Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Leak and dont knoe what the part is. - Please help

Quote Originally Posted by canyon View Post
    The 20L8 or JY recall was done to prevent this issue. If it was done and there is still a leak, then Audi will have to replace the fuel tank. I have seen it done multiple times.
    Excellent and I hope this is the case. I could do the job this weekend and weld/epoxy it so it wont ever do it again but bloody hell, why did they have to make it so the entire rear end has to be removed? Thats ridiculous. I have worked on some stupid tanks but this is the worst. Overly complicated design. They could have done it more like a Mark VIII and only lost a gallon but it would all be easier to work on.

I wonder if they replace the fuel filter while in there? I will wait until the service writer calls me back and tells me what they are or are not going to do. If not included its almost worth it to pay them to do it. I do dozens of filters a week since current fuel is so gummy the older cars clog filters in under 30k miles. When under the Audi though I noticed it still had the original crimp on hose clamps which usually indicates it has never been changed. Not a big deal but the rear one is at an angle that I cant get to it due to the tank in the way. Looks like if I remove the pump next to it I may be able to get to it though.
    That reminds me, what is that pump next to the fuel filter for? Is it just a secondary or high pressure fuel pump?

Well now we are talking. See why I wanted you to call AoA first.

They will not screw around with gas tanks unlike MB.

If the leak is coming from the roll over valve....you should get the tank. End of story. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    Well Megan of AoA called me back today to get a tow truck to me and arrange for a car while mine is down and said the dealer would get in touch with me today to schedule. They will be picking it up tomorrow. The service writer seemed a tad aggravated because of the email and being told to just do it and make sure I have a car. I told her a few jokes and was very cordial in hopes to loosen her up. It worked. Wasn't sure how to write it up or how to get reimbursed or how to get me car and all that. We got the same email from the higher ups and I pointed out it does say she will be called from headquarters to be reimbursed for the tow, the diagnostics and rental car and they requested pictures and recommendations for repair and then would give their ruling. So I will continue to be on active standby.

Thats the Main Fuel Pump, the transfer pump is in the tank.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Thank you sir. I have AllData but sometimes it is not the best in breaking things down.

Well Audi has been staying on top of my situation pretty well and sent a truck today to bring the car to Austin so they can do what they need to do to fix the recall properly this time. Truck driver was a nice dude and was ever so careful with the car. I gave him a $100 and practically begged him to take special care of her. He then took 20+ pictures of the car on the trailer after he was responsible for it to keep documentation that the car is damage free. I think I took more pictures! LOL
    Audi called me a couple hours latter to let me know the car arrived safely and they would get on it on Monday. I asked if it was stored in a safe spot. She kinda laughed and said its surrounded by new Audis and behind a locked gate. Guess I am a tad over protective of her. LOL I just love the car so much and it brings me such joy. It was sad seeing her leave.

So tank updates: Audi dealer has looked at the car and confirmed my diagnosis. Service writer also told me that the repair was done poorly in the first place and now she is just playing phone tag with AoA. She was informed she would have the answer tomorrow. Great service writer. She said they sent pictures, its pretty obvious and it should just be fixed but of course need Audi approval first. I understand the corporate thing so I am not bothered by and had expected delays. Really though they are moving at a nice pace and the service writer has kept me up to date the whole way. I have not had to call her once, she always calls me.
    So fingers crossed Audi says okay tomorrow and then they replace the tank. I really miss my baby! I have all these new toys for her to play with!
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

So I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Amanda (the service writer) and maybe 5 minutes were about discussing my Audi. LOL I guess one more person who is the last person in the chain has to see it and then.... well we don't know what then. She has never had to deal with this before. She only deals with new Audis so this is new territory for both of us. So really I am kinda nervous. Why are so many people needing to see this? Why does it keep going up the management ladder? Its pretty cut and dry. There was a recall, they and I have verified it was done wrong and have the pictures to prove it, tech said it needs to be done properly, service writer says the same as does the service manager.
    So is it going up the ladder because people are not wanting to be the person that says "Do it." Or is it because all managers need to agree on approval? I have no idea. The not knowing is the PITA part. I could have dropped the dang rear end and tank last weekend and just epoxied the dang crack and called it a day. Yeah its a big pain but if they decline the repair after all of this I will be ticked off.
    On the bright side I do enjoy talking with the service writer. Shes pretty nice and very car knowledgeable. Does all her own work n her HEMI and all.

