Thread: Leaks, parts needed, new or used

Hybrid View

Leaks, parts needed, new or used

Got to the source for my leaks. Coolant is leaking by the radiator where the line goes in. Complete radiator or repair? They said the whole connection seemed rough and cracked.

Secondary (external) fuel pump is leaking from seals/flanges. Anyone got a used one? Labor is easy but it's a spendy part. Thanks!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Looks like I can get the external pump for $671 at Jim Ellis. Wonder about sourcing a used one? http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pro...erm=4B0906089A

The coolant leak is minimal at this point, unless below freezing and things contract. I'd like to just JB weld it and wait, but don't think the shop wants to take that route. I usually never add any filler/plugging agents into a system, but what about a coolant leak stop fluid? Will they gum up other parts of the system? From what I've read the coolant system is fairly complex, so I'm just going to keep adding a bit of G12 every few weeks.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Do not use any liquid additives, you will plug up the radiator. or something worse in the engine. there are just too many coolant pipes in the RS6 engine to chance it.

I had a new radiator put in 2013, cost me $2500.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Do not use any liquid additives, you will plug up the radiator. or something worse in the engine. there are just too many coolant pipes in the RS6 engine to chance it.

I had a new radiator put in 2013, cost me $2500.

Mike
    Agree on the coolant additive, just wanted some feedback, thanks!

Yikes, at least I'm "only" looking at $1,400.

When it was 5-25 degrees out I went through a quart or so of coolant. Now since it's warmed up it's only loosing about 1/8 quart every few weeks. Think I'll drag that one on for a while.

The fuel pump is messy though, bit strong smelling, and guessing it will fail soon...

where is the secondary fuel pump located?
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

where is the secondary fuel pump located?
    Passenger side, just up in front of the rear tire area, fuel filter is there also. I can see it, covered in fuel. Labor is just one hour at least.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Passenger side, just up in front of the rear tire area, fuel filter is there also. I can see it, covered in fuel. Labor is just one hour at least.
    There are many peeps that replace that OEM with the Bosch 44 2nd fuel pump. Wiring is not plug/play but doable.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    There are many peeps that replace that OEM with the Bosch 44 2nd fuel pump. Wiring is not plug/play but doable.
    Was just reading about that, good call. I might do it depending on cost and if the shop feels OK wiring in a non-OEM part. They are an independent shop, and know the RS6 fairly well. The car has been feeling a touch sluggish early in the gas pedal and this would explain it; slight drop in pressure I'm sure with the small leak.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...gestions/page2

I'll have to take a look at mine....LOL....

My engine is coming back together, rear seal, oil pan, oil cooler, exhaust, new valve cover gaskets, and intake all back on.

Mike

I'll have to take a look at mine....LOL....

My engine is coming back together, rear seal, oil pan, oil cooler, exhaust, new valve cover gaskets, and intake all back on.

Mike
    Whew, yea haven't heard of too many failing, but it happens. It's the harsh roads and harsh weather taking it's toll I say.

Hope you're back on the road soon! I went through the whole pull/replace/rebuild about 4 years ago now, not pretty but ready for many more miles and smiles.

Also wanted to mention that the 044 is really noisy outside the vehicle. I hardly notice it anymore though unless I'm standing on the passenger side. Not noticeable inside the cabin. Just something to keep in mind while making your decision. $$$ savings out weight the cons in my opinion.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

my 45 is also very noisy outside the vehicle, just saying.....