Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New RS6 owner! Need air filter recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by VAG View Post
    Well I ended up getting the REVO flash with SPS. The car feels faster and definitely more torquey. Sounds like a TCU chip is next. Also I'll be data logging to make sure I'm not running lean as I've read this could happen.
    With any luck your version runs a bit better. Still no fuel adjust with SPS, the tool says you can but it's basically a lie. Symptoms of running lean include feeling of timing being pulled, my car would have little "bumps" under WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear. Added fuel in and all is good. Plus adding the water meth kit helped down the road. But yes, log your car with ross-tech vcds, 3 timing, 31 lambda/O2, and 115 boost. 112 EGT is also a good indicator, if it's hot you're lean, above 800C I think. Timing and lambda also give you a good idea.

Get the TCU from 034 or AMD I think, it's tough to find an MTM one these days. Be careful soldering it in or you can fry the whole TCU.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Little late to the discussion, per usual.

Yes, K/N filters help. Especially on a tuned car. I was somewhat surprised. Not a first choice, mind you. It's clearly apparent VAG engineers were cramped on space with the intake plenum design. I'd bet they are relying on the intake suction/vacuum under boost to help Pull air in. My motorbike has a bigger air filter and makes 1/3 the HP per cyl. bank of a mildly tuned RS6. RS6 must have the smallest filter area/volume of any such car at said displacement and power. Egads.

Revo is a serious compromise "tune". Don't care for the power delivery, but at least it doesn't lean out on my car. Thanks to LSWING who helped tweak a few things when I first got the car. Made it livable and didn't genuinely worry about the trans as much (reduced torque surge; smoother mid range and something left at the top end). No luck with trying several times in contacting REVO a couple years ago. I just couldn't see bringing that product line in. (Maybe if I was a trans shop, however)

Have since driven Eurocharged and Viper tunes which are eons better in terms of power delivery (smooth and progressive).

The transmission won't last long w/o a tune and a full maintenance service. Classic chain of events that often catches people off-guard.

Good luck, have fun and be especially nice in getting to know your new "Autobahn Brawler".
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    The transmission won't last long w/o a tune and a full maintenance service. Classic chain of events that often catches people off-guard.

Good luck, have fun and be especially nice in getting to know your new "Autobahn Brawler".
    Yes, start saving your pennies for a new transmissiomn..it cometh soon. Put a date in your calendar of when you tune it. We want to know EXACTLY how many days a RS6 transmission lasts with a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yes, start saving your pennies for a new transmissiomn..it cometh soon. Put a date in your calendar of when you tune it. We want to know EXACTLY how many days a RS6 transmission lasts with a tune.
    I'll put my money on 167 shifts at WOT...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I'll put my money on 167 shifts at WOT...

11 launches from a dig...

And this is why I want to have all the parts lined up for a 6MT conversion before tuning the ECU
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

I've been trying to contact AMD phone and e-mail for a TCU quote but no response. I have purchased a lot of things for my URS4 from 034 and know they sell good products... So I'm sending the TCU to 034 on Monday. Plus that will give me a few days to finally detail the car

Regarding air filter, I've been TOLD that our filter area is way too small for a tuned RS6. Stock power levels it's barely adequate but you ramp the boost up then the filter area is way under sized. No good solutions at this time. I use stock Mahle paper filters even with much higher power levels than stock, and would LOVE more filter area but don't want to shell a couple g's to have someone develop a real solution.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    Regarding air filter, I've been TOLD that our filter area is way too small for a tuned RS6. Stock power levels it's barely adequate but you ramp the boost up then the filter area is way under sized. No good solutions at this time. I use stock Mahle paper filters even with much higher power levels than stock, and would LOVE more filter area but don't want to shell a couple g's to have someone develop a real solution.
    A few have been saying this yes, but neither confirmed power levels nor real world times suggest such.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

A few, like people who own and tune high HP Audi's... I believe them but don't want to be the one to (pay to) develop a real solution. Our filters are tiny, I would put money on 25+hp gain with a real solution. Probably wouldn't feel it at over 500 wheel though, so who really cares.
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Our filters are tiny, I would put money on 25+hp gain with a real solution. Probably wouldn't feel it at over 500 wheel though, so who really cares.
    I'd tend to agree on the potential increase....but:

Less restriction helps at all RPM and loads; including throttle response. In my case the filters were old and dirty from the prior owner (as most are from what I've seen so far), so the "increase" may have been twofold.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

There was that Dyno video posted on here years back that showed the whole filter housing being sucked down, kind of concave under a strong Dyno pull. What about starting with opening the two front grill slots where the intakes go, do a nice job with a Dremel so it looks factory would probably be a great start.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Hood scoop and ram air is the only real solution. ;-)

Most definitely! I know JC Whitney has a great selection!!

Hood scoop and ram air is the only real solution. ;-)
    PO of my current car had a very radical solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	17044