Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got one...

I got one...

Well I could not justify to myself buying 1 used s6 when I could just about buy 3 rs6 for the same price. I was close to buying a red rs6 out in arizona but long story short after messing back and forth for about a month it didn't work out. Was looking on CL and a Mugello blue, ebony,carbon popped up somewhat close to me. Drove it home last night. Has 64k miles

Vin: 904458

The bad:
    Has oil in coolant
    Turbos may need a rebuild see some smoke on deceleration and looks like oil residue in exhaust
    Brakes rotors are shot
    Buttons are wore off inside on climate control stuff
    Arm rest top is broke.
    Headliner is starting to come down in the back.
    Radio is awful
    Check engine light is on.

The good:
    It's an RS6. Duh.
    Tires are pretty new
    Paint ,body is good
    Has upgraded sway bars
    Miltech downpipes
    Miltech resonated exhaust
    I have some paperwork saying it has an Stratosphere mod from the dealer. Not sure what all that entails but stage 3 tune as well

First things I need to fix as I'm not gonna be driving for a bit is the headliner and interior bits. Anyone recommend how to fix the headliner. And where to source new interior plastics?
    I have a D ring steering wheel from an audi R8 laying around I had. Like to put that in there. Need to find an airbag.
    The av gear is pretty dated. May gut all of that and do something new

I need to find out what the check engine light is all about and do the timing belt. Best place for sourcing all the parts ?
    If I have to pull the motor I'll do o2, egt, turbos .

As for oil in the coolant, I'm guessing oil cooler has gone bad? Thoes plastic tubes i read aboit maybe? Could be a head gasket but not likely I'm thinking. Possibly the turbos doing it? Any guesses?

Where is the best place to source new rotors and pads. Which pads do most recommend.

Better deal with oil in coolant first

Hope you got it for 10k. That's a hefty list of repairs. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vas160s View Post
    Hope you got it for 10k. That's a hefty list of repairs. :-)
    Was going to say the same thing! I hope you paid $10k for one in this condition.

Good luck, the parts costs and labor time can really add up. Just make sure the work is done right.

Google search will be your friend as the search here isn't so good. Use "site:rs6.com parts to fix my broken rs6", or your search term of choice. Go back then forward in your browser if you run into junk links.

Blauparts, Auto Haus AZ, Genuine Audi, all seem rated well for parts.

The metal coolant pipe to replace the broken plastic one can be found on eBay, James Bufkin.

Zimmerman rotors are basically OEM, not branded, a few hundred less. Rotors are directional per side due to cooling veins. Hawk HPS or EBC Yellow pads.

Editing again, you need this, ross-tech.com

Here's a good list of parts and numbers, http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance
    Last edited by lswing; March 30th, 2016 at 16:07.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I'd have to agree with the others, seems like a fairly heft repair list for that mileage. Oil in the Coolant would make me nervous. Usually the plastic pipe just causes a coolant leak on the ground so do to the Cooler design I would look elsewhere. Get it scanned and find out where the Oil in the Coolant is coming from, could be a very big deal.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Congrats! You have a lot of searching to do! Pro tip: use google to search this site like so: "site:rs6.com oil cooler pipe"

I'm interested to hear what is causing oil in the coolant. Hopefully it's just the stupid plastic pipe - the replacement you want is from James Bufkin.

The best fix for the buttons I've seen is sourcing a pre-facelift (98-01) climate control unit with the hard plastic buttons and swapping just the buttons over. It matches well enough and there's no more soft-touch junk to wear off.

For parts, I'd recommend sticking with OEM where possible. There are a ton of sites to purchase from but I usually use: Europaparts.com, FCPEuro.com, Amazon, and some of the dealers that sell online.

Good luck @CarolinaCat. Sounds like it will be fun to get this beast up to standard.
    Here is the list of items and places I got parts for my 70K mile service, which includes some of the items you are looking for.
    My 70K mile service

Are you sure it's motor oil? I seem to remember someone asking about trans fluid in their coolant recently. Possible suspect was the trans cooler in the radiator.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Sounds more like a $7,500 RS6... I hope the issues are not as bad as you imagine and/or you have excellent mechanical skills.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

My mechanical skills will be tested probally. But not scared of it at all. I'm not so sure it's not mixed coolants in there. Like I said I'm not driving it. Got it home gonna have to sit for a while. I have another project I have to finish up so it can go to its new owner. Then maybe i will be able to get involved with the rs6.

Good to know about the earlier climate control buttons not having the soft touch mess on there. Mine look like a cat got hold of them.

I have already ordered the aluminum pipe. For when I tackle the timing belt.

I bought this to replace a newer jetta gli but the wife dosent seem to care for it too much. Suits me fine if she had no intention of driving it I'll do a six speed swap while I pull the motor to do the turbos and such.

Yes indeed I feel i got a good deal on it even with.

Out of all the things listed I'm most bummed about the headliner starting to sag.

My mechanical skills will be tested probally. But not scared of it at all. I'm not so sure it's not mixed coolants in there. Like I said I'm not driving it. Got it home gonna have to sit for a while. I have another project I have to finish up so it can go to its new owner. Then maybe i will be able to get involved with the rs6.

Good to know about the earlier climate control buttons not having the soft touch mess on there. Mine look like a cat got hold of them.

I have already ordered the aluminum pipe. For when I tackle the timing belt.

I bought this to replace a newer jetta gli but the wife dosent seem to care for it too much. Suits me fine if she had no intention of driving it I'll do a six speed swap while I pull the motor to do the turbos and such.

Yes indeed I feel i got a good deal on it even with.

Out of all the things listed I'm most bummed about the headliner starting to sag.

I just went and really looked at the coolant. . Fairly certain it's motor oil in there. Is the oil cooler on these cars like the ones I'm familiar with on heavy diesel motors. Basicly brass tube that coolant passes thru and on the opposite side is the motor oil. If we ever have oil in the coolant that's the first thing we change. Then put water and dawn dish soap in the radiator and run it drain it and do it again till its clean.

Oil in the coolant is straight forward to deal with. Coolant in oil no to straight forward. I hope you're good with wrenches as it sounds like this unit has been a tad thin on the maintenance side of things.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Looking in my crystal ball, I see a "for sale" thread coming...

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I'll buy the carbon fiber trim

Let's be fair now........he hasn't done the manual swap yet.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

That seems like the least of his worries...and the cheapest...

Quote Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
    I'll buy the carbon fiber trim
    Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Let's be fair now........he hasn't done the manual swap yet.
    That seems like the least of his worries...and the cheapest...
    ^This place rings the bell again- Good laffs for a Friday afternoon...;0
    210K miles rolled