Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire recommendations

I ran 265/35-18 Sport Cups. As you say- the tires are $$$. A lot of folks run the R1's at the track and like their performance/wear.
    210K miles rolled

I am about a month into a new set of 19" Pilot Super Sports. They are a great tire. I have noticed a bit of a smell when I park; I don't think I am leaking any fluids onto manifolds or any such stuff. You could say that it smells a bit like burning tire!

With the new tires being the only change, and me being paranoid, any chance that these tires are rubbing at extreme lock when turning into the parking garage? I noticed that Tire Rack lists 2 Pilot Super Sports in our size 255/35 ZR19. One is specified as Mercedes MO. Any chance that would make a difference? I will get under and check the insides of the tires later this week. Northern Indiana weather hasn't been much to brag about lately, and not the kind for climbing under cars!
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

What's the vote- PS3 or PSS? as I am 1 week away from ordering!

I am on my 4th set of Michelin PS2's. They have been great. Used them on my 97 M3 as well.

So 5 sets of summer tires (including the set that came with the car) and 3 sets of Winter tires for 140,000 miles.

My M2 has Super Sports. So far so good.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

The Michelin PSS is an impressive tire. Compared to Pirelli P-Zero it's a world better, and good amount better than my Dunlop Z1 Star Spec...no complaints.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I've been running the Super Sports at the track. They are ok in the dry, and excellent in the wet.

I'm picking up a set of Falken Azenis RT615K in a couple days. I figure I'll sacrifice some wet performance for dry. It came down to the guy at Discount knowing these tires will squeal on their drift car. I've grown accustomed to that feedback from the Michelin's.

Honestly, I don't see the point of any more traction than a good set of all seasons for public roads. By the time I'm on the edge with my Potenzas, I probably deserve a ticket if not an evening in a cell If the car was stock, I might feel differently.

i just picked up a brand new set of 19" PS3s and BBS SR 19x8.5, I have them balanced twice and can't get rid of the vibration at high speeds, any ideas?

Anyone have any experience with Bridgestone potenza s-04s? I was thinking about trying them on the beast. I have them on my s4, in a 235/40/18, and have been pretty happy. They came on a set of wheels I bought, so they were about half worn out. Tire rack has them for 170ish a tire right now in 255/40/18.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by maverik09 View Post
    i just picked up a brand new set of 19" PS3s and BBS SR 19x8.5, I have them balanced twice and can't get rid of the vibration at high speeds, any ideas?
    A GOOD tire shop will figure it out... A mediocre one will just cost you time, money and aggravation.

The pros will be able to tell if the tire is not as true as it should be, and if it can be compensated for by remounting.... or if you have wheel issues.

A good tire shop will also decide if the tire is defective a lot earlier in the troubleshooting process. But this is assuming you bought them from a good tire shop. If not, good luck.

Randy, do you still have those wheels ?