Thread: Leaks identified? Assist

Leaks identified? Assist

Hey all,

been lurking for for a while and recall seeing a thread that identified many of the common leaks by where they drip on the driveway. I've got a new leak and trying to diagnose.

My leak seems to drip under the drivers side IC, or thereabouts. Just after the leak started, both the ABS and traction lights have come on.

Looking for suggestions to check. Quick visual inspection shows inner left side CV leaking. This is new. Could this be the cause of the lights? The grease isn't dripping, but it is recently splattered.

Any help and and suggestions are most welcome.

Gentleman Jack

please forgive typos. Thumbs are awful and tablet is too

Just sent you a PM regarding the ABS and Traction Control lights. I had it happen to me twice. Once was an intermittent wheel speed sensor code that ended up being a faulty circuit board inside the ABS module. I purchased a used module from a member on here and that fixed the problem, at least temporarily. A short time before my car was totalled, the lights started coming on intermittently again. This time I got a code related to the brake pressure sensor, but from my testing it appeared it was the ABS module again. Hopefully yours is a simple fix, scan it and post up the codes. If it ends up being the module, I've got a potential option that I already did for another forum member. I shipped my old non working module to a guy who repairs them (can't remember his name offhand) and he repaired and shipped the module on to the other forum member, who was then able to swap the "dry" side of the module out and didn't have to take his car out of commision at all.

As for the axle, I'm sure some others will chime in but it may be time to get in touch with Raxles. They seem to be the best place for replacement axles and I believe offer a lifetime warranty.

In my experience with bad axles boots though, they don't cause a "leak", just a mess of sticky grease. Is it two separate issues? What sort of fluid does the leak seem to be? Passenger side in that area could be the oil cooler pipe.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

The auxiliary radiators reside just behind each intercooler. Check your coolant level. Is leaking fluid watery and pink/red? That's coolant. It's becoming a common place to leak.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    Just sent you a PM regarding the ABS and Traction Control lights. I had it happen to me twice. Once was an intermittent wheel speed sensor code that ended up being a faulty circuit board inside the ABS module. I purchased a used module from a member on here and that fixed the problem, at least temporarily. A short time before my car was totalled, the lights started coming on intermittently again. This time I got a code related to the brake pressure sensor, but from my testing it appeared it was the ABS module again. Hopefully yours is a simple fix, scan it and post up the codes. If it ends up being the module, I've got a potential option that I already did for another forum member. I shipped my old non working module to a guy who repairs them (can't remember his name offhand) and he repaired and shipped the module on to the other forum member, who was then able to swap the "dry" side of the module out and didn't have to take his car out of commision at all.

As for the axle, I'm sure some others will chime in but it may be time to get in touch with Raxles. They seem to be the best place for replacement axles and I believe offer a lifetime warranty.

In my experience with bad axles boots though, they don't cause a "leak", just a mess of sticky grease. Is it two separate issues? What sort of fluid does the leak seem to be? Passenger side in that area could be the oil cooler pipe.

yes! Sounds like a good thing to try

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    The auxiliary radiators reside just behind each intercooler. Check your coolant level. Is leaking fluid watery and pink/red? That's coolant. It's becoming a common place to leak.

Ill be be crawling under in the AM for a better look.

Power steering, brake, coolant, tranny, and refrigerant ALL on drivers side.... What color is the fluid? What does it taste like?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Power steering, brake, coolant, tranny, and refrigerant ALL on drivers side.... What color is the fluid? What does it taste like?

cant check for leaks today. It raining in SoCal. That's not a complaint, we need every drop. But it's hard to check for leaks in a downpour.

I have solved my riddle. It is not really a leak. My CV boot has ripped and the drip was the exposed grease getting wet from puddles and then dripping dirty water. I notice it didn't drip on dry days and fount the telltale grease splatter once I got my face in there.

Easy fix, just low on time right now. May have the shop do it once the Red Bomber is out of the paint booth. Some great day write ups on how to. And it's hard to beat a $25 fix on an RS6.

Could a mod change the title of this thread to

"CV boot tear looks like a lot of different leaks"

or or something similar to make this more useful to others?

Gentleman, not sure if you're in L.A. but I've been having my daughter's car to Wicked Motorsports and he has been more than fair. Frustrating sometimes that I can't do the work but I'm very happy with Wicked.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Gentleman, not sure if you're in L.A. but I've been having my daughter's car to Wicked Motorsports and he has been more than fair. Frustrating sometimes that I can't do the work but I'm very happy with Wicked.
    I'm in San Diego. I've got Pure Motorsports nearby. They did my water pump, timing chain etc and the were good. I'm going to check with them Friday.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I just got my Timing Belt, Water Pump, and Alternator replaced about two weeks ago and now there is a large leak under my car. Please see picture below as I reversed out of my driveway. WTF?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4458.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	17154
    2003 RS6, 105K miles, Daytona Grey Pearl Effect

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJones79 View Post
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I just got my Timing Belt, Water Pump, and Alternator replaced about two weeks ago and now there is a large leak under my car. Please see picture below as I reversed out of my driveway. WTF?
    What color is the fluid?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

It's definitely oil! Has this happened to anyone else after a Timing Belt Change?

No, sure it isn't Coolant?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Sorry for the confusion, my wife said it was oil but now that I'm back and checked out the coolant reservoir it's definitely low. So taking it back to the Indy shop today to have them fix/diagnose the issue. So what would cause it to leak so much coolant? I've heard of the upper/lower radiator hoses possibly leaking after timing belt changes but could it be an issue with the water pump gasket?