Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Track It! at Barber Motorsports 2-20 & 2-21-16

Just Track It! at Barber Motorsports 2-20 & 2-21-16

I got to do the track event with Just Track It! this past weekend! It was a blast even though I didn't feel too great. I kept the shiny side up & nothing broke, so it was a successful weekend. The main thing I noticed was the car did not want to slow down & wanted to plow around the turns- I guess there is no way to overcome the laws of physics. I ran in the Novice Instructed group & only left the track once when I got a late point-by on the front stretch, came into Turn 1 too hot, & ran thru the run out into the grass- no spin or damage & kept driving after inspection. There was a lot of tire squealing on the tighter turns from the understeer & there were several oversteer incidents in the wet when I didn't complete braking before turnin going into the Museum turns.

The car was definitely one of the fastest cars in the group (Novice with Instructor) on the straights (there were several varieties of Vettes, Camaro SS, 911 Turbo, Rousch Mustang, older M3s, etc) but of course it wasn't as fast in the turns since it is in stock form with brakes & suspension plus I was on Conti DW tires ( whatever is left of new tires, HPS pads. Motul 600 RBF after the weekend). Braking was definitely the biggest thing that needs work done. The car did great as far as no overheating or any other malfunctioning. My biggest fear was that something else would break before the weekend & I wouldn't get to do it.

It was fun but tiring for me & the car. The sessions were 30 minutes each & we had 5 sessions each day & 4 hours of classroom sessions so I am about dead today.

I'm working on getting the video put together & bought the photo package, so I will post all when it is done.

Ted
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

wow sounds like a blast! You seem to have done very well. Yes this is a very heavy car, and it suffers when braking hard, lots of energy to dissipate, (heat) . But I'm dying to see the vids. Again congrats !

Sounds like fun!

Phaeton ducts please

Fantastico- Awesome track!
    210K miles rolled

Congrats on your good experience! Even though these cars are heavy, everyone should try a track event at least once. So much fun and surprises a lot of people with how fast they are.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

There also was a white RS5 in the group that definitely handled better than mine, but I'm not sure whether it was the vehicle or the driver variable. There are several things that will need to be done when I get back on the track, possibly a different, lighter car.

I got to ride with my instructor in his heavily modified 2011 WRX in his run group. It was crazy! I wanted to cry Mommie but I manned up & didn't. He mixed it up with a TTRS & M4 for most of the session.

I was worried something would break but besides some brake wear & noise, everything seems fine. I'll post the video when I get it done.
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

What Pads do you run? and what brake fluid and when it was last changed?

I had just put on Hawk HPS front & rear & put new Motul RBF 600 in. By the end of the first day everything was pretty much toasted, but it did feel a little bit better the next morning. The car is just so heavy, its hard to get it to slow back down after the straights.
    Last edited by jtmdmd1; February 23rd, 2016 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmdmd1 View Post
    I had just put on Hawk HPS front & rear & put new Motul RBF 600 in. By the end of the first day everything was pretty much toasted, but it did feel a little bit the next morning. The car is just so heavy, its hard to get it to slow back down after the straights.
    Those pads are not meant for any track. I run Pagid RS29s in my RS5 Calipers (the same as the RS6) on my B8 S4 (almost 4k lbs and similiar wheel base) and it stops just fine. If you pursue more track events I would get a different set of pads and run them for the events. Also with the brake fluid Flush once a year and if you have event with lots of fade, bleed the calipers before the next one.

Definitely needed different pads! I thought those might be OK for one time use but no.

Here are a couple of videos from the weekend.

In the first one at 1:02 some guy passed me out of the blue on the inside of 14A without a point-by & passing was only allowed on the straights. There was a WRX I knew was behind me & I was going to let by on the front stretch, but it scared the crap out of me when I saw that car come around on the inside in the turn.

Carried too much speed into Turn 1 after late point-by.

Final Video from first day. I'll post the pics from the track photographer when I get them. It was a blast- thanks to all for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by littleredwagen View Post
    Those pads are not meant for any track. I run Pagid RS29s in my RS5 Calipers (the same as the RS6) on my B8 S4 (almost 4k lbs and similiar wheel base) and it stops just fine. If you pursue more track events I would get a different set of pads and run them for the events. Also with the brake fluid Flush once a year and if you have event with lots of fade, bleed the calipers before the next one.
    Have you found a good place to get these pads from?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Have you found a good place to get these pads from?
    I get them from Pete DeSisto (sales@trackdaysolutions.com) at Track Day Solutions www.trackdaysolutions.com

He has quick shipping though most of the time they ship from another warehouse

So dumb point but obv you were carrying extra weight because of the instructor right? I would think an extra 150 pounds (or more) on top of our 4000 plus car is a big diff. And then did you have extraneous stuff removed like spare tire, tool kit, stock wheels or lighter?
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Hey , I was carrying the instructor all but the last session- I got to solo the last session. I did remove all extra items- spare, etc, but everything else was stock. I looked back at the video & got the pics back- body roll - it looks like I am going fall over.

Here are some of the pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Track It February Barber 2016 Silver Audi 4_21.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	17119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Track It February Barber 2016 Silver Audi 4_24.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	17120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Track It February Barber 2016 Silver Audi 4_31.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	17121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Track It February Barber 2016 Silver Audi 4_32.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	17122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Track It February Barber 2016 Silver Audi 4_40.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	17123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Track It February Barber 2016 Silver Audi 4_48.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	17124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Track It February Barber 2016 Silver Audi 4_53.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	17125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just Track It February Barber 2016 Silver Audi 4_60.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	17126

Quote Originally Posted by jtmdmd1 View Post
    body roll - it looks like I am going fall over.
    KW V3's and Hotchkis sways will help eliminate the roll.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)