Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question time!!! 2003 RS6

Stupid question time!!! 2003 RS6

So here goes my noob dumb question rampage!

Does anyone make neater tail lights for the C5 RS6? I dont mean those crazy LED designs but similar to stock and maybe tinted and no amber?
    What about headlights that are like stock just without the amber?
    Any rear diffusers? While locating my rear laser scramblers (they were cut off ) I noticed how that bumper is like a big air brake. Or has anyone ever cut out all the parts to make that plastic rear piece like the grill?
    Do they still make larger intercoolers and if so are they worth the coin?
    Since my car is already chipped and with a Miltek exhaust with resonators would I get a CEL if I installed "test pipes" instead of my cats? I may not like it as I love the way the car sounds now but wanted to try some.
    Also its had code...... dangit, P0442 I think, come twice now. The gas cap seal tested fine and I emery clothed some corrosion off the filler neck and its nice and smooth. I also replaced the diverter valve vac lines, they were the stock ones and the braided jacket was eaten away from rubbing a couple places. Didnt see a hole but the hose was super soft in those sections. If the code comes back is it safe to assume its that $40 valve on the passenger side thats super easy to get to?

Now the last one and the only thing that bothers me. I am having a hard time getting used to drive by wire throttle and the slight delay so i always end up accelerating more abruptly than intended. So when I am first starting off and making a sharp turn like exiting my driveway or parking when in drive and the wheel turned 1/3 or more and slowly accelerating I feel a vibration through the car. Does it sometimes when accelerating slowly straight as well. But thats just breathing on the gas and after 3 MPH its gone. Trans shifts perfect, never miss stepped, downshifts perfect, upshifts smooth when cruising and brisk shifts when into some boost. Does not make any sounds BUT I noticed the car prefers to stay above 2000 RPM when driving and wont upshift no matter how slow you are accelerating until 2300rpm.

Is that vibration normal? Is it an indication of a trans failing or low on fluid? Is it signs that it may have one of those upgraded diffs?

Oh yeah, does anyone know how to get ahold of that German company that sells a module to interface with the center display so you can see boost and oil pressure and all that stuff?
    Website links dont seem to work. Here is what I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wgDIRoPUO4

I have no idea how to embed youtube here. LOL

NM on the German (Berlin actually) site. Its working now. As luck would have it the only one they are out of now is the 2000+ C5 ones. Dangit! Its expensive for a boost gauge but I love the factory integration!

http://www.turbozentrum.de/en/electr...ument/a-43718/

Vibration is front diff. You can change fluid but its normal

May need a gas tank. Check to see if recall was done

Sneaky reset, log, then post tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Vibration is front diff. You can change fluid but its normal

May need a gas tank. Check to see if recall was done

Sneaky reset, log, then post tomorrow
    Oh yeah, duh! I forgot when I fill the tank that the fuel level sending unit seeps overnight. When the gas level (1/3) finally dropped below it is when the light came on for the first time. I have the new gasket and now that the level is low enough I will also be changing that tomorrow.... well today now. LOL

With all the other stuff going on I forgot about that part.

And there is a gas tank recall? I will check that out. In my case though I removed the rear seat and the access cover and saw fuel all around the level sending hat and even some in the recessed are of the hat. I always have a few VW or Porsche ones laying around so I figured I would swap it last week, forgetting the tank goes up in the back so as soon as I loosened the hat ring fuel started POURING out. A good $10 worth. Came out so fast that a good cup ran into the back seat. Luckily it didnt hit the carpet or the back seat leather, just pooled by the seat belt mount and I was able to duck it up before it hit any material and then used some Purple Power to clean it up. I did knock the hat ring on a lot farter than it initially was so i kinda hoped it fixed it but with this code... maybe not. So in with a fresh one tomorrow!

