Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend DIY

Mech Weekend DIY

So this weekend I'm planning to take the gloves off (literally, since it's supposed to hit 60F on Saturday) and do a bit of work:

Suction Jet Pump
    SAI Delete / Block-off
    Power Steering Fluid replacement
    Coolant top-up
    Air filter clean and oil
    Cabin air filter replacement
    Windshield wiper replacement

I'm gathering necessary components and don't have my trusty Bentley manual on hand - what size(s) of vac lines will I be needing if I want to replace stock line? Mainly looking at the SJP lines and putting a new loop on the SAI sensor so it quits bitching about insufficient flow, but if I'm already in there, I'll probably end up replacing anything I can get my grubby little hands on.

While I'm in there, I'll also take a look around and see if anything looks out of place - After-Run-Pump being a suspect for age / wear-and-tear. Hopefully will be able to walk away after this weekend with no CEL (SAI insufficient flow), and next step will be EGT Sensor replacement made much easier by SAI Delete...

TIA

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

The intake r&r is not for the average diy weekend project.

Replace the ARP always. I just used the last one in the country.

Intake gaskets, injector o rings, bypass tube o rings are all a must if the intake is coming off..

Imho

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    So this weekend I'm planning to take the gloves off (literally, since it's supposed to hit 60F on Saturday) and do a bit of work:

Suction Jet Pump
    SAI Delete / Block-off
    Power Steering Fluid replacement
    Coolant top-up
    Air filter clean and oil
    Cabin air filter replacement
    Windshield wiper replacement

I'm gathering necessary components and don't have my trusty Bentley manual on hand - what size(s) of vac lines will I be needing if I want to replace stock line? Mainly looking at the SJP lines and putting a new loop on the SAI sensor so it quits bitching about insufficient flow, but if I'm already in there, I'll probably end up replacing anything I can get my grubby little hands on.

While I'm in there, I'll also take a look around and see if anything looks out of place - After-Run-Pump being a suspect for age / wear-and-tear. Hopefully will be able to walk away after this weekend with no CEL (SAI insufficient flow), and next step will be EGT Sensor replacement made much easier by SAI Delete...

TIA

O_E

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    The intake r&r is not for the average diy weekend project.

Replace the ARP always. I just used the last one in the country.

Intake gaskets, injector o rings, bypass tube o rings are all a must if the intake is coming off..

Imho
    Any suggestions on part numbers? If you just snagged the last ARP in the country, is gonna be hard for me to source a replacement...

Thanks
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Any suggestions on part numbers? If you just snagged the last ARP in the country, is gonna be hard for me to source a replacement...

Thanks
    O_E
    Is it 034965561C? Same pump as on the URS4?

Replacement/relocation of SJP was a solid 8hrs on my end which was a tad high given I had never removed the intake as part of any repair priorhand. This repair certainly isn't for the faint of heart as it necessitates good recall and organization as you remove the entire wiring harness and set it to the side. I think that anyone that has indepth mechanical experience, all the right tools, and all the right knowhow, can perform this work in a solid 6 hours from start to finish once they have done it at least once before.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

jet sump here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Engine (2).jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	17097

easier with the engine out
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I agree with the times completely.

Im making plans for the other cars as i know the ARP needs replaced on most every RS6 out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Replacement/relocation of SJP was a solid 8hrs on my end which was a tad high given I had never removed the intake as part of any repair priorhand. This repair certainly isn't for the faint of heart as it necessitates good recall and organization as you remove the entire wiring harness and set it to the side. I think that anyone that has indepth mechanical experience, all the right tools, and all the right knowhow, can perform this work in a solid 6 hours from start to finish once they have done it at least once before.

Are we talking about the Additional Waterpump, 077121599A. If so FCP say they have it in stock, not cheap at $362. And ECS says ships in 2 days but I've found they lie about that a lot.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Are we talking about the Additional Waterpump, 077121599A. If so FCP say they have it in stock, not cheap at $362. And ECS says ships in 2 days but I've found they lie about that a lot.
    Thanks for the part number, I see there's a possibility of replacing with a relocation kit, VAG part # 078998998
    Anyone have experience with this? Most of what I see is re: relocating the pump on 2.7tt from under the intake to somewhere more accessible, question is: will it work? Do we even have a space to put this in? If I were to adapt this kit to be inline instead of relocating, would there be any problem? Would sure be nice to get this at ~$170 instead of the lowest price I've been able to find on 077121599A being ~$340, and nobody having it in stock...

Thanks
    O_E

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Okay, so a solid weekend of 12-hour days on this. Got it. Probably not gonna happen til next weekend in that case, but it's good to know.

Readiness checklist:
    Good recall and organization skills - check and double-check, the wife will be working this with me and she is meticulous.
    indepth mechanical experience - check, though not with this engine, that's why I'm asking about specifics with the BCY.
    all the right tools - probably - Are we talking simple hand tools (triple-squares, sockets, hex and star bits, etc...)? Or is there some VAG-specific one that I'm going to be F***ed trying to find?
    Knowhow - that's why I'm here, benefitting from the experience of those who've gone before me.

Anyway, on order at the moment:
    Intake Manifold gasket set (arriving today)
    SJP - arrived last night
    Silicone vac line kit - arrived last night
    1Gal BND concentrated coolant (arriving Saturday)
    1 BND PS Flush and Fill kit (Saturday)
    1qt Aces IV (Saturday)
    16 Injector O-Rings (Saturday)
    SAI Block-off Plates (Saturday)
    2 Trunk support struts (Saturday) obv not connected, but mine need replacement and I'm already looking at spending quite a bit of time on her this weekend anyway...

Also have lots of engine de-greaser and other such ready to rock because I know it's gonna be filthy. Last major (autopsy table / intake off) service on this engine was 5 years / 37k miles ago. Don't worry, the full TB service was done 9k miles / 2 years ago.

Can anyone think of anything else I should do preventative-maintenance-wise while I've got the intake off? I saw a comment re: bypass tube O-Rings - when searching that all I can come up with is the A/C Condenser tube, and I'm guessing that's not what DHall1's talking about.

Thanks
    O_E

Name:	imagejpeg_0 2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	17102

Second Pump is here (electric)
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Second Pump is here (electric)
    Attachment 17099
    Invalid attachment. Whatcha got?

E

Name:	Pump.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	17103

(I posted the wrong photo and was editing it!)

Waiting for the local stealership to open so I can talk to their parts advisor. It's nice and not nice at the same time to have the guy at the parts department know me by name... I'll be asking him whether the A6/S6/Allroad pump (078 121 601B) is identical/equivalent to the pump included in the RS6 pump KIT listed as part (077 121 599A) - I'm guessing the difference between the two part numbers is the listed RS6 part includes the rubber mount, metal strap, hex head bolt, and mounting plate, which should still be in fine shape given they're tucked under the UIM.

More to come on this, hopefully this means my weekend DIY will be able to happen next weekend instead of whenever someone from Germany realizes I'm telling them to shut up and take my money

O_E

You only need 8 injector o rings

Pn for the bypass tubes
    N-908-325-01
    You need 2

Big thanks to Aronis for finding the part number on his ARP (helps that he's got his engine apart at the moment)

The pump itself is Audi PN 078121601F - I ordered up revision B (or 078121601B) to keep me going for hopefully another 12 years 4 months 19 days.
    $99 for a brand new unit, made by Pierburg

O_E

Sorry it took an extra week, the engine was up side down last Monday.

Name:	IMG_6719 2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	17130

Name:	IMG_6721.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	17131

Veddy interesting. Was this ordered thru Audi?

Big thanks to Aronis for finding the part number on his ARP (helps that he's got his engine apart at the moment)

The pump itself is Audi PN 078121601F - I ordered up revision B (or 078121601B) to keep me going for hopefully another 12 years 4 months 19 days.
    $99 for a brand new unit, made by Pierburg

O_E