Thread: "dEF" displayed above the odometer

"dEF" displayed above the odometer

I hope I didn't mess up something else on my car. I currently have the TCU out of the car getting retuned. In the mean time I have been sound deadening the car and today I went to test for rattles and accidentally pushed the key past the on position to start. The ABS and TCS light stayed on which would be expected without the TCU installed but then the display above the odometer said "dEF". Searching online I only seem to see that issue in VW cars and it says to replace the cluster.
    I really hope this is just because the TCU is unhooked and can be reset but in the chance that I hurt something by starting the car with it unhooked what should I look for?
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

I've driven a car with the tcu unplugged and you are essentially in limp mode. Never seen the def that you describe...
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

You car has lost the ability to hear you!
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Food for thought...

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/vo...-odometer.html

"I stumbled on this in the Bentley manualtoday:

If OBD recognizes instrument cluster malfunctions related to the:odometer
    distance impulse number (K number)
    speedometer calibration
    the trip odometer will change to show "dEF."

In this case, replace speedometer, see Instrument Cluster, removing and installing."

They also say to check for DTCs first, but "dEF" clearly doesn't mean it's your lucky day."

Quote Originally Posted by p8nt View Post
    Food for thought...

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/vo...-odometer.html

"I stumbled on this in the Bentley manualtoday:

If OBD recognizes instrument cluster malfunctions related to the:odometer
    distance impulse number (K number)
    speedometer calibration
    the trip odometer will change to show "dEF."

In this case, replace speedometer, see Instrument Cluster, removing and installing."

They also say to check for DTCs first, but "dEF" clearly doesn't mean it's your lucky day."
    Yeah but all of those are on VW and B5 cars and they say dEf ERROR and have non working gauges. My gauges work, don't know about speedo as I haven't tried to move the car. But I also don't have ERROR under it. I am hoping it is due to the TCU not being there. I know in one of the forums someone mentioned improper sped signal and I would imagine the TCU would have something to do with that.

Guess I will just have to wait until the TCU gets back and see if it clears. I will be doing a data log Friday so will have access to a Vagcom and can check codes as well.

Anything you pull a piece from a puzzle necessary to ensure all items are taking to each other, you should expect an error. Premature worrying. Plug your TCU back in and then only begin to worry if an error shows at that point in time.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I only worry about things I know nothing about. Does not matter what a problem is. If I know the reason I deal with it and it don't bother me. If I don't know why something is doing something it shouldn't I always worry no matter how simple. LOL

If the voices in my head would just keep it down! Although when it gets too quiet I think they are plotting against me......

^all in jest

What's up with your battery?
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Um, nothing. That gauge is off by 1.2 volts. That and the car had been repeatedly opened and closed with windows going up and down and locks actuated over a several hour period as I was doing the sound deadner installation then followed by 15 minutes of fairly loud music being pushed by nearly 1000 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Anything you pull a piece from a puzzle necessary to ensure all items are taking to each other, you should expect an error. Premature worrying. Plug your TCU back in and then only begin to worry if an error shows at that point in time.
    Dangit, now I am worried. Guess a guy on the C5forum repairs them and says when it has that code its always an issue inside the eprom software.

I actually have dEF showing as well like you described and I have always wondered what that meant. My car is running fine, MTM TCU and all. Odometer works fine. Speedometer works fine.
    Avus Silver: Viper ECU / MTM TCU / ACE TC / Rebuilt Trans/ PSS9 / AWE Uppers / Clear Corners / Carbon lip

The ones that say dEF ERROR are the ones with big issues. Just dEF isnt so much of a problem from the info I gathered today. I still want it gone and if the new TCU and reset work then great. If not its a $60 repair plus cost of shipping the cluster so its not a big deal.