Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake rotors: Wavy pattern vs Standard

Brake rotors: Wavy pattern vs Standard

A friend of mine can get the RS5/R8 wavy flower pattern rotors for an attractive price. He has them on his RS6 and its a direct fit. My question is there an advantage to them over standard rotors. All the online arguments seem to be geared to bikes. I like the look and if price is the same I am considering them.
    So what say the RS6 gurus?
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

They are lighter (less mass) which can be good and bad depending on the efficiency of the cooling design. The wave is suppose to add surface area along the edge of the rotor. They are not directional but without a wind tunnel I'm suspect that the spinning rotor, inside the confines of a wheel, makes any difference. Maybe that is why Audi/Lambo didn't bother with it being directional, obviously less costly for them to not have two different rotors.
    With that said, I have a set laying in my garage that I was planning on installing when my OEM fronts are ready to be replaced.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    A friend of mine can get the RS5/R8 wavy flower pattern rotors for an attractive price. He has them on his RS6 and its a direct fit. My question is there an advantage to them over standard rotors. All the online arguments seem to be geared to bikes. I like the look and if price is the same I am considering them.
    So what say the RS6 gurus?
    Has been discussed as naseum on this forum and many others. Also lots of threads about interchanging brakes and the differences associated with the effort.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Yes Mr.Curmudgeon it has. The using of the googler and the interwebz toaster using "RS6.com" in said search gave me a couple threads and it was mostly if they fit and what numbers and from waht car and people complaing on getting Zimmermans instead and the standard "We fear change" BS. There were a couple mentions of leading edges and reduced surface area (hey I think that was you!) and so on and so forth. Now that they have had them a bit and others since have tried but not posted I was curious as to their inputs as well.

Also from an engineering standpoint. I understand why dirt bikes got them but not why street bikes did. Some bikers had improvements going to them and some lost performance. Despite me usually wanting to punch an Audi engineer they dont often do stuff that has no mechanical or performance enhancement and noticing 50% or the Audis on the showroom floor had them it makes me more curious.
    More so if my friend can get me them for the price he stated.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    They are lighter (less mass) which can be good and bad depending on the efficiency of the cooling design. The wave is suppose to add surface area along the edge of the rotor. They are not directional but without a wind tunnel I'm suspect that the spinning rotor, inside the confines of a wheel, makes any difference. Maybe that is why Audi/Lambo didn't bother with it being directional, obviously less costly for them to not have two different rotors.
    With that said, I have a set laying in my garage that I was planning on installing when my OEM fronts are ready to be replaced.
    The one rotor spinning the wrong direction tends to overheat during track use. For this reason I'd avoid using these rotors. Total BS that Audi would do this on their RS model cars.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Also from an engineering standpoint. I understand why dirt bikes got them but not why street bikes did. Some bikers had improvements going to them and some lost performance. Despite me usually wanting to punch an Audi engineer they dont often do stuff that has no mechanical or performance enhancement and noticing 50% or the Audis on the showroom floor had them it makes me more curious.
    More so if my friend can get me them for the price he stated.
    I know I have personally tried to find published results detailing any sort of improvement that a wave rotor has over round and have been unable to locate anything. I personally am pressed to believe that they make any difference whatsoever - and IF they in fact do - significant enough to worry about using them as an alternate to the 'standard'.

This all noted, I am of the opinion that if you like the look, and get them for a reasonable enough price - why not. They are certain to stop the car as well as the OEM units.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Still just not sure if they are a direct fit in the rear. I like symmetry. If they dont I will just stick with Zimmermans for the front and OEM for the rear as I cant seem to locate Zimmermans for the rear.

I cant seem to locate Zimmermans for the rear.
    These guys were selling the Zimmerman's for an additional 25% off these prices a few months ago. Sale is no longer applicable I see, but they are a lot more affordable than the OEM rears IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Fit-Pr...UAAOSwNSxVEdVS
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Fit-Pr...UAAOSwNSxVEdVS

They have the one front rotor also:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Fit-Pr...AAAOSwpDdVEeKk

They don't list the opposite side any longer. As you will find by contacting Audi, Lamborghini, etc., ONLY the RS6 has right and left handed front rotors. The R8, Gallardo, RS5, RS4, etc., all use the same part number for both sides. Unless you are tracking your ride, or constantly doing high speed runs that demand quick deceleration braking efforts over and over, I would not believe there to be any performance loss by not having 'handed' rotors.

