Thread: Issue when hitting bumps or pot holes

Arrow Issue when hitting bumps or pot holes

A sound out of the back end has started developing when I hit rough terrain on the roads like small pot holes etc.Sounds like a wheel bearing or something but not sure. Anyone ever experience this and what was the fix? I will take it in just wanted to see what peeps say on here about it.

If it's a clunk, odds are it's the DRC assuming you still have it. Look for wet spots around your stuts/shocks. My drivers front braided hose sprung a leak from rot and coated the entire inner fender well.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

The rear braided hoses near the two accumulators too. That is where mine failed last. Every time i have thought it was something else, clunk wise, it was always DRC.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Yeah it's not a clunk sound... Everytime I hit something on the roadways like a bump or whatever...I just feel it more now then before, my 1st thought was shocks.

If not a clunk, perhaps you could articulate what kind of sound you are hearing... A bad wheel bearing usually makes a scraping or grinding sound---especially when cornering hard.

I'd check shock mounting bolts, sway-bar mounting bolts/hardware and finally shocks if the sound primarily occurs over rough terrain/bumps.......
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    If not a clunk, perhaps you could articulate what kind of sound you are hearing... A bad wheel bearing usually makes a scraping or grinding sound---especially when cornering hard.

I'd check shock mounting bolts, sway-bar mounting bolts/hardware and finally shocks if the sound primarily occurs over rough terrain/bumps.......

Yeah it's more like a knock I guess when I drive over bumps even real small ones...just not as smooth as it has been. Anyone know of a site to buy shocks from on case that's what I need? Thanks

Stock shocks...cheapest I found was audionlineparts.com (Audi of Meadowlands). When I had a knock (mine seemed to be at slow speeds over bumps or dips) it turned out to be loose sub frame bolts. I don't have DRC on my car any more ( bought the car like that).
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS