Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best riding coil-overs for RS6?

Best riding coil-overs for RS6?

I already have the Bilstein PS9 setup and I like it for the most part but its pretty firm most of the time. Are there any alternatives that will still allow for great handling yet provide a smother ride? Never been in one with the DRC so I dont know how they feel stock but the Bilstein is pretty firm even on the softest settings.

And I will just throw this in here too:
    Best performance auto trans: 517, Level 10 or IPT? Future goals of 600+ at the wheels and I want a slush box.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Best reviewed suspension is the KWV3. I find it pretty soft, even though it's 1 inch from lowest and sitting on 2nd from most firm setting. DRC was a great system as far as comfort, but the shortcomings with the seals killed that pretty quickly.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Too subjective

Newer redesign on kwv3 may not be as reliable as the older

H&R may be too soft for some tastes

Kwv3 is my favorite

IMO, the factory designed/tuned DRC was hands down the best feeling suspension for this car from both spring rate and dampening. It came with a couple of design flaws however that has seen many abandon it to use a coil over or similar in it's place (Gen 1 seal design, and braided/rubber encased hoses that crack, rust, rupture. I have ridden in 5 different RS6's, and owned three all at one time - each with a different suspension set-up. My observation on quality of ride & performance from best downwards is as follows:

DRC
    KW3
    H&R
    PSS9
    Koni Yellow

I also ran a set of ST for a few months and abandoned that set-up as it had only compression dampening - no rebound dampening.... It would fall into the 6th place.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

They're not coilovers but I just installed Koni FSD dampers on my S6 with the stock springs and I'm pretty impressed so far. It's "soft" feeling while driving normally but they handle body roll and pitch impressively. They're actually pretty strange feeling because you don't get the confidence from a really "firm" ride, but they definitely work well when needed. It's kind of hard to explain. We use the S6 as the everyday family vehicle so the FSDs are perfect for that use. If you're looking for a smooth ride, they're worth checking out.

edit: I have to agree about the DRC. My RS6's DRC is still intact and functioning and the ride is absolutely perfect. Just the right amount of firmness and almost no body roll.

Stasis was still around BUT I haven't heard great things about them.
    They are the Hermes of coilovers, and there is annual maintenance @ $100/corner...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

H&R's on mine and it's actually semi-firm, but i have a few shitty roads i feel this on, most the time it's a good ride. My B7 S4 is on new ST's and it rides softer. Jealous of that car lol.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

I really enjoy my functioning DRC setup. Not looking forward to having to replace it. Anyone done a "non" stanced air bag setup? I'd be interested to hear the results of a proper airbag setup.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I swapped out KW v1 with Koni Yellows and stock springs and the ride is a little better but not by much. The Konis are at the out of the box settings. I still have a low mileage DRC setup sitting in a box (PO had recall done and then took it off) but didn't want to go through the hassle of putting it back on.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

I had PSS9's on a B7 A4 and it was too firm for my tastes. I adjusted them to the softest setting and they were still too firm. It handled great, but not ideal for a daily driver.

I use the RS6 exactly the same way as the A4, and I will echo the love for a functioning DRC. It's smooth, but still quite responsive for "spirited" driving. I really wish there was a reasonable way to keep these systems alive

PSS9 on my RS6 feels soft to me, about perfect for the car actually unless I was going to track it. If you're sitting too low you could be riding on the bump stops causing it to ride too stiff.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

I have them all the way up and on the softest setting. Just too firm for my taste. It handles spectacular and I can get the ass in a nice controlled slide should I wish but on rough roads its just way too firm. And if I dont crawl into my driveways its a loud thud as the tire hits the 1" tapered lip of the driveway. Shocks have under 10k on them and show no signs of leaks.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Completely subjective...Koni yellow with stock springs, on full soft, is firm but not horribly rough. The one time I rode in a KW-V3 car it was rock hard, race track only. Your roads and tire size are also big factors.

I'd be tempted by the HR full soft, sounds like a nice setup.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Agree but understand just riding in another car with completely adjustable suspension is not a good test. Who knows how its adjusted.

My KWV3 car is fantastic and I could daily in an instant.

Also agree about roads and tires

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Completely subjective...Koni yellow with stock springs, on full soft, is firm but not horribly rough. The one time I rode in a KW-V3 car it was rock hard, race track only. Your roads and tire size are also big factors.

I'd be tempted by the HR full soft, sounds like a nice setup.

I love my ST's.....a little firm, but the price was right....replaced the Stasis POS that was on there.

Replaced all 4 of my lower control arms with Meyle HD's yesterday and they made the car feel absolutely wonderful. I recommend replacing them while your in there if you guys start swapping! Check your axle boots too.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Ohlins/Stasis coil-overs on my ride while on a smooth surface ride beautifully, can only compare it to riding on glass. On the flip side they are too firm at times, like with 2 or more passengers and when going over some cobblestone or bumpier roads. I want something that sits lower than stock and absorbs the bumps better.

As far as performance goes, they have got to be the better if not one of the best, hardly any body roll at all is noticed at speed through a corner.

On OE Pirelli tires btw.

Oh and almost forgot to mention the noise, the rear shocks are noisey at slow speeds over bumps, you can clearly hear them clunking around inside the shock body. It almost makes me think something is wrong with the car at times.

My money would be on the FSDs with a set of Eibachs or the stock springs with an extra machined perch in the FSD shock body for more drop.
    Last edited by RSoverAll; January 25th, 2016 at 06:24. Reason: More info

I've been tempted to look into an air setup considering I have several friends in the VW scene that run air setups, and one happens to be an Air Lift dealer, but I've got bigger priorities with the car. For now, Koni yellows are getting the job done just fine.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold