Thread: sorry bout all the questions...last one... wiring issue at starter/alternator

sorry bout all the questions...last one... wiring issue at starter/alternator

So, with your help, I've figured out how to mount the wire bracket to the lower engine mount stud. I figured out a clutch bleeding issue. Last one before I can proceed with the mount is to figure out this wiring. Will be a mess if I get one incorrect. I think I may have mis-tagged the alternator wire.

As far as I can tell (please correct me if this is wrong) is the larger gauge conductors should be:

one for starter,
    one for alternator,
    one for chassis ground, and
    one for what I believe should be an engine ground.

I think I mislabeled the alternator conductor. I think it should be an engine ground. The two I am certain of are the chassis ground (#3 in the pic), and the starter conductor (#1 in the pic). I currently have #2 labeled alternator even though I've tested good continuity between #2 and #3. That tells me #2 should actually be a ground (somewhere at the engine block?) and the unlabeled #4 is actually the alternator. Hope all this makes sense

Thanks in advance for all the patience you have given me. I only ask when I know I need to be certain. If this is connected incorrectly, I could see the results being rather dramatic. I assume if I hook the alternator directly to ground it's not going to be pretty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wires.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	16703

Starter lead (to battery) is paired with single pin connector (starter solenoid) thru the metal wire loom/bracket. Alternator lead is paired with the 2 pin (voltage reg) connector zip tied to the starter harness. Engine/chassis ground lead connects to stud on lower part of frame rail; other end connects to the engine where the old rear starter bracket *was*. Should be a socket cap/allen bolt next to the turbo oil return.

Last edited by bethridg; September 2nd, 2015 at 00:42. Reason: pics
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    Starter lead (to battery) is paired with single pin connector (starter solenoid) thru the metal wire loom/bracket. Alternator lead is paired with the 2 pin (voltage reg) connector zip tied to the starter harness. Engine/chassis ground lead connects to stud on lower part of frame rail; other end connects to the engine where the old rear starter bracket *was*. Should be a socket cap/allen bolt next to the turbo oil return.
    THIS

Laugh as you may, but the ground is short as it only runs from side of engine block to the passenger frame rail. If you follow the one end along only to find it ends in 16-18", that is the ground. The ground does not run up the side of the frame rail and zip tie to the top. That is for the positive 4ga battery feed, solenoid power from the keyswitch, and the alternator 8ga A/C charge wire and voltage regulator wires. Impossible to tell from the photo otherwise.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

sorry, but I don't entirely understand this conversation. As I read it, I am understanding that two of the four connectors in my hand are actually a short wire to strap the frame and engine together...and if i were to follow it end to end I would see this? One end connects to the frame rail and the other to the block (assuming the two connectors that show continuity to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    THIS

Laugh as you may, but the ground is short as it only runs from side of engine block to the passenger frame rail. If you follow the one end along only to find it ends in 16-18", that is the ground. The ground does not run up the side of the frame rail and zip tie to the top. That is for the positive 4ga battery feed, solenoid power from the keyswitch, and the alternator 8ga A/C charge wire and voltage regulator wires. Impossible to tell from the photo otherwise.
    I am now recalling that this was the cable I forgot when I did my engine the first time...what a nightmare to go back and do after. EASY to miss or forget...I think it's on the bottom of the passenger frame rail up front, NO?

I forgot that ground also. When I first turned the key I got dash lights but the engine wouldn't crank when I went to the start position. Did a little back tracking and found out I had left the engine ground disconnected.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

bethridg...thank you for the fantastic pictures. It verifies what I thought to be the case. I will use these pics tomorrow to once again verify the connections.

All others...by the sounds of it, my questions aren't that out of the ordinary. It sounds like others have forgotten connections here as well. I have been taking such great care in assembly, why rush now? I would rather get it correct than have to dump the engine for a second time just to connect a wire. And, at least I'm understanding just about every facet of this car.

So glad you guys are here. Thanks.