Thread: Dead blower motor?

Dead blower motor?

Heat and AC blower switch lights up and down but nothing coming out. Never had this happen on any of my Audi's. Or any car at all. Any quick ideas?

Probably a fuse. But if it's not, I believe the blower motor is relatively inexpensive and straightforward to replace. I suppose it's also possible to have a bad climate control unit, which pop up on ebay fairly often for <$100.

Pull a scan with Vagcom to troubleshoot whether it's the climate control unit before throwing parts at it. Not sure where the blower motor is... Try switching on and putting the blower power to full - if it starts turning when you're changing the speed setting, it's 99.999999% going to be the blower motor resistor. Haven't screwed with any of these systems on this car (hopefully never will have to), but diagnostics always come before spending on parts for me...

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Not the fuse, that would be to easy. My cars don't do easy. Scanning tomorrow.

Search on here for no cabin air flow / blower motor type terms. Happened to me several months ago and a lot others was almost always an electrical flow sensor type of thing that goes bad, funny looking part with a bunch of probe like prongs on it, its near blower fan assembly. I have part # but not with me. New at Audi they are expensive but there are eBay Chinese ones cheap, I bought one it worked fine for while but then went to mode where it only blew at full max, so I pulled it and got a genuine used one and no more prob.s

good to know, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CBeau View Post
    Search on here for no cabin air flow / blower motor type terms. Happened to me several months ago and a lot others was almost always an electrical flow sensor type of thing that goes bad, funny looking part with a bunch of probe like prongs on it, its near blower fan assembly. I have part # but not with me. New at Audi they are expensive but there are eBay Chinese ones cheap, I bought one it worked fine for while but then went to mode where it only blew at full max, so I pulled it and got a genuine used one and no more prob.s

Sounds like a blower motor resistor to me

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

The OEM part I'm talking about says on plastic housing "ITR - Leistungsmodul" is made by Hella which I found interesting. Audi # 4B0 820 521. Just several months ago I posted on same problem and multiple people said try that and it was it, there pics etc. on that thread wherever it is. Need to remove glove box. It is not hard job at all. 15 mins. I think my wholesale cost on part was abt. $400 smthg. if I recall correctly. Hence I got Chinese knock off so they must be known to need replacement or they wouldn't have ever made them. And like I said, Chinese one worked correct for a few weeks but then fan wouldn't turn off and was on full blast nonstop, so I got OEM off ebay from salvage yard for like $25 and no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Sounds like a blower motor resistor to me

O_E
    I was gonna say this, too...
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide