Thread: DIY - Bosch 044 Fuel Pump / 5 bar fuel pressure regulator

Wink DIY - Bosch 044 Fuel Pump / 5 bar fuel pressure regulator

We will tackle the regulator first.

I used P3U's spark plug thread to remove the intake as his has step by step with pictures. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...ark+plug+guide

Once the intake is removed, you will see the fuel pressure regulator to the rear left of the intake manifold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regcloseup..jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	10249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reglocation..jpg 
Views:	734 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	10250
    It is fairly simple to remove and replace. First unplug the vacuum line that is going to the regulator. There are 2 hoses behind the intake manifold that will need to move in order to remove the clamp that holds the regulator in place. To do this, there are 2 allen head bolts that are on the center and back of the intake that hold the hoses in place. If you remove these, then you can move the hoses enough to remove the clip that holds the regulator in place. There is an air hose going into the intake, right above the regulator that will need to be unplugged in order to remove the regulator. You can then simply use a pair of pliers and pull the regulator out and push your new one in place. You can put the clip back in place and reverse the procedure and your regulator job is done. Oh yeah the O rings between the intake and MAFS usually needs to be replaced after being removed a couple times so you might as well replace them at the same time or you will get a CEL.

As for the fuel pump, you will need: these fittings http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSCH-044-COSWOR...item2302d7d15a ,
    About 2 foot of 3/8 high pressure fuel line (if you do not use high pressure fuel line it will bust), 2 of the 3/8 hose clamps, 1 one the 1/2" hose clamps, 2 eyelet splices which you can get at any auto parts store, shrink tube that fit over the 044's power terminals and a couple zip ties. You will need a container to catch the gas that will come out of the fuel line when you remove the old pump.
    Your fuel pump is located under the car behind the rear passenger door.

Name:	fuelpump..jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	10245

To remove the fuel pump there is a torques bolt holding the plastic fuel pump mount in place that will need to be removed (dont remember the size). After removing the fuel pump from the mount, you can unplug the power to the pump by squeezing the two tabs and pulling it out. You can then remove the hoses from each end of the fuel pump. I opened the existing clamps with a small screw driver. Have your catch pan ready because the fuel will come rushing out of the fuel lines (more will come out of the smaller fuel line). Your old pump should now be totally disconnected. You will now have a large fuel line (in) and a smaller fuel line (out). The smaller fuel line is connected to the fuel filter and needs to be replaced with a longer piece. I used about a 2' piece then trimmed it to the length I needed after installing the new pump. You can now cut the connector that went to the factory pump and trim back the shrink that is wrapped around the wires. There will be a Red/Black wire (Positive) and a Brown/Black wire (Negative), you can put your shrink wrap in place so that after you crimp your splice you can slip the shrink over each terminal on your pump to protect them from water.

Name:	WireAdapter..jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	10246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	044Splice..jpg 
Views:	1154 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	10247

You can now connect the eyelets to the 044 pump and put the shrink wrap over your terminals.
    You can then install the larger fuel line to the pump and clamp it down. Here's where you are going to have to do some engineering. The 044 pump is bigger than the factory pump but not big enough for the existing mount to hold it in place. I found a piece of rubber that I could wrap around the pump to give it a snug fit using the existing mount. You could use zip ties or something of that nature.
    You should now have the 044 in place and just need to trim your smaller fuel line to size, make sure you don't have any kinks in the fuel line and clamp it down. Don't forget to to put the clamp on before you put the fuel line on . Your new pump should now be in and ready to go. It may take a couple of seconds for fuel to make it up to the injectors so don't freak out if it dosn't crank up on the first try. Let it run for a minute and drive it around under boost to ensure you don't have or get any leaks.

Name:	044Installed..jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	10248

I noticed better throttle response and acceleration ( I also upgraded tunes so you may or may not get the results I did). Hope this helps.

Ben R.

Great thread! Finally we all know where to get the appropriate fittings and how to wire the 044 pump. On a side note, anybody thinking about installing the 5bar regulator, make sure you have the appropriate tuning like Ben. You cannot just add the regulator, as the ecu cannot adapt the injector duty cycle enough to compensate for an additional bar of pressure on it's own. It will run rich.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Got this catalog from a friend. Pegasus AutoRacing. May have the fittings for the Bosch 044. Have not checked for exact parts.
    See page 95 of online catalog for BSP fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by melsas View Post
    Got this catalog from a friend. Pegasus AutoRacing. May have the fittings for the Bosch 044. Have not checked for exact parts.
    See page 95 of online catalog for BSP fittings.
    I checked it out. Unfortunately I didn't see the fitting we need. All the fittings on that are "BSP" thread. We need Metric, a 18mmX1.5 thread to be exact, that screws into the pump and it needs to adapt to a 15mm push on fuel hose. I looked into AN fittings but there dosn't seem to be enough room for them seeing as the Bosch pump is longer that the stock pump.

Thanks for following up on this. Thought we might have found a "local" source.

Pat - The tuning you refer to for the 5 bar FPR - are we talking ECU flash or other adjustments?

Quote Originally Posted by melsas View Post
    Thanks for following up on this. Thought we might have found a "local" source.

Pat - The tuning you refer to for the 5 bar FPR - are we talking ECU flash or other adjustments?
    Yes, your ecu has to be flashed or chipped with the appropriate fuel mapping to take advantage of the 5bar regulator. Running the 044 pump on the other hand is just fine whether your ecu is stock or tuned. It may be kind of hard on the pump however, trying to push all that extra volume through a 4bar regulator. I'm not sure on that aspect.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Bump for another thread to swap to the Bosch 044.

Looking at the fitting detail; the inlet is an M18 x 1.5mm for 12mm (still trying to confirm, anyone?) fuel line. Outlet is M12 x 1.5mm for 8mm fuel line. Looks like the outlet needs to be a 90 degree piece to help with clearance issues.
    Last edited by lswing; March 1st, 2016 at 20:37.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Bump for another thread to swap to the Bosch 044.

Looking at the fitting detail; the inlet is an M18 x 1.5mm for 12mm (still trying to confirm, anyone?) fuel line. Outlet is M12 x 1.5mm for 8mm fuel line. Looks like the outlet needs to be a 90 degree piece to help with clearance issues.
    I posted details here -> http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...l=1#post279699

At some point I'd like to take some measurements and have a proper isolator 3D printed to fit the 044 & stock mounting bracket. But I lack the 3D printer and motivation at this time.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory