Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This after-market intake makes no sense to me

This after-market intake makes no sense to me

Sorry as I am still learning a whole lot about these cars, like dont use parts store parts and as to what can do what but as I was looking at motor mounts (dont need them, was just curious about the Sterns) I ran across this intake and it seems stupid to me. See I build lots of performance cars and know to avoid taking that blazing hot engine compartment air and ramming it into the engine. Colder air = more power. Many times I have removed metal intake tubes with an open element filter thats in the engine bay and replaced them with a composite tube and fender/front air intake and seen 5-15 rwhp on the chasis dyno.
    So this filter setup just seems wrong. Also now the diverter valves are venting to the atmosphere and I am fairly sure our computers dont like that. So am I missing something? Are these intakes worth a damn? I havent seen any pictures of them on here so I assume I am right in my thinking. Please educate me if I am wrong.

http://www.apikol.com/index.php/prod...ke-system.html

2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Entirely garbage - period.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Doesn't make a bit of sense to me either. And yes, the diverter valves venting back into the intake helps keep the Turbos spooled too (why waste that air?).
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Entirely garbage - period.
    100% agree, useless and ugly, people buy these just to say they have it, total waste of money
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

I was working on a design very nearly identical to this, but my filters were enclosed. It would be all aluminum, so heat would dissipate, but still suck cooler air form the original air ducts. Definitely room for improvement.

Now if you could put a large round cylindrical piece of plexiglass around the filters and use the ducted air from the front to surround it you could get cool air and full Bling. I'm not a fan of any oiled filter with Mass Flow sensors though.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Yeah I am not sure this would be a good idea from a performance stand point. The turbo is going to pull in the air a plenty and I would think incoming air temp and not volume would be a better performer.

BTW, I know what some folks have had issues with oiled (K/N) type filters on cars with MAF sensors but have ran them on everything from C55, G35, my truck and lil beast and have never replaced a maf.
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus blacked out headlights, emblems and tinted tails, 10 sec tune, K&N, gutted precats, deleted SAi, aux rad and sec cats, MTM TCU, Venair hoses, Miro 112 with 255/35/19, Odessy 925t. Soon to come meth injection and new brakes to slow it back down. :)

Ive run oiled on a couple hundred cars without issue. Its the over-oiling of them during cleaning where you have an issue. Also when I open them up they spend a day with a shop towel wrapped around them before installation. K&N really packs it in there from the factory. Never had to replace a MAF. Well I take that back, I have had to but just because the Sniper MAF meter is garbage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	16771
    RS6-03: Milltek, ModTurbos, WagnerIC, Mtm 380, PSS9, Rs6 9,5x21", OZ 10x19", Hotchkis...
    RS2-94: Stroker 2,5L, Precision, CatCam, JE, Tial, Nira, H&R, MTM 8,5x18"...

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	16771
    i have one too buddy! I love it and don't care what anyone says. No has posted dyno numbers with and without to show anything even tho people say they did it and blah blah blah. It made the turbos so much louder it was worth it to me.

I will admit, to hear the diverters and intake noises I do like that idea. As a mechanic I love hearing the various engine noises. Its just now you are sucking in hot air and thats not good.

I am curious about the diverters now. Does having them vent to the atmosphere (well through those filters) cause any idle issues? Or off throttle stumble or anything like that? Notice any turbo spool changes?

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    i have one too buddy! I love it and don't care what anyone says. No has posted dyno numbers with and without to show anything even tho people say they did it and blah blah blah. It made the turbos so much louder it was worth it to me.
    ha, that's why your drag times are slow
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    I am curious about the diverters now. Does having them vent to the atmosphere (well through those filters) cause any idle issues? Or off throttle stumble or anything like that? Notice any turbo spool changes?
    What? There is no change in how the DVs work. Still dump back into the intake post MAF. They are just stating you can hear the recirculation whereas the stock airbox muffles it.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I really need more time under my hood. For some reason I thought the.... nevermind, I was wrong at any point. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    ha, that's why your drag times are slow
    lol. Nahh. Still can't figure out why I'm slower than most. 12.6 is the fastest I can get it with a 1.9 60'. I like to blame it on the 2200 DA. Give me a -1700 like the track in Jersey where RS6s run 11s and I'll be low 12s where I belong
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

cant believe you would ruin that beautiful underhood appearance with that rice mod. regardless of power gains/turbo noise etc it just looks like a 16 year old made it for his civic! I love the carbon airbox, I mean we all paid a price for that.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I was working on a design very nearly identical to this, but my filters were enclosed. It would be all aluminum, so heat would dissipate, but still suck cooler air form the original air ducts. Definitely room for improvement.
    That is what is entirely missing from the Apikol unit. The open air filters are the problem. There is a host of heat contained in the engine compartment which contributes to heat soak. IF the filters were inside canisters that were ducted from a cold air source, then there is no problem with the design. Another member talked a while back about trying to pull in cold air through the cowling behind the firewall where the coolant tank and brake booster are located in. Not sure where that approach ended up as you would need to still account for the air filters prior to the MAF's if you still keep the MAF's in the same location. With there being no documented tests for any of these types of mods, I would look to stick to the laws of physics for compressing air. These laws being known, ensuring a cooler charge always leads to improved power output. The use of a water/meth injection system addresses that well and has been proven.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    That is what is entirely missing from the Apikol unit. The open air filters are the problem. There is a host of heat contained in the engine compartment which contributes to heat soak. IF the filters were inside canisters that were ducted from a cold air source, then there is no problem with the design. Another member talked a while back about trying to pull in cold air through the cowling behind the firewall where the coolant tank and brake booster are located in. Not sure where that approach ended up as you would need to still account for the air filters prior to the MAF's if you still keep the MAF's in the same location. With there being no documented tests for any of these types of mods, I would look to stick to the laws of physics for compressing air. These laws being known, ensuring a cooler charge always leads to improved power output. The use of a water/meth injection system addresses that well and has been proven.
    I wish there were some data as to even if our OEM intakes are restrictive.

I found a few year old thread here with another company making a similar intake but with enclosed filters. It looked promising but then just fizzled out and no numbers were ever stated as to what to expect. At $1200 each it seemed a bit much if there was no power gain. Or even worse if there was a power loss. You cant have a collection chamber like that before a MAF meter. Too much turbulence. That chamber would need to be after the MAFs to get a proper reading.