Thread: What to look for

What to look for

Hello, I am going to look at a 03 RS6 this weekend with 82k miles, asking price is 26.9k and has had the 75k maintenance completed. New torque converterwas installed at the time. There was quite a bit of extra work done when the 75k was completed. I will see the paperwork on Saturday for a better idea of the work done.

My question for the forum, what should I look for? Are there specific things I need to look at or consider? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, Ken

Ken

First thing to look for is a thick folder of maintenance records. With 82k miles and a fresh torque converter, chances are there's going to be 60-70 pages worth of records to pore over (most of those being within-warranty dealership service recommendations).

Second, let us know where you're at, and if you don't already have a Vag-Com, borrow one from someone local. Scan, data dump, and if you decide to take a test drive, someone here will tell you which blocks to log. I believe it's 3, 31, 115? I could be off, has been a while since I set-up new logging.

Third, look for EXACTLY the color combo you want - that'd be the hardest thing to change about the car.

If you're looking at one for $27k with 82,000 miles, it better be IMMACULATE, and/or have lots of extras. There's folks here selling perfectly serviceable RS6's with minor issues (exhaust gas temp sensor replacement, etc...) for half that.
    By extras I mean a good (not GIAC lean version) chip tune, RNS-E, built-in radar detector/laser jammer, KWV3 coilovers, extra set of wheels with winter tires, maybe a transferable Fidelity Platinum warranty, etc...
    I guess what I'm getting at is that $27k is a bit steep for anything over 50k miles unless it's just loaded out the door and has no little hanging issues.

Let us know what you find, and Welcome, I hope we're adding another beast-tamer to the collective here.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Thanks for the response. I get the impression from the seller that the car is stock but in very good condition, we'll see. Yes, the asking price is high and I'm pretty sure he paid about 6k less than he is asking. I believe he is trying to recoup his money spent on the 75k.

To answer your points...
    1. He says he has a folder for work done to car.
    2. I am in New Mexico and so is the car. I don't have a Vag-Com but will ask around.

Looks fairly clean, but with 2 pics...who knows. I suppose we don't have to tell you how to use NADA ($21,100). KBB is in the 16500-17500 range. Market value seems to be closer to $19-$20k, depending on condition. Higher mileage cars are selling for mid to high teens and really low miles (way under 50k) are selling for low to mid $20's. Let the "big auction" site be your guide too. I think it' too much...but if you liem it and it's EXACTLY what you want...might be worth it. Don't expect to get your money back.

Trans could fail at any moment costing you $8k, it should have been replaced when TC was. Timing belt service intervals should be done, it's $3k every 35k miles, sounds like it was. Worth around $20k really. DRC could be bad on it, rear looks to be jacked up, common symptom; listen for clunks or floating bouncing above 60 mph. Brakes better all be done costing around $2k. Look at the FS section on here, a few loaded cars closer to $15k.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Or you could buy a used civic instead?

One drive will tell it all...do you really want this car? You have to answer that question

Do you have a good indy tech or can you do the work? Next question

Price is high but good cars can bring the number. He just spent bucks but knock him down alittle if you really want it.

Make dam sure the transmission does not slip between gears

All these blue ones for sale. I should buy one. Lol

You reminded me...a good Indy shop or being able to do much of the wrenching is needed, can save you 50% labor costs, and 50% less getting reamed.

Edit; Dave, there is some justification for having one of each primary color.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Blue is the only color...all others are posers...Especially the "rare" Avus...

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Blue is the only color...all others are posers...Especially the "rare" Avus...
    Funny stuff. Three different RS's and three different colors. I can't lie. The Mugello Blue was the quickest - just... lol That is until it imploded. Yuck.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

That car has been for sale for a while, I was looking at it when I was shopping this Summer. I think you could get the price knocked down a bit. For reference, I bought a very nice 72K mile car for $17,500, including some extras. My car needs the 75K service, and the trans is untouched, but I could get a lot of good maintenance done for the 10K price difference. That said, I wholeheartedly agree that you should find the best condition car with the color/option combo you want. As long as the price is reasonable, buy the car. No matter the condition, expect some maintenance costs.

Blue/Ivory is a gorgeous combo, I was really leaning that way, until I found this:

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Edit; Dave, there is some justification for having one of each primary color.
    Good luck on finding a Polar White one...

1. Records
    2. 75k service
    3. DRC is in good non-clunking order
    4. Rotors are unscored with OEM pads

Being in WA, the cannabis club wants the current owner to reconsider that lofty price tag...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    For reference, I bought a very nice 72K mile car for $17,500, including some extras
    To be fair, the PO priced that car pretty low. You got a really good deal.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Trans could fail at any moment costing you $8k, it should have been replaced when TC was.
    fwiw, my (ex) had TC replaced at 49K - i drove the car another 100K before deciding I wanted a different ride - never had any tranny issues. (not chipped...nor abused)
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    To be fair, the PO priced that car pretty low. You got a really good deal.
    Totally agree, I got lucky. I think one of the reasons the seller priced it low was because the car is basically up for a major maintenance cycle. Timing belt needs to be done, front brakes/rotors are shot and tires are fairly well worn. It also has a decent-sized crack in the front bumper that needs to be repaired. Also, I'm fairly sure the DRC and trans are untouched, so those are a bit of a time-bomb. The car would be a low-mid $20's car with all that stuff addressed, so I think $17.5k was not unreasonable. For me personally, I prefer to pay less for a car that needs some work, especially since I intend to go 6-speed and coil-overs at some point. I also do a lot of my own work, so I can save some $$$ that way, and know the work is quality

The pricing on these cars is really wonky. Between modifications and very expensive repairs, the actual value of any particular car can vary wildly. When I was shopping, my "mental budget" was $30k, and that included modifications and repairs. My expectation was that I would end up about $30k into almost any car I bought, but at that point, it would be a generally awesome car I would love!