Thread: Brake fault light, but no codes

Brake fault light, but no codes

So my brake fault light is on, but my pads are fine. What's weird/annoying is that VCDS shows no codes whatsoever--why is there an error that triggers a fault light but that throws no code? Seems to me that, if there's a fault signal reaching the dash light, it should be reaching my super-expensive diagnostic program.

Anyway, the other day the light went off for a while, then I hit a bump and it came back on. This suggests to me that I've got a loose pad sensor? Does anybody recall off the top of their heads which corners have the sensors so I don't have to pull off more than one wheel?

Doublecheck the connectors. The wear sensor is simply an open ground, so if the pads are good, it's highly probable the connector isn't coupled. Oh, and sensors are only on the front wheels (both).
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Yes, those connectors have to properly disconnected and re-connected, they rotate into position and lock. I agree it's most likely a loose connection. I clean the contacts with contact clearer every time I change the brakes.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Yes, those connectors have to properly disconnected and re-connected, they rotate into position and lock. I agree it's most likely a loose connection. I clean the contacts with contact clearer every time I change the brakes.

Mike
    I will check the connectors this weekend. I cannot recall, though, are there connectors at all four corners, or only one per "axle"? If the latter, which wheels are they at?

Also, does anybody have any idea why this information doesn't show up in the VCDS?

There are only sensor on the front brakes 1 each side,wery simple system

Quote Originally Posted by mgerity View Post
    I cannot recall, though, are there connectors at all four corners, or only one per "axle"? If the latter, which wheels are they at?
    Answered in post #2.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Check the wires on the pads as well if they're broken the light will turn on.
    03 RS6 Avus Silver, Ebony Interior, 133K Mi, Yellow Koni's, Hotchkis Sway Bars, 0A3 6MT, Blake Beadle Custom Tune, Vin 905641

Quote Originally Posted by 415RS6 View Post
    Check the wires on the pads as well if they're broken the light will turn on.
    Well, finally got the wheel off this weekend. VERY annoying to find that the sensor wires are simply broken right at the sensor on the pad. These things are molded into the pads, so you can't just replace the sensors. Instead, now I've got to pop $200 for a new set of pads (Hawk HPS) because the wires broke.

So, what I can't figure out is how the wires could have broken there in the first place. Obviously I want to avoid this happening again, so is there anything I need to keep in mind about threading the wires to keep them out of harm's way, or any other tips to prevent this?

No, just stick the wires together to complete the circuit. Must be how they were installed, first I've heard of this.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

As lswing said, don't buy new pads for now. Just twist the wires together and seal the ends. Also, as Aronis said, I always use "Progold" contact enhancer on every plug I ever disconnect and re-connect, a good piece of mind.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA