Thread: VCDS Readiness for Inspection, NY

VCDS Readiness for Inspection, NY

So here's a screenshot. I've got a current SAI leak that pops up and I clear the CEL. From my reading, this reset/clearing faults is causing some of these to show as failed until I drive X amount of miles. Also, I get this failed communication box after 5-10 seconds. Looks like NY state is lenient on some things, even giving a one year exemption if needed. I'll check with the shop about fixing the SAI if they can get to it, or maybe just looping the line to trick the computer as commonly discussed, the last shop left something loose but it all works otherwise. Thoughts on this before I visit the shop? Thanks! No other codes when scanning besides my SAI leak caused by some previous repairs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot44.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	16704
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I had that SAI issue about 5 years ago, ended up replacing the 1/4 rubber tubing for that side of the system and that was the fix. There are two valves toward the back of the engine and the tubing can get pulled off (torn) when the air box is taken off. I had that pleasure after a service visit at Audi. Easy to fix.

Resetting system to "Readiness" for inspection takes a varied speed and distance thing and you can find the specifics on line. You drive so far for so many miles per hour then increase speed, etc. It's more than just driving for 10 minutes on the highway. LOL

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

In PA, I'm allowed 1 failure as long as there is no CEL.

I'm pretty sure that incompletes are ok, too.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

There's some discussion of this issue in my recent thread about removing and coding out SAI. You can use the VCDS to set the readiness bits, outlined somewhat here:
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/readiness.html

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    You can use the VCDS to set the readiness bits
    Does that mean you can manually set the readiness indicators from incomplete to ready in order to pass an emissions test? Assuming there isn't something that will immediately set a CEL after a reset. That seems too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Does that mean you can manually set the readiness indicators from incomplete to ready in order to pass an emissions test? Assuming there isn't something that will immediately set a CEL after a reset. That seems too easy.
    You can set readiness with VCDS google how to do it

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    You can set readiness with VCDS google how to do it
    So even if the car has for example, evap emissions leaks, a weak cat, misfires, etc. that turn the CEL on after a few miles, you can drive to the inspection station and in the parking lot, erase the codes and set readiness so it will pass? COOL. This works on any Audi VW with OBD2?

No. Ross-Tech has certain 'routines' for some engines/platforms to get the readiness set that is an approximate equivalent of driving the car the the needed time and distance to complete readiness.

I'm pretty sure that the C5 4.2 cars are not in their library.

Don't be misled by this. It's not a way to artificially set readiness on items that can't be made ready. If your components are bad or missing, then they will never be ready. It's just a way to set readiness without driving a lot of miles.

I posted a scan at http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...-for-one-price in thread #3 which shows 3 engine and 2 transmission codes along with the MIL on, yet Readiness is all 0's meaning it would pass. How is that possible?

I posted a scan at http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...-for-one-price in thread #3 which shows 3 engine and 2 transmission codes along with the MIL on, yet Readiness is all 0's meaning it would pass. How is that possible?
    because the codes don't have to do with the different systems needing to be in readiness for an emissions check.

The 8 digits are:
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation
    Oxygen Sensor Heating
    Oxygen Sensor
    Air Conditioning

Secondary Air Injection
    Evaporative Emissions
    Catalyst Heating
    Catalytic Converter(s)

The codes you posted had to do with:

3 Engine:
    Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor
    Vehicle Speed Sensor
    MIL Request Signal

2 Transmission:
    Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio (Intermittent)
    Gear Ratio Monitoring set MIL

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

OK. Good to know it would pass emissions if needed.

It's possible to pass emissions and fail the safety and functional inspection.

My inspector would most likely not even perform an OBD emissions check if the MIL is on. Normally, you need to pass the other safety/functional related tests before they do the emissions check.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    There's some discussion of this issue in my recent thread about removing and coding out SAI. You can use the VCDS to set the readiness bits, outlined somewhat here:
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/readiness.html

O_E
    Yep, read that through, just looking for some confirmation. Thanks, I'll give the readiness settings a run through to save the driving around and see if it works out, will report. Basically I just need to fix the SAI leak, maybe in a few weeks, and stop clearing codes. In the meantime I need to pass inspection to register the car in NY.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    No. Ross-Tech has certain 'routines' for some engines/platforms to get the readiness set that is an approximate equivalent of driving the car the the needed time and distance to complete readiness.

I'll try and confirm, thanks.

I've done it on my RS6 but like Steve says it only approximates the driving cycle and speeds things up. It does not allow you to reset something that does not exist or is bad

I've done it on my RS6 but like Steve says it only approximates the driving cycle and speeds things up. It does not allow you to reset something that does not exist or is bad
    Got it. So even thought I clear the code for the SAI, seems like ECU still knows it's bad on startup, and that will remain. The clearing of the CEL is triggering these other readiness items to trigger as reset also, so I will just update them for now...need to get the SAI hoses fixed anyhow.

Just by driving you mean, does not appear to work with VCDS using computer only.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post

Don't be misled by this. It's not a way to artificially set readiness on items that can't be made ready. If your components are bad or missing, then they will never be ready. It's just a way to set readiness without driving a lot of miles.
    I think this is the case, does not seem to work following Ross-Tech instructions, unless I missed something.

Any more info from anyone?

Never mind, SAI leaking hose fixed by the shop it appears. Time to drive a few hundred miles and get the readiness parameters reset.