Thread: Which trans mounts did you use with 01e swap?

Which trans mounts did you use with 01e swap?

I purchased the 2.7t 034motorsports 01e trans mounts a while ago when I was planning to do a widebody 2.7 swap. Setting these mounts side by side with the oem rs6 tip mounts shows the 01e mount about half as tall. Now that I have the subframe in and everything bolts down, the right side trans bracket sits right down to the top of the mount. The driver side, however, has a decent gap between the trans bracket and the top of the trans mount. Not really sure what's going on. Either mounts are wrong ones, the aftermarket steel brackets I sourced from audis4parts are incorrect, or (least likely) the subframe is not bolted correctly.

Just wondering if stock tip mounts should work with the 01e?

The 2.7T mounts are too low. It's not a manual vs. tip thing. It's a 2.7T vs. 4.2 issue. You need specific ones for the 4.2. I've got the 034 mounts and they are just the 2.7T mounts with delrin spacers on top of them.
    Last edited by SteveKen; September 4th, 2015 at 13:43.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I'm pretty sure I used everything from a A6 2.7t. I bought aftermarket engine mounts with the sensor delete too. Possible that the newer engine mounts are a little lower, to make up the space? I never notice this problem on my swap. Everything fell into place?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    The 2.7T mounts are too low. It's not a manual vs. tip himg. It's a 2.7T vs. 4.2 issue. You need specific ones for the 4.2. I've got the 034 mounts and they are just the 2.7T mounts with delrin soacers on top of them.
    So then I should be able to put the rs6 oem mounts back in?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    So then I should be able to put the rs6 oem mounts back in?
    Yes, or ask 034 for the spacers and longer bolts.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Yes, you can use your OEM RS6 mounts, but you know as soon as you get it back together, you will get an engine mount code. Just buy the aftermarket RS6 mounts and delete the sensor. The new mounts come with the bypass plug to plug into your harness. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yes, you can use your OEM RS6 mounts, but you know as soon as you get it back together, you will get an engine mount code. Just buy the aftermarket RS6 mounts and delete the sensor. The new mounts come with the bypass plug to plug into your harness. Done.
    That's for the engine mounts. The tranny mounts don't have sensors.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    That's for the engine mounts. The tranny mounts don't have sensors.
    Nope. Just use O1E brackets & trans mounts.

If I recall correctly, I used the transmission mount brackets from the A6 2.7T donor car (so 01E trans mount brackets), and the actual transmission mounts from the RS6 (so stock RS6 trans mounts). Engine mounts were stock RS6 all around. Everything lined up perfectly.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

The 2.7 sits in the chassis differently than the 4.2. You merely need to ensure you are using mounts for a 4.2 engine for both engine and transmission. You can see the difference below. The 2.7 is shallower in height than the 4.2 tranny mounts.

2.7 mounts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.7.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	16705

4.2 mounts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.2.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	16706
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I emailed 034 about the delrin spacers. Have not received a reply. Checked out oe rs6 mounts and they are leaking oil- so don't think I should reuse those. if I order another full set but for 4.2 is the black thing in the pic the spacer? http://store.034motorsport.com/trans...s4-s6-rs6.html

I emailed 034 about the delrin spacers. Have not received a reply. Checked out oe rs6 mounts and they are leaking oil- so don't think I should reuse those. if I order another full set but for 4.2 is the black thing in the pic the spacer? http://store.034motorsport.com/trans...s4-s6-rs6.html
    Correction to previous post. After review, dirty water is not the same thing as oil/hydraulic fluid. I picked up the mount and saw what looked to be an oily substance drip on to the floor. Seeing this, I assumed some sort of hydraulic fluid inside the mount as is the case with the engine mounts. I now think the oe trans mounts are simply rubber pads? I further assume the "upgrade" to another brand of rubber mount (like those 034 sells) is to stiffen the mount?

Correction to previous post. After review, dirty water is not the same thing as oil/hydraulic fluid. I picked up the mount and saw what looked to be an oily substance drip on to the floor. Seeing this, I assumed some sort of hydraulic fluid inside the mount as is the case with the engine mounts. I now think the oe trans mounts are simply rubber pads? I further assume the "upgrade" to another brand of rubber mount (like those 034 sells) is to stiffen the mount?
    Correct.