Thread: Fault Code; 01119 - Gear Recognition Signal

Fault Code; 01119 - Gear Recognition Signal

Question, what is the probable cause of 01119 ?how can I find out ? Has anyone dealt with this before ?Below From the ROSS-TECH VCDS pages. Is there a separate plug-in for the TCM, and where is it? Many thanks, C300

01119 - Gear Recognition Signal

Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
    Possible Causes

Fault Code stored in Transmission Control Module (TCM/J217)
    Possible Solutions

Check Transmission Control Module (TCM/J217) for Fault Codes
    Special Notes

This Fault Code is a Note. Check Transmission Control Module (TCM/J217) for Problems.

How much did you pay for the car?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Iswing, your old car?

It is probably the shifter box on the side of the transmission. It is a silver box with a short harness on it. Sometimes it gets wet, damaged, etc...It could also be dirty ABS sensors. So your RS6 journey begins....

...and that code can be cleared with Vagcom...

Thanks ttboost. i found the end of the net in my search. will put the car on the lift and check the ABS and hall effect sensors. just don't want the trans to come out ! yet !

Just wondering, nope I've had my one for about 4 years now. Seems the car has a few issues though, so maybe you got a deal on it. Sounds like you've got the scanning together and your own shop? Hopefully it's not actual gear slippage, but you should feel that, or jumpy gear changes. As a note, VINs ending in ~5500 and above had better TCs, usually extending the life of the trans 100k+ miles.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

the codes seem to be more nuisance messages than actual problems. the vin is around 5100. no luck there. in the car history it was in OR. so was wondering. is low miles. Should be good in the long run. sure it's going to be needing a go through, but that should be easier on an unmolested car. will pull the intercoolers and weld them up, and replace the plastic cooling tubes with aluminum asap. maybe change over to silicon vacuume n boots too. then i will be done until something big happens. heat does lots of damage ! who has the best replacement torque converter ?

Best replacement for a TQ converter is a clutch.

Tozo or Andre (Ace/Edge)...I can get you the info if Tozo doesn't chime in, or if you don't find Andre's site. The fix is fairly straightforward, $500, and you can change your stall speed if you want. If you're going to do that just rebuild the trans at the same time, or you'll be doing it a year or two later odds are.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Best replacement for a TQ converter is a clutch.
    Wasn't aware your Caddy was a manual

Agreed with your comment, however.

To the OP - lswing has the answer for you. Depending on how many times you want to pull the engine and transmission apart, get ready for a wallet-buster. $500ish and one pull today, then $3k or so and another pull 12-18 months down the road, or $3500ish and one pull to get everything set - your call.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

My "other" car has a transmission and TQ converter that is very robust...and can handle 700-800whp for a while, no need for a clutch.

A code description w/o symptoms of how it's working, makes for murky-ish diagnostics. I believe the gear signal is exatrapolated from the input vs output speeds; slippage is likely occurring.

Of the various vehicles I've worked on with that code description, can't recall one that didn't require trans replacement or major repair. Ones that didn't still drive, that is. If lucky, as mentioned earlier, the PRNDL may be at fault. The switch inputs can be checked via Vagcom. But won't pick up glitches. There would/should normally be DTC's. Use the TIP mode to check for gear changes and compare.

May be worth servicing the trans still. My custom ATF blend may help. Have used it in a few cars so far with good to very good results, including mine.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

gear recognition signal is probably the F125 switch.
    www.advancedautomotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    It is probably the shifter box on the side of the transmission. It is a silver box with a short harness on it. Sometimes it gets wet, damaged, etc...It could also be dirty ABS sensors. So your RS6 journey begins....
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmandu View Post
    gear recognition signal is probably the F125 switch.
    Damn...that's what it's called...might still have mine...

If it's the part in the pic below, I've got one I'd be willing to part with. If it's another part on the transmission, I probably have that as well. All of them working perfectly when the transmission was pulled. PM me if you're interested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	16582
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.