Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: My brand new second hand RS6

Total man hours were 23 on the swap. After learning a few things along the way I believe I can complete this repair with engine in place in apx 17-19 hours.

As for why. I dunno. I had people doing it that work for me. I said on 15 occasions that it will probably be best to remove the entire engine/trans but they had their plan. I pretty much didnt care as long as it got done and put back to spec and if doing it their way breaks anything then they pay for it.

It did show me many things that piss me off about Audi dealers as before thats the only place the car was serviced. One was the charge pipe that feeds the throttle body was missing one bolt, the AC line under the fans was never attached, they charged for two upstream sensors to previous owner yet only one was replaced, the passenger side engine mounts sensor was broken off and zip tied out of the way (will order some new ones I guess), and there were a few more bolts missing here and there that we were fortunate enough to have access to an Audi/VW bolt bin. lol

On the bright side I got a good look at my turbos and they are in great shape, the coolant pipes dont leak, rear main is dry and the only rust anywhere was on the mounting bolts that were there (but not being used) for the AC line below the fans. Also blowing apart all the control arms I checked the ball-joints and they were not as solid as brand new but you couldnt move them with one finger so thats a plus.

Big plus is the trans shifts soooooooooooooooooooooo much better now. I did try "S" for a bit and its snappy but not banging like it did before and in "D" its so silky smooth on shifts you dont even notice. And a big plus is now when in TIP mode it wont downshift any more no matter how hard you press the go pedal.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

I forgot how much I love driving this car! Had to give her some cleaning love.

Wow, she looks great! Glad you're back up and running. I've only had mine a few days now, really enjoying every minute even though the weather here sucks...

I don't mean to be dense, but I got confused somewhere along the line -- did you end up using a stock trans or something else?

And the car looks great! Your pics have motivated me to give mine a good wash/clay bar/wax job this weekend...
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Congrats on getting it back together. Are you still running the same 034 TCU tune or did you change that along with the new to you Level10 trans?
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

It now has a Daz TCU in it. Way ...way way way better tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    It now has a Daz TCU in it. Way ...way way way better tuned.
    And the fact you have a trans that isn't failing helps a ton!!!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The old one wasnt failing. It failed. Due to improper tuning. Ever wonder if the reason you keep poping transmissions with so much less power than me is due to your trans tune?

The old one wasnt failing. It failed. Due to improper tuning. Ever wonder if the reason you keep poping transmissions with so much less power than me is due to your trans tune?
    Your trans was old and failing, you haven't shown proof of your TCU tune, your dyno numbers have been scattered. I've got one of the most common trans tunes in the world, MTM, minor tweaks over stock.

I would agree that your 034 TCU could have been bad, but your trans followed the same failure as the last 50 we've seen on here that have a tune and are old, just saying...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I cant show the coding to any of you. I do have the file and have sent it to 034 for analysis but it would not be proper for me to put a companys product online for all to see.

If there was torque reduction at partial throttle shift (which there was not as it was turned off) and line pressures were not set way beyond what they should be then driving it normally would not have caused the transmission to shift so hard that it would snap a shaft.

Had it EVER had ANY issue at WOT shifting then I would have no problem with it simply being too much power but the fact it happened all 3 times during normal driving and shifting below 5000 rpm its easy to see that the tune caused the issue.

But it simply does not matter. It is a modified car. Shit will break. It will be less likely to break when properly tuned as it is now. Fact of the matter is you can get a far superior tune for far less money than the 034 which has many issues beyond just the pressures as I have documented earlier.

Yes, I fully agree, and thanks for adding more details. I would hope we could see a screenshot of said parameters being bad, matched up against another tune that has been solid. Details please.

Anyhow, I'm amazed you aren't spraying WM at this point. My numbers benefited when in Oregon, and I took a serious performance hit once in the Texas heat. If anything it will stabilize your power when it's 90 degrees +, along with keeping the engine cooler. Get VCDS, log EGT temp, add WM, log EGT temp, I promise you'll be happy.

Meet up with the Audi Lone Star crew yet? Maria had a Mugello also, and a good group all around.

Well said

I agree with all points

I cant show the coding to any of you. I do have the file and have sent it to 034 for analysis but it would not be proper for me to put a companys product online for all to see.

If there was torque reduction at partial throttle shift (which there was not as it was turned off) and line pressures were not set way beyond what they should be then driving it normally would not have caused the transmission to shift so hard that it would snap a shaft.

Had it EVER had ANY issue at WOT shifting then I would have no problem with it simply being too much power but the fact it happened all 3 times during normal driving and shifting below 5000 rpm its easy to see that the tune caused the issue.

But it simply does not matter. It is a modified car. Shit will break. It will be less likely to break when properly tuned as it is now. Fact of the matter is you can get a far superior tune for far less money than the 034 which has many issues beyond just the pressures as I have documented earlier.

Well meth is probably gonna go on next month. I am not looking for more power but more repeatable power. So the next mods will be intercoolers and meth. And a respray after fixing/replacing the front bumper.

Should be good. I wasn't that impressed with the Wanger IC's actually, I swear they added a touch of lag due to volume needed to be filled by the turbos, but at least the welds are good and still should help on high speed runs. Can't stress how nice the power reliability is with WM. It's so easy to install and monitor, all of our cars should have it.

Driving in Texas, cough Mexico, last year, I got into boost around 120 in 5th and it was spectacular!

I am gonna get SMR coolers. My tuner has a spare set of stock tanks and SMR uses the stock caps with a bigger core. I want to get the 5 gallon AEM kit with the variable controller. I dont plan on changing tuning parameters, it will soley be for cooling her down on the hot summer nights.

Agree on the TCU tune being the problem as you weren't running power levels like some of the forums quickest rides to create the problem you ended up with. It's unfortunate you had the outcome you did.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Well she is sold but will be in my care for another few weeks. New owner is flying down on the 5th of next month to get her. I have been starting it every few days and letting it get a tiny bit of temp into it but felt after a couple weeks it needed to be driven so I took her to work today (only 4 miles) but found myself offering to go for all parts runs and lunch for everyone. lol I love driving this car. Love the unbelievable sound system. I am really going to hate to see her go away. Also kinda surprised how long it took to sell. But its new owner is well versed in the cars life and has seen this thread so there are no surprises at all. If memory serves he is coming from a Camry so this should really knock his socks off.
    I am really going to miss that radar system. I was talked into a K40 for the Benz and I hate it and its double the cost. Put a Valentine One in the Denali and hate that POS too. IT NEVER SHUTS UP. That 9500ci is just a killer unit.

I am really debating about giving him the model with it. I kinda want some keepsake of that unicorn I always hunted for.

Oh well, the AMG is almost done and should be back in the next few weeks making "im gonna kill you" power. lol

What did you get for the car if I may ask
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS