Thread: Still trying to resolve leaks. Now I see I nice size puddle of fuel below car

Still trying to resolve leaks. Now I see I nice size puddle of fuel below car

Filled the car with gas tonight for the first time tonight. Until now it's just been enough to keep it running. Was considering putting a few miles on tomorrow to continue break in of new clutch.

I went out tonight and smelled a strong gasoline smell. Looked below and saw a nice size puddle of fuel. Without lifting the car I examined best I could and I just see a drip rolling off the left side of the tank. Does this mean rollover valve or are there bad fuel lines over in this area?

Crap. I remember our conversation on this. I'm betting on it being caused by one of the fuel rollover valves.

It would be interesting to see what the dealer would say when you pull in with thw 6MT.

I urge you to try it anyway.

Until then, just be sure not to fill the tank past 5/8 or so.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I would think the dealer would have to deal with it since it's a safety issue. Anyway, if hey don't I will have to and I can't really find any detailed info where the thing is even located. Even the Bentley does show the rs species gas tank and it doesn't appear the a6 models have this.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Until then, just be sure not to fill the tank past 5/8 or so.
    Interesting you should say that. My car has recently been smelling of gas intermittently. Check engine light came on showing codes for fuel leak. So one day, right after filling up, I ended up with a big puddle of gas at the rear of the car. However, when I'm down at 1/4 tank, no smell of gas, check engine light even goes off.

So I was thinking it might be a leaky tank. But you're saying there are valves? Where are they? And what are they for?
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

there was a recall for the fuel tank; I remember getting it done in 2011. I don't think there's an expiration on safety recalls....?
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Here's the picture with the main culprit circled...I'm getting a bit of gas smell also these days, usually when filled above half tank. Shop said it was the exterior secondary fuel pump, but I think it's just dripping down over that area. Never enough for any to make it to the ground...yet...

Thoughts on best way to fix? I'll probably just have a local trusted shop try and seal things up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6_fuel_tank.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	17729
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZEN View Post
    Interesting you should say that. My car has recently been smelling of gas intermittently. Check engine light came on showing codes for fuel leak. So one day, right after filling up, I ended up with a big puddle of gas at the rear of the car. However, when I'm down at 1/4 tank, no smell of gas, check engine light even goes off.

So I was thinking it might be a leaky tank. But you're saying there are valves? Where are they? And what are they for?
    I have a complete, spare tank in the garage. valves and all. recall had been repaired by the dealer also. i can take pics for you if you want. I'd even give you the tank for free if you pick it up

I haven't updated my build thread for a while. I was waiting to complete the last finishing touches, so I didn't post that I resolved my tank issue....well at least the dealer did, under the recall campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    I haven't updated my build thread for a while. I was waiting to complete the last finishing touches, so I didn't post that I resolved my tank issue....well at least the dealer did, under the recall campaign
    What exactly did the dealer do in your case? Epoxy or better fix?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

i believe epoxy. and on the spare tank i have you can see the same epoxy fix. astronomically strong stuff though. don't see how it would wear out before the tank itself even.

I have a complete, spare tank in the garage. valves and all. recall had been repaired by the dealer also. i can take pics for you if you want. I'd even give you the tank for free if you pick it up
    That's so generous of you! Wish I lived in Chicago. I think I had the recall done on mine. So I may take it to the dealer that did the recall and see if it has anything to do with what they did.
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	17735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	17736

Honestly, now that I've seen the rollover valve in its position with the tank removed, and that I know how much work it is to remove the tank, I'd consider cutting a hole beneath the rear seat to get at it. I have no idea how they get to it at the dealership without removing the tank.

Honestly, now that I've seen the rollover valve in its position with the tank removed, and that I know how much work it is to remove the tank, I'd consider cutting a hole beneath the rear seat to get at it. I have no idea how they get to it at the dealership without removing the tank.
    this is actually where talking to a dealer is helpful. not only will they do it for free (assuming the recall hasn't already been done), but dealer techs had to do this so many times they figured out a way to do it without cutting holes. IIRC, it involves lowering the tank down or something to that effect, then reaching through (after rear seat is removed) and applying whatever sealant required to the rollover valve.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    this is actually where talking to a dealer is helpful. not only will they do it for free (assuming the recall hasn't already been done), but dealer techs had to do this so many times they figured out a way to do it without cutting holes. IIRC, it involves lowering the tank down or something to that effect, then reaching through (after rear seat is removed) and applying whatever sealant required to the rollover valve.
    The most important aspect of the repair is getting areas clean so that the epoxy will adhere and stay adhered.

I've removed and replaced tanks before and I'm not convinced that you can get them properly cleaned when they are out of the car let alone dropped a little bit or through holes cut in the body.

My first recall was repaired and then the leaks recurred for the next owner, who was able to have the tank replaced under recall.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Somewhat related, I think...on my last half tank "fill", got home and stopped in the driveway, could smell a bit of gas, but what was odd was the fuel gauge was fluctuating a bit, fluttering 1/16th of an inch side to side, then steadied out. Would a small air leak from a cracked valve or line cause a pressure difference and mess with the fuel gauge? No EVAP codes or anything...

There may be another issue that could be popping up with the fuel gauge, thought I read about it before but can't find the info. My external fuel pump is supposedly leaking too, but I think it's just the tank dripping onto that area, new local shop doesn't really look into details.