Thread: RS6 Manual Conversion Clutch Kit Options & Reviews

RS6 Manual Conversion Clutch Kit Options & Reviews

Hi guys,
    well I have all the parts for the manual conversion.
    Just want to hear about clutch setups before making the last piece purchase.
    Wanted to get feedback from what clutch kits people are using and how they like or don't like them.
    Figure by now there should be few kits out there.
    Thanx!

Use "site:rs6.com manual clutch", or your choice of terms, in Google. Some extensive recent threads.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I've never heard of any problems with SPEC Stage 3 +

Personally, if you can get in touch with AMD, have them pick one for you based on your level of intended tuning.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

i went with SOUTHBEND Stage III+ (endurance) clutch with @SteveKen's conversion kit and wish i would have gone Stage IV. the clutch "feels" and engages extremely smoothly and doesn't feel like its got the amount of power and tq on it that it does. Drives just fine in traffic, not too stiff. but it struggles in hard torquey pulls. at about 1600 miles on the 6Spd swap/clutch.

BigD
    so has the clutch actually slipped on you under full pedal acceleration?
    what do you mean by struggles in hard pulls?
    I take it the car is with stock turbos correct?
    Whose manual software are you running?
    Stage III Endurance...I don't see + stage III
    I rather have smooth engagement should be great, why have a stiff clutch pedal?
    Also I see that you are in California
    where?
    I am by san Francisco
    Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by b5widebody View Post
    BigD
    so has the clutch actually slipped on you under full pedal acceleration?
    what do you mean by struggles in hard pulls?
    I take it the car is with stock turbos correct?
    Whose manual software are you running?
    Stage III Endurance...I don't see + stage III
    I rather have smooth engagement should be great, why have a stiff clutch pedal?
    Also I see that you are in California
    where?
    I am by san Francisco
    Thanx

Im running Daz(RIP) tune. I'm on stock turbos, with Wagner IC setup, walbro 450 fuel pumps, gutted Main cats, Milltek Resinator Midpipes with 3" straight pipe the rest of the way. Full Apikol\stern mount setup. Stasis 4:1 centerdiff, Jhm short shifter...: soon to be doing injectors, water/meth, and bigger turbos. The clutch slips a little under hard load like 3rd gear cruising to full throttle. I mentioned the smoothness of the clutch because I EXPECTED IT TO BE MORE AGGRESSIVE. I actually love the way it drives. I WOULD HAVE GONE WITH THE STAGE IV if I'd have known the stage III endurance was so smooth. Bi assume the jump from 3 to 4 won't be that big of a difference in drivability.

I'm also running the Daz tune but with AMD Stage 3+ ceramic 8 puck. 5k+ miles in with no slipping. Experienced some rear wheel hop from a stop early on but nothing in the last few thousand miles. If you decide to install the USP stainless clutch line, protect it with heat shield or make sure it's routed well away from the turbo. I thought I had but it melted the plastic jacket.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I also am running the USP stainless clutch line but I ran it behind the heat shield and have it coming back out right above the slave cylinder, looks to be clear of the Turbos but I'll check again.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I also am running the USP stainless clutch line but I ran it behind the heat shield and have it coming back out right above the slave cylinder, looks to be clear of the Turbos but I'll check again.

Yep, same path behind the engine bay heat shield (steering rack cover) and secured with a rubber hose clamp on the factory stud ala SteveKen. The problem is where mine made a 90 deg into the slave cylinder. I tried to route it through the original clutch line bracket but didn't secure the line to it. So there seemed to be enough slack that it slipped really close to the turbine housing. Last time I was under the car the hose jacket had yellowed and became brittle at that location.

Debating upgrading to the metal slave cylinder that includes a stainless clutch line with the -AN 90 deg end.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

AMD stage 4 clutch here. She bites hard, not the friendliest in stop and go but holds the power. I have well over 10K miles on it, no signs of slipping. If you want bite and easy drivability, you might do an organic twin disk.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Looks like i might have to join the 6speed club, ugh. Sucks to start from scratch on this, just missed out on a local manual a6. She's slippin' when warm on redline D4/oem mix

Someone sell me a fully built auto, and input shaft.... please.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

I'll have to check the routing for mine. I also went with the Metal slave along with the braided line.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    Looks like i might have to join the 6speed club, ugh. Sucks to start from scratch on this, just missed out on a local manual a6. She's slippin' when warm on redline D4/oem mix

Someone sell me a fully built auto, and input shaft.... please.
    I really dont want to say this for fear of me needing it, but last time I checked with Tozo he had a fully built one, granted to OE spec, sitting around waiting to go in someone's car.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I'll have to check the routing for mine. I also went with the Metal slave along with the braided line.
    You might be alright. Kicking myself for not dropping the $200 for the metal unit in the first place. I spent that between the 3 OE plastic units I blew out before getting the 4th aligned correctly. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    You might be alright. Kicking myself for not dropping the $200 for the metal unit in the first place. I spent that between the 3 OE plastic units I blew out before getting the 4th aligned correctly. Live and learn.
    I'm currently debating which option to go with for the clutch line and slave, but it looks likes the USP setup is the way to go. It also sounds like some heat-wrap tubing would be a good idea for the line down by the turbos.

I ran the USP stainless braided line and USP metal slave cylinder for 10k miles, and the clear coating on the stainless line looked just fine when I pulled it out. That said, I did wrap the turbos in titanium insulation blankets, and heat wrapped the down pipes.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.