Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next vehicle poll

Question Next vehicle poll

Sooooooo... I'm keeping the RS6, there's been some issues with the A6 cropping up that may render it inoperable / non-salvageable due to expense of repairs. Time to get a new poll going. Good news is it's a pretty simple one. Bad news is that looks like the wife will most likely be moving away from Audi's.

Next car specs, necessary:
    All-wheel-drive
    Automatic Transmission (or CVT) - no third pedal
    At/Under $35k
    Nothing more than 7 years old

Next car specs, preference in order:
    Wagon preferred, deep hatchback or small SUV "acceptable" if all else lines up correctly
    270+hp very much desired, willing to settle if aftermarket can make it happen (This eliminates the newer Allroads with their dinky 2L I4's)
    Remaining warranty / extended (CPO-type) warranty desired
    Prefer not more than 5 years old

Next car specs, absolutely not going to happen:
    Anything Mercedes, Hyundai, Subaru, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/whatever their "upscale" is, or Scion
    No Minivan/crossover minivan lookalikes

All of the above has winnowed down the results at the moment to the BMW 328i xDrive Wagon or the 535i xDrive Wagon
    The 5 series seems more preferable, both from the power perspective (twin turbo 3.0l V6 vs. N/A 3.0l), and from the long-term quality/fitment issues.

All of this can be turned around with the proper suggestion, but thus far, I can't find anything else.

Thoughts, anyone?

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I was looking at the Volvo S60R before buying this RS6, pretty neat cars imo. You can pick up a nice one for under $13k

What year 535x wagon years are avail in the us?

Q5 3.0t?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    What year 535x wagon years are avail in the us?
    Q5 3.0t?
    Could've sworn it was the 2010 535i xdrive wagon - looks like later years no 35 wagon, only sedan :\
    Q5 = minivan lookalike (per her)

Quote Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
    I was looking at the Volvo S60R before buying this RS6, pretty neat cars imo. You can pick up a nice one for under $13k
    I knew I was forgetting a marque in my list - Volvo is a no-go. Oh, and finally remembered Acura is the Honda in a (cheap) tuxedo.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Test drive a CPO Q5 3.0TDi and I'll bet you'll buy it.

428 lb ft of torque, 0-60 in less than 6 seconds and 30 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    Test drive a CPO Q5 3.0TDi and I'll bet you'll buy it.

428 lb ft of torque, 0-60 in less than 6 seconds and 30 mpg.
    I tried tempting her with the 3.2 SQ5, nothing doing. Says it looks like a Murano (and I can't wholeheartedly disagree)

How far is your wife's commute? Go electric?
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Would you consider a Ford Flex Limited AWD? It's affordable, unique, looks great, and can be had with the 350 hp & tq twin turbo v6.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-ford-flex-2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	16806

Take a gander at a Volvo V70R....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Got a friend with a Volvo S60R, just helped him do a timing belt a few weeks ago. Wouldn't touch it. Timing belt job was fairly easy but the drive train is weak and can't take much more power. They use a Haldex system like the Audi tt since the engine's transverse, a Bevel gear transmits the power to the rear and the same bevel gear is used on the 200bhp Volvos and known to strip out when putting too much Tq. Practically have to pull the engine to swap out the front sway bar, some things just weren't engineered that well from my point of view and it's been on my lift a few times for service.
    Now for me, a 996T or 997T, maybe a older '01 or '02 Viper GTS ACR, Audi TT RS? Wife wants to get rid of the A8 and get a Q5, I'm pushing for the 3.0 V6 TDI or SQ5.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    Would you consider a Ford Flex Limited AWD? It's affordable, unique, looks great, and can be had with the 350 hp & tq twin turbo v6.

Name:	2015-ford-flex-2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	16806
    No, God, NO

You've eliminated most cars/brands. I'm not a bmw guy, so I say getting a late model allroad, chip, dp, exhaust should get you close to 250hp. Turbo upgrade will get you over 270hp.

I honestly can't think of anything else, oh, how bout cts-v wagon? They make those in both manual and auto right?
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Ours came down to Q5 TDI and SQ5

She drove the SQ5 and we were done. I just lowered it and Im good.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Got a friend with a Volvo S60R, just helped him do a timing belt a few weeks ago. Wouldn't touch it. Timing belt job was fairly easy but the drive train is weak and can't take much more power. They use a Haldex system like the Audi tt since the engine's transverse, a Bevel gear transmits the power to the rear and the same bevel gear is used on the 200bhp Volvos and known to strip out when putting too much Tq. Practically have to pull the engine to swap out the front sway bar, some things just weren't engineered that well from my point of view and it's been on my lift a few times for service.
    Now for me, a 996T or 997T, maybe a older '01 or '02 Viper GTS ACR, Audi TT RS? Wife wants to get rid of the A8 and get a Q5, I'm pushing for the 3.0 V6 TDI or SQ5.

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post
    I honestly can't think of anything else, oh, how bout cts-v wagon? They make those in both manual and auto right?
    That would be my choice too but good luck finding one and for a reasonable price.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Got the wife a Cayenne diesel that was a year old. She loves the low end torque, and with around 32 mpg, a tank gets you over six hundred miles. Not quite in the price range dictated here, but a nice ride. She is a professional harpist, and needs a vehicle that can handle one. Only the Q7 of the Audi line meets that requirement.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Name:	pontiac-aztec-2.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	16808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7321640015_large.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	16809
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

CTS-V is not AWD. (If it was, I'd own one) We have a 08 535xi Sedan that I just decided to sell (Spare car, and we don't need it now). Not a wagon and just makes the 7yr cutoff. $11K ish...

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    I tried tempting her with the 3.2 SQ5, nothing doing. Says it looks like a Murano (and I can't wholeheartedly disagree)
    Years back, a buddy was looking for a new car and couldn't decide what he wanted. I suggested he drive an Acura Integra (this was the first-generation car, which was a sweetheart). He said "no way - can't STAND the looks." I said go drive it anyway. He did, and bought it on the spot. Still says it was one of the best cars he's ever owned, and we joke about his initial disqualification of the car due to its looks. (not that I'm so smart - I just knew it to be a great car)

The Q5 may not be the most dynamic looking thing out there, (I find it to be subtly handsome) but there's a reason it's been the category's best-seller since it was introduced, and why it continues to sell well - it's just really well done all the way around. The suspension is perfect - tight enough to be entertaining, yet with stupendous ride comfort. It's comfortable, really quiet and as refined a vehicle as you'll find. We drove all the versions of the Q5 before buying (in addition to most everything else in the class), and they're all nice.

The TDI's torque, though (75+ lb ft. more than even the SQ5) is totally addicting, and makes even my previous tuned S4 and my current S6 feel a bit weak in the knees in around-town driving. Passing on 2-lane roads is an absolute hoot - flex your right ankle, no downshift needed, and you're GONE.

It's also telling that the TDi has by far the highest owner satisfaction rating in its class - it's a hidden gem, IMO.