Thread: RS6 Driveshaft Center Bearing

RS6 Driveshaft Center Bearing

Can anyone confirm that the RS6 Center Bearing is supposed to be offset off of the center line approximately 19mm towards the passenger side?

I can see this could be done to keep the center U joint operating at an angle to cause the needle rollers to rotate and not brinell. Just looks pretty strange sighting down the shaft to see this kink at the center bearing. New shaft to the car so it justifies a double check.

Rick

The bearing sits in line both vertically and horizontally with the centerline of the two drive shafts - i.e. angle of input and output of the driveshaft assembly is the same as though it was 1 piece vs. 2. What that translates to for the mounting bracket as it mounts to the chassis could visually appear 'off center'. There are shims washers and elongataed holes to permit fine adjustment to ensure linear alignment when first installed.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Bigglezworth, thanks for the reply. A shop manual and Google mimicked the info you supplied. The new center bearing was bent which triggered the question before I called the company that supplied the new shaft. It has been appropriately tweaked. Some precision V block and a straight edge dialed it in.

Rick