Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tarp or sell?

I think it's reasonable to expect to budget $2-3k per year on maintenance and repair for our cars. Some years you might get lucky, others you might get clobbered with a full brake job, trans failure, etc.

In the past 14 months I've been hit with three blown tires, a leaking steering rack, torn axle boot, failed alternator and battery, front brake replacement, worn struts/control arms, and seized rear caliper.

The prior year I only replaced a faulty coolant temp sensor to the tune of $27.

Win some, lose some. Hope my trans holds out for at least a couple more years so I can do the T-belt next year and not kill myself if something else goes wrong. Just keep listening to those turbos spool; it's therapy for all the madness!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Decision has been made to sell. Hopefully I'll be able to not get as thoroughly f*cked as originally thought. Stats below and hopeful selling price:

The "bad"
    136k miles on chassis

The good
    --FULL-- Documentation from Day 1 of original owner (Aug 4th, 2004) to present. Thick folder full of receipts and service records.
    39k miles on Engine, Transmission, TC, and driver-side K04
    ~7k miles on passenger-side K04
    KWV3 (39k miles) and Hotchkis suspension (4k miles) upgrades
    SE Exhaust and CF Interior in black on black coloring
    TB/WP/pulleys/etc job done at 130k miles (6k miles on it)
    RNS-E installed, Bluetooth Module included
    K-40 front/rear radar detector and laser jammer (license plate mounts)
    RS5 Scallop front rotors, 2-piece ECS rear rotors, Hawk HPC pads all around, Calipers services with new boots and lubricants, Fluid flushed with DOT5.1 ~4k miles ago
    Summer setup: PSS's on stock refinished rims with ~6k miles on them
    Winter setup: Blizzak's on stock refinished rims painted Lava Grey with ~4k miles on them
    Wall-mount tire/wheel rack for storing second set still in box ($400ish)

Most Recent service: Replaced EGT's, removed SAI, replumbed all vac lines under the UIM, replaced Aux water pump, BND Steering Pump flush and lube, CPS replaced, UIM gaskets replaced, Injector O-rings replaced
    2nd Most Recent service: Cam Tensioners, Cam Plugs, Alternator, and Valve Cover Gaskets

So including purchase, total cost to me has been ~$41k to own it for less than three years. Think I'll be able to get $22k back since it's tip-f'ing-top with every bell and whistle except warm weather package?
    Last edited by Other_Erik; April 11th, 2016 at 11:46. Reason: More stuff
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Sell is a good choice given the situation. If I spent that kind of cash on any vehicle it would be auction time.

My carry cost for 3 running RS6s per year is about $1200 dollars total. Plates and insurance.

Choose where you live very carefully.

I'm at the point of selling mine as well :/