your discussion thread ?
    Thanks

The rears have three spring perch settings to determine ride height. Some have set it to the lowest setting. I used the "out of box" setting which I am happy with.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Can you explain the "perch settings" in your discussion thread ?
    Thanks
    A very quick Google image search of "Koni Yellow perch" yields the pics below... If you've replace struts, used a spring compressor, removed pinch bolts, swapped control arms etc, this is a doable and straight forward DIY task. If not, have an indy shop perform the swap---or have someone onsite assist you the entire way. ...Plenty of write-ups and videos online to search and study how to replace Koni Yellow struts----there isn't anything unique or specific to the RS6. ...Perhaps the most confusing step is setting the rebound dampening. Good luck.

Can I ask a stupid question while we're on the topic: I installed my front Konis and had my indy tech do the rears while also installing the front lower control arms. I never made a mental note of where the damping adjustment was on these. It is at the top of the strut shaft, and where would I go in the car to adjust them?
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

The adjustment is made by compressing the shaft into the strut until it bottoms out, then turning the shaft left (softer) or right (firmer.) Strut needs to be out of the car, and the spring removed.