Thread: The beast just quit

The beast just quit

Sitting at a stop light and the beast just quit on the wife. Started again and didn't give any more troubles, but it has her scared. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Also need a good shop in the Seattle area!

Idea - scan with Vag-Com, post up any/all error codes. Any lights on on the dash?
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Maybe not enough to diagnose but mine was fuel filter.
    Shops near Seattle are AMD and Redmond European. AMD is a little tough to get ahold of though.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Start with the scan. If nothing shows on a scan, get back to the basics. Car needs air, fuel, and compression. Air is easy to determine, so move on to the fuel. Need fuel pressure at the rail. If not there, look at the filter or pump. Yes there are a host of sensors that can also paralyze the car, but those usually show with a VAGCOM scan.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

When mine started randomly quitting it was the g28 engine speed sensor - finally threw the code after the third random stoppage... started each time but sometimes took 30 minutes and only one of the three times was on a cold start (that was actually the first time it wouldn't start)...

I am with @fbatwork on this one. In my case it was also the G28 engine speed sensor when the car started to quit on its own, or it would randomly not start at all after it was warm from a quick ride do the store. Good luck and keep us posted.

agree with @fbatwork/@nene

the G28 failure symptom is pretty common across aging VAG cars.... had that problem in my 98 VR6 (@90000 miles) and both my 95 UrS6s (@140,000 miles/@230,000 miles)....

would die... sometimes would start right back up... sometimes would have to wait for 15 minutes... then would not happen again for a week or two.

the third time it happened in my VR6 it threw a code.... never seen a code since but each time replacing that sensor fixed it.
    RS6 904747 | Daytona - Black | 10SecTune | Milltek Cat Back | Gutt'd DPs | trans tune | OEM RS4 wheels

What's the part number for the G28 engine speed sensor? I'm thinking of replacing it as preventive maintenance since I'm sitting at over 105K.
    Can it be changed or accessed while changing the Timing Belt?
    Last edited by RichardJones79; December 30th, 2015 at 11:53.
    2003 RS6, 105K miles, Daytona Grey Pearl Effect

Thanks for the replies folks. I've been waiting for the beast to quit again or throw a code but it hasn't. I did however have an odd thing happen that might be related. I was at work on a trip, came back and the wife said the dash had reset to 01/01/2000 on the time. Also noticed the CEL was gone. So....at some point battery was disconnected/disconnected from itself from the ECU. The battery was never dead, always charged. Any ideas on this gremlin?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Maybe not enough to diagnose but mine was fuel filter.
    Shops near Seattle are AMD and Redmond European. AMD is a little tough to get ahold of though.
    And if you are in a bind, University Audi but then again @canyon works at Barrier in Bellevue.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Sure it's a good battery. RS6 is not as finicky as the newer cars but a weak battery or shorted cell can still give you odd problems.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

We found a section of the main wire harness which lays across the back of the engine that had lost a 1 inch segment of insulation exposing the two main wires. I never had a short but this certainly is possible and such a short would cause a reset of the computer/time/etc......I'll post a photo later.
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

here is the wire harness break... main ground and main plus 12. note discoloration of the copper, so this had been open for some time. I never had an issue as there is enough insulation between the wires, but not much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Engine 44.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	17036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Engine 45.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	17038  
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    here is the wire harness break... main ground and main plus 12. note discoloration of the copper, so this had been open for some time. I never had an issue as there is enough insulation between the wires, but not much.

Thanks for the pics!! I'll check that out.....just weird that the ECU thought the battery died....that is over the right bank right?