Thread: C5 RS6 Radiator query

C5 RS6 Radiator query

First question - does it have an integrated oil cooler.

I know theres a separate oil cooler, but I wasn't sure if there was secondary cooling through the radiator at all.

Second question - if it is integrated is it for engine oil cooling or transmission cooling?

Trans fluid and oil cooler as separate unit by main radiator. See my website in sig, go to the Extra page, manuals show fluid routing.

Its the main manual, page 20.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yes, there is an in-tank trans cooler in the radiator. Circled below.

03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I have an issue with anti freeze having got into the gearbox. If the oil cooler had failed, would there also not be oil in the header tank as well?...
    It's fresh as hell.

OUCH! That sounds bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McB View Post
    I have an issue with anti freeze having got into the gearbox. If the oil cooler had failed, would there also not be oil in the header tank as well?...
    It's fresh as hell.
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McB View Post
    It's fresh as hell.
    Corrosion within the radiator and trans fluid lines allowing them to mix? Seems like the place it would occur. Sure you've stopped driving. Replace radiator and flush trans and lines off the top of my head.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Corrosion within the radiator and trans fluid lines allowing them to mix? Seems like the place it would occur. Sure you've stopped driving. Replace radiator and flush trans and lines off the top of my head.
    it was in for a gearbox service in July and done less than 1k since.

Iv iv just taken it apart for some maintenance (exhausts, timing belt, Intercoolers, recite valves, coolant pipe at back of cyl head) put it all back and now this.

Its done about 50 miles all in - yes it's off the road til I get to the bottom of it.
    I'm curious as to why the anti freeze isn't mixing with the oil. The anti freeze is clean as when it first went in the other week.

However, it's coming back apart and every component is going to my radiator and oil cooler guy for pressure testing -