I almost forgot my other question. Yes I am a 40 year old man child. I do like mild sounding blow off valves. Not those obnoxious loud ones but more like the Konegsegg. I know we have a recirc system so cant do a full atmosphere vent but I was looking at the XS power diverters that let like 20% blow off for that sound. Has anyone tried them before? While I would like the sound I do not want to have it at the cost of the engine idling rough or freaking out because it sees 20% less air.
    I figure its time for fresh valves anyway. These were replaced at 31K, 48k ago. I know on my S4 after the APR chip it seems like I went through stock ones every 5 months. I was the Audi manager so I always had it covered under warranty at the time. So it got me thinking about the XS.

XS power is China garbage; stay away. There are plenty of good diverter valves on the market, though I haven't used any so I can't give feedback. I just know that XS power is generally junk.

For taillights, they do make full LED aftermarket lights, and if you're lucky you might be able to score a used set of smoked Hella taillights like these:
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

That FIS is a nice piece. Here is the addy I used to contact him via email. stefan@fis-control.de

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    XS power is China garbage; stay away. There are plenty of good diverter valves on the market, though I haven't used any so I can't give feedback. I just know that XS power is generally junk.

For taillights, they do make full LED aftermarket lights, and if you're lucky you might be able to score a used set of smoked Hella taillights like these:
    I like those tail lights! I could go with those.

As far as the diverter valves I was joking about those ones. Forge makes an identical set at $200 each and allow me to adjust as much blow off as I want or even go solid diverter.
    Now if I were to go solid diverter I would get the 008s and call t a day but I would like to have a little "pshhh" even though its a bit ricey. Just a liitle sound though. Not all Fast and Furious loud "PSSSSHHHHHHHTTTTTT PEW PEW PEW" as they shift their 14 speed trans. LOL

2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Which one was the stupid question? Tail lights or blow off valves?( My guess is the blow off valves?)

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Which one was the stupid question? Tail lights or blow off valves?( My guess is the blow off valves?)
    Yeah, the valves. I still want them but seems like it wont be an option, or at least a smart one. I am going to order my vagcom setup and data log and see if mine are leaking. Still don't know if I want the wireless Android setup or the standard one with my laptop. Also looking for the best price/place to order it from.
    If they are good I will just leave the OEM ones in place. If not I will get something. I know the APR ones make noise and it seems like the Forge is the way to go but am always open for suggestions.

I do see my intercooler rubber hose clamps have been scrapped plenty and are about 1/2 shaved down so I am currently shopping for a good silicone hose set and then finally going to use my t clamp hose clamps that I have had on the shelf for several years now. LOL
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

I just ordered the wireless ross-tech. $400 is hard to swallow for a older car like ours but I dont have dealer hook up and they are almost 2 hours away. The local garage has a basic reader but I feel bad asking one of my buddies to read codes on the weekends so I bought one for myself. If an Audi owner needs codes read up here (there are a bunch of VAG vehicles up here) then I might be able to recoup some funds. I only get 10 VINs but cant see me ever needing more than that.

I also found a used copy of the bently service manual DVD on fleabay so thats inbound as well.

I have had those hella smokies since seeing them on DHall's avus years ago. They look great on this color. Not sure about fitting well with another darker color.

Ross-Tech software and cable for $250. Seems to not use much computing power so I'd try it on any old laptop. I did have one laptop that it would never run on. Venair IC hose kit, solid, about another $250.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    Does anyone make neater tail lights for the C5 RS6? I dont mean those crazy LED designs but similar to stock and maybe tinted and no amber?
    Amber lights have been proven to reduce accidents and is why a number of European leading countries include them as an OEM safety standard on their vehicles. North American vehicles are predominantly behind on this safety standard IMO. That said, as noted above, you can use the Hella's if you can source a set. I have the Hella's on my Black and Daytona rides and have always liked how they appear to be OEM planned. They look out of place the silver, red, and blues IMO.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

The bulb will still illuminate amber but will be chrome when off.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

I like the style that I settled on, seen it on a few other cars. Seems tougher to find these days. I paid $300 for a set from Germany...and they are still made in China, doh! But after a little wiring snafu they've been great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6_LEDtails.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	16758

Oh yes; look into Stealth Bulbs for the front amber turn signals. Helps to freshen up the headlights, easy to do, gets some of the orange out.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com