Pads were on sale at this location some time back. They are $260.00'ish for a set of front and rears currently:
    http://performance.importrp.com/ebc-...s/g-63410.aspx

Thank you

Since the economic crash of '07/08 have seen a marked strategy in cost cutting, especially with cars. One of the reasons we/I try not to buy anything afterwards. VAG has succumbed to cost cutting just like everyone else. The RS6 was nearly a no-holds barred car of it's day. If they would have put proper rear brake calipers on it, would be 100%.

The wavy brakes are in my viewpoint a cosmetic gimmick at best. All OEM's are putting big brakes on and want to stand apart. The heat rejection added by the add'l surface area must have the decimal place some distances to the right, I would surmise. The rotor plane is far too thick to reject much more heat-- now if it had micro fins....still insignificant. (Maybe do like the old time truckers and put water spray jets on the brakes?

We/our group is far more knowledgeable than the typical new R/RS/AMG/M car buyer, by most accounts. Most consumers have little idea (or care) of physics, but when something looks "good", it appeals-- whether car or, ahem, woman. Thermal mass is, all else being equal, is simply reduced mass/material with the rotor cut outs. Certainly must be cheaper to make... Did they make it thicker? Was different material used to tolerate higher temps, cooling ducts, etc?

Straight cooling vanes won't work or be as effective as directional-- no matter wheel size. Real race cars all use directional rotors. New sport cars have huge open wheels that promote cooling. OEM's can/will alter brake pad composition and M/C and booster sizing to compensate. Domestics are famous for this to help offset smaller rotors. Just add higher clamping forces to alter rotor torque characteristics. Brakes wear fast, but the consumer can deal with it.

As mentioned, does it all matter? Well, it depends on HOW the car is driven. MOST brake systems are designed for ONE emergency stop. Not repeated Autobahn and quasi "track" use like most euro cars. The C5-RS6 has brakes far overkill for most drivers, and US conditions. If one only wants a couple stops/slow downs, anything will work for awhile. If one wants the car to perform as intended and work as intended/designed, the rotors need every chance possible to reject much heat as possible.

When I drive the beast hard, my biggest concern is the brakes. It's always on the limits, even with sport pads. The brakes work, but don't feel 365mm/ 8 piston special in any way. This car is a tank. A fast tank, that taking anything further away from the marginal braking performance (when tuned) is not on my to-do list. The lackluster braking is/was the key reason I put big wheels and tires on. Clearly under tired for slower panic stops, where BTU absorbsion is not a factor. Essentially: the balance between brake and tire ability, which is surprisingly unbalanced in this car. That observation was with OEM type pads which were dreadful and certainly didn't help the situation.

Not sure if that helps, or just further mucks up the topic.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    The one rotor spinning the wrong direction tends to overheat during track use. For this reason I'd avoid using these rotors. Total BS that Audi would do this on their RS model cars.
    Like to offer my stamp of approval on that statement. Cheers to that.

Diatribe just had to come out, however.

The one direction rotor turned me off almost instantly. Zimmermans and OEMs plus Yellows for me. Thanks all for the knowledge bomb!

http://www.partsgeek.com/zhzwqt7-aud...di+Brake+Rotor

Depending on who you are will depend on whether or not you've had problems in the past with PG though...

I spend a few grand a month there. That's where its all coming from now I suppose.

Has this been proven?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I've seen it first hand. One side wears out brake pads noticeably faster due to the extra heat, witnessed on a student driven RS5 last track season.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

I've seen it first hand. One side wears out brake pads noticeably faster due to the extra heat, witnessed on a student driven RS5 last track season.
    Good to know. Thanks
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Yup. Great place to find real knowledge. Solid. OEM stock spec and Zimmermans for me!