Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Size Recommendations for 19x9.5

Very exciting to report that wheels are on their way home. Can't wait to see what they look like installed.
    Will post once they're on.

After everything I've learnt from this thread, here is how the whole thing came together in the end.

1. I ordered Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3 and they are quite wide on 265x35x19. I would have been fine with 255x35x19 I think. The Michelin all-season tires seem wider in general then their summer only counterparts. The same is true even for 245x35 on the MX series.
    I think it is important to look at the tire specs, specifically the "Section Width". TireRack is specifically good at giving you this information.

2. I had to grind down the little nip of metal that hangs from the upper control arm, otherwise the tires would not fit. Once I had help in getting rid of that little metal piece, all went according to plan. I have about the width of 1-2 credit car thickness between the rubber on the tire and the control arm.

3. You really have to be careful with 9.5 wide wheels, even with et30. They just fit under there up front. I think 9 wide wheels are the best all around option if you can find them. Major wheel manufacturers that build them custom can do anything you really want, which is great.

4. I was worried about the wheels up front, when I should have been worried about the rear as well. I upgraded the brakes in the rear when I went with the Mov'it setup, and the spokes on the rim just clear enough. Probably not a major issue for most folks, and only for this specific configuration I picked.

So how much does one grind that nub off the front upper control arm?

Also interesting, looking at the PSS 255/35/19 that MrDave posted photos of on a 9.5 wide rim, those are really stretched. The Sport 4S at 265/35/19 looks almost an inch wider on my 9.5 rims, even though it's supposed to only be .4 inch wider. Again, the 4S just appears to be a beefier tire than advertised, and I've seen that plenty with bike tires.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I'm going to get into the shop Friday to measure the tires, but here's a thread from a Beamer forum (I know, I know...) discussing the same thing. The 4S is a bulkier tire per the same measurements, just beware if you go the 4S route...they are about .3 to .5 inch wider than said factory spec it appears.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1574777
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

On my RS6 the "nub" is ground flush with the control arm.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    So how much does one grind that nub off the front upper control arm?

Also interesting, looking at the PSS 255/35/19 that MrDave posted photos of on a 9.5 wide rim, those are really stretched. The Sport 4S at 265/35/19 looks almost an inch wider on my 9.5 rims, even though it's supposed to only be .4 inch wider. Again, the 4S just appears to be a beefier tire than advertised, and I've seen that plenty with bike tires.
    2003 Avus RS6 | 10SECS4 Tune | GIAC TCU | Apikol Intake | Apikol Intercoolers | Miltek & Catless | KW V3 | Hotckis Sway bars | 034 Control arms & end links | Euro RS6 Recaro seats | RS6+ pedals

Quote Originally Posted by kevcp View Post
    On my RS6 the "nub" is ground flush with the control arm.
    Cool, thanks. I can see how that nub point sticks out and is probably fine to grind down a bit, still not the biggest fan of doing it but seems fine.

I had to grind mine down too.

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    I had to grind mine down too.
    Thanks for the confirmation. My car must sit just low enough to rub due to the Koni yellow struts. I measured the new 4S and it's actually exactly to spec, 10.4 inches wide. I think once I grind the nub down it will still take a 5mm spacer, but I can live with that. Keeping 10mm on the rear I think to fill out the fitment.