I am currently waiting on my car after a tank replacement. It had a new tank placed with the recall & after my wreck last Nov, I kept having EVAP code, fuel spewing out, & whining from the fuel filler area when it was hot even after replacing the charcoal canister & other valves. The dealer finally decided it was probably the rollover valve & would need a new tank. It took a while to get the tank from Germany & after they had gotten it in, they found that they had to get some other connectors from Germany, so there has been another week or so delay getting the car back. I think several people mentioned gas tank issues as a probability when the accident happened (I deleted the thread due to possible insurance blow-back with me trying to get compensation for everything that was wrong with the car immediately when I got the car back)

I've missed the car & hopefully I'll get it back next week- I'm so tired of the Fusion rental car- especially since we're up in the north Georgia mountains with a lot of great roads!! At least I don't have to worry about hitting rocks & crap on the gravel road that our cabin is on. There are definitely several roads that I want to do next time we are up here.

Good luck with your car!

Ted
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

Raises hand. I said gas tank

as for Bill. Just call them and say bring my car back to me. "I have a call into 60 minutes"

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Raises hand. I said gas tank

as for Bill. Just call them and say bring my car back to me. "I have a call into 60 minutes"
    Don't think I am to that point yet. LOL I did call AoA earlier to see if I could get some idea as to what is going on. I was told that Megan (the AoA rep that was a level above the guy that understood what was happening and got the ball rolling) is supposed to call me tomorrow. Didn't say why. Dunno if its good or bad.

Being as its what, a $1600 repair for a tank and replacement it makes no sense for them to not do it. As a warranty job the book rate drops to 2/3 so they are not paying the tech as much. Then they are Audi so they don't have to pay the 110% markup on the part. So it cost Audi what, $700-$800 (and yes, I am making assumptions based on the data available) to perform this repair. As an alternative they spend whatever they have to for the tech to put back together whatever they took apart plus $300 for the truck to bring it back to me. So from their standpoint is it worth $400 to piss off a customer that is in their system as owning 4 Audis now and possibly blowing that owner up when it is already well documented by myself and one of their dealers that the recall performed was not only down wrong but was poorly executed? Makes no sense. But why does it keep going up the chain? Should be a no brainier. Keep your customer alive because dead customers do not buy your product any more.

And I don't even need them to bing me the car is they fix it. I will go get it. I really want to meet Amanda (the service writer) because she sounds cute but I enjoy talking to her. Really car knowledgeable and she works on her own stuff and has a couple HEMIs. Plus she just seems real intelligent and down to earth. Even if she wont accept a dinner invitation I would like to do something nice for her with all the help shes been trying to provide me and keeping me updated the whole way.

Have just received approval for tank replacement as well as a few other things. I am going to have them do the fuel filter while in there as its much easier with the tank removed considering it has the OEM crimped on clamps on the filter and the inlet is well hidden.
    Big weight off my shoulders. AoA and Audi North Austin have just been great through this whole thing. Now just have to play the parts waiting game. I play it every day so should be pretty good at it. LOL

Awesome news.

Oh Amanda!!!

^LOL- That is a blast from da past...Good to see lil Sis in mighty fine form
    210K miles rolled

Randy

i thought lil sis would bring you out. Lol

maybe Amanda is lil sis??

Bill.....this was an old joke from several years ago. That's me pedaling the bike and lil sis going for a ride. Lol

Dayyyyuuuummmmmm

Here's hoping "your" Amanda is better looking than lil sis!!!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Dave, that's the Rasta dude's bike from Eugene right? Funny, it was always emitting a lot of smoke for a human powered vehicle, hmmmmm.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

YOU WERE CORRECT DHall1, as always. I just picked mine back up this afternoon. We came back from GA early enough to get it- it was still raining at the Tour Championship today & didn't feel like standing in the mist/drizzle again. I am going to have to readjust my right foot after having the Fusion for a month or so- I kept almost falling asleep driving it.

They replaced the tank, fuel filter, filler neck, etc for a grand total of $4276.03!! I'm glad the insurance is covering this one. Now all I need to do is get some new tires & brake pads( I shouldn't say that because I know something big is always lurking around the next corner).

Randy, I was at Tom Williams Audi for the repairs ( it was the first time I had taken my RS6 there) & they said the only other RS6 they had seen was a guy from Arkansas that came down to Barber- I wonder who that was?
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust