Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Another 01E conversion

Quote Originally Posted by b5widebody View Post
    Attachment 16766here is a close up
    Early style mounts on side; late style mounts on top. See part #37 in diagrams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6LNX6oh.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	16767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JQ88lkLh.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	16768
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    a faulty primary fuel pump
    Yuuup. I guess I cracked the connector housing when I was replacing the fuel filter. Wiggled it a little and it snapped clean off. Lame.

What are my options? OE lists at ~$700.

Bosch 044?? Is it a drop-in upgrade for the external pump with a little wiring/adapting?

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...sure-regulator
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Got all the parts for swapping in a Bosch 044 in place of the external fuel pump. Used the directions from the post I linked above. Solved my sputtering/hesitation issue. However, the first time I gave it some boost during the 1st to 2nd shift the knob broke off in my hand lol. This thing is a monster!

Back in business! I think I'm done with the hardware portion of this project. I have around 700 miles on the car now and everything is good. At some point I need to ship the ECU up to AMD but as it stands the unknown tune runs strong with a few caveats:

* no abs/esp
    * high idle (900rpm) when rolling with clutch in or no gear selected (idle settles down when stopped)
    * cruise control works but don't push in the clutch when activated :P

The AMD Stage 3+ clutch is light, smooth to engage and holds strong. I occasionally have some rear wheel hop from a stop, I don't know if you could call it chatter or if it's caused by chatter but it happens when I over think my clutch engagement. So it's probably all on the operator...

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied and hope this thread will be useful to someone else in the future.

Congratulations with having it pretty well done then...seems like you are only a couple trips to Fedex away (ECU out ECU back). Just let me know when you have it dialed in and want to sell it to me.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    Back in business! I think I'm done with the hardware portion of this project. I have around 700 miles on the car now and everything is good. At some point I need to ship the ECU up to AMD but as it stands the unknown tune runs strong with a few caveats:

* no abs/esp
    * high idle (900rpm) when rolling with clutch in or no gear selected (idle settles down when stopped)
    * cruise control works but don't push in the clutch when activated :P

The AMD Stage 3+ clutch is light, smooth to engage and holds strong. I occasionally have some rear wheel hop from a stop, I don't know if you could call it chatter or if it's caused by chatter but it happens when I over think my clutch engagement. So it's probably all on the operator...

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied and hope this thread will be useful to someone else in the future.

Very nice!!

Looks great. These are so fun to drive. I should have mine back in business hopefully tomorrow. Just partially installed the new, correct, correct rear dif tonight.

As as for your clutch issues; did you hook up the switch that terminates at pin 39 of the ecu? If so, I guess the tune will take care of your idle/clutch issue. I've been watching this thread closely as my progress was very close to yours. Great pics. Really helped.

Yea, keep the info coming. I'm especially interested in the Clutch feedback. Might go with the AMD 3+ or the 4 but not 100% sure. Engine is sitting on a Hydraulic lift cart and old Autobox is separated. I'll do the rear main seal this weekend and maybe bolt up the new flywheel. Other than that just some cleaning to do until I decide on the clutch or get started with the pedals maybe, got a metal Slave cylinder on the way.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I went with the southbend stage 4+ extreme mainly because of my "expected" torque levels when completely tuned or even running e85. I can say, from the 400 miles I put on, that the pedal is near stock. I assume it will hold all the power I throw at it especially since it's 4-puck. I was told it will fully break in around 1000 miles. It's shudders a lot on take off in first and especially in reverse but shifts effortlessly and smoothly while in motion. I'm hoping the launch from stop gets better as it breaks in. At least I know it will hold the power

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	16807

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    As as for your clutch issues; did you hook up the switch that terminates at pin 39 of the ecu? If so, I guess the tune will take care of your idle/clutch issue.

Yep, you can see a single white wire hanging off the ECU harness in a few of the pics I previously posted. All of the above "issues" should be resolved with a proper 6-speed tune.

Side note: I used a waterproof connector as a quick connect/disconnect of the pin 39 wire in the ECU box. Just in case everything needs to come out again.