Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy a RS6 or a 2013 S6

You can afford a lot of repairs for that price difference. One car is a limited production future collector and the other is a standard luxury sedan that will half its value in the next couple of years. Some say get the newest "insert car manufacturer name here" you can afford, I say get the one that excites you the most and makes the most sense for you. Personally, I think the RS6 is the better value here. S6 may provide you with more reliability, at a cost. You get to decide how to spend your money so enjoy the process and let us know what you end up getting.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

My Two Cents.....

I am currently having my RS6 serviced and I am up to $7500 for labor and $2500 for parts.

I also am looking at cars for my college student son.

I recommend: Get the RS6, you'll love it......and lease a new Civic Turbo (<$300 per month, no money down). Then you have backup for the RS6, and the new Civic is a nice inexpensive car with decent room for your car seats. Still less outlay than the S6. (The 2013 S6 is VERY nice though. LOL)

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Stephencl View Post
    If it is a late built rs6, you may never need a transmission by the way.
    HEY, tell me more on this? Mine is a late build. ......

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    HEY, tell me more on this? Mine is a late build. ......

Mike
    Mike, general consensus is builds starting with VIN ending 905500 and above are more likely to not have the premature transmission failures associated with the seals in the torque converter failing.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Oh, I had a new torque converter put in about 40,000 miles ago.. ...I had a failure to lock up....no CEL, just caught it with Vag Scan, just under the wire at 102,000 miles with 2000 left on the warrantee

Vin is 904619 or red rs6. And I can do the labor on the car for maintaining it. So the torque converter is what goes out not the tranny itself? Is it some special converter.
    Last edited by Carolinacat; March 16th, 2016 at 01:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinacat View Post
    Vin is 904619 or red rs6. And I can do the labor on the car for maintaining it. So the torque converter is what goes out not the tranny itself? Is it some special converter.
    Not all that special no. It's just a LOT of work to replace is all....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Or just code out the lockup

At 140 even a late vin is due for the trans

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Oh, I had a new torque converter put in about 40,000 miles ago.. ...I had a failure to lock up....no CEL, just caught it with Vag Scan, just under the wire at 102,000 miles with 2000 left on the warrantee

RS6, just because it's special. I took a coworker for a spin today just because he was curious about the fat tires and twin pipes, had no idea about the car, pretty sure he shit his pants as he tried to lift his head from the headrest when I pinned it, his words "holy shit this thing moves!"
    Just passed 205, 000KMS and still going on original trans, although its one of the last cars built, March 2004.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Just passed 205, 000KMS and still going on original trans, although its one of the last cars built, March 2004.

Move along, there is nothing to see here. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    RS6, just because it's special. I took a coworker for a spin today just because he was curious about the fat tires and twin pipes, had no idea about the car, pretty sure he shit his pants as he tried to lift his head from the headrest when I pinned it, his words "holy shit this thing moves!"

Converter goes out and trashes the trans pretty quickly when it does. Highly recommend if you can do it (lots of labor), that you do it before it starts throwing codes.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Will the transmission come out without pulling the front subframe. How much is a tourque converter for this car. And if I code out the lockup what are we talking about losing in fuel mileage.

Will the transmission come out without pulling the front subframe.
    It has been done yes, but it's highly recommended against. There is NO time savings and in fact likely more labour to work around things by leaving the powerplant in. Car wasn't designed in consideration of swapping tranny's or convertors, so it is what it is.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I've mentioned it before, but Pat and I did the trans on my first rs6 with the engine in the car. Won't do it again. It would be a lot easier to just drop the whole thing out.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    At 140 even a late vin is due for the trans
    DHall1 - You S......., thanks for pissing on my parade! LOL.......DAM! jinx.....ARRRRGGGGEEEEE I can't spend any more money on the dam thing! I just want another year out of it......arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggeeeeee, you're killing me.....Should have put 10 grand down on a new RS7.........aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Mike

Yes after watching this process up close , pulling the engine is the way to go....the dealer claimed to have done the TC without pulling the engine and charged the warrantee company $3500 for the job, but they left several bolts loose on the passenger side turbo....that has to be removed to get at the upper bolts on the bell and starter.....