Thread: Fan Question

Fan Question

I am visiting my car for a little bit in Portland where it is hot out. I almost forgot how much fun these cars are to drive and own...

My Solar roof wasn't working but then I cleaned the contacts on the roof and it was working for a little bit. I took it out for a drive later and it appears that my radiator fans are not running at all anymore and neither is my solar roof. Checked the codes and the only one that might be relevant is
    00716 - Air recirculation Flap Positioning Motor (V113)

41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent

I used to get fan codes before I replaced the aux fan.

Questions:
    - Does anyone know the fuse for the aux fans and solar roof?
    - Any ideas as to why my fans are not running?

Thanks
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

I always thought solar roof was direct wired to its own fan as the speed varies depending on sun intensity.

You fix that crooked exhaust yet?

All I got...have fun in the beast!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Still crooked just in case you see it

I had it down at Gary's shop and he redid a bunch of things for me. Probably the best it ever has driven but as I said that I noticed the temp on the dash was hitting 111 when stopped and then the thought crossed my mind that the normal jet engine sounding fan wasn't going. Probably mad at me for taking it to Sunset for an alignment or maybe it just missed me and wanted me to spend more money on her.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post

I had it down at Gary's shop and he redid a bunch of things for me. Probably the best it ever has driven but as I said that I noticed the temp on the dash was hitting 111 when stopped and then the thought crossed my mind that the normal jet engine sounding fan wasn't going. Probably mad at me for taking it to Sunset for an alignment or maybe it just missed me and wanted me to spend more money on her.
    Solar sunroof to dash recirc fan is relay 385 - Part #4B0 959 589. Retail list at $130. It's in the relay/fuse box under the big plastic cover under the hood. Not sure the amperage on the fuse, but it'd be the fuse right next to the relay, and is most likely a 30 or 40 amp Maxi fuse. Crack it open and it should be pretty obvious which relay/fuse to check, I believe from the factory will be at the very end of the line.

Issue 2 is the ambient air temp sensor - if it's saying 111F, it's likely been knocked out of its normal place and moved nearer a component that heats up under the hood near the front of the radiator. If your car thinks that it's 111F outside, that should be all the more reason for your cooling fans to kick on high.

Now get your damn exhaust straightened! (Says the guy who also has crooked exhaust)

O_E

Last edited by Other_Erik; July 1st, 2015 at 13:27. Reason: misspoke one sentence
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

For the high speed fans, I would:
    1. Check fuses
    2. Check resistance on thermostat sensor or just replace it (less than $20)
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

This forum makes it ok to own this car. Thanks.

I have checked the fuses under the driver side foot well but they didn't seem off. So I tried again and what do you know the fans are running. Now I am wondering if it is just the temp sensor. Would the ambient temp sensor also cause the A/C to shut off? Having no codes makes this more strange.

Is the fuse box you are talking about in the waterproof compartment under the cowl? Does anyone know where the temp sensor is? I don't mind the money but I don't have a lot of time to take the car apart.

I think there is a way to control the fans with the VAG-COM so that is my next step.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

^^^Fuse box is on left side of dash, just left of steering wheel. Open drivers door all the way, you'll see a panel that can be popped off easily with a flat head screwdriver....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6-WM-photo.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	16531
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I didn't see anything fan related there.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

This forum makes it ok to own this car. Thanks.

I have checked the fuses under the driver side foot well but they didn't seem off. So I tried again and what do you know the fans are running. Now I am wondering if it is just the temp sensor. Would the ambient temp sensor also cause the A/C to shut off? Having no codes makes this more strange.

Is the fuse box you are talking about in the waterproof compartment under the cowl? Does anyone know where the temp sensor is? I don't mind the money but I don't have a lot of time to take the car apart.

I think there is a way to control the fans with the VAG-COM so that is my next step.
    The one under the cowl was the one I was talking about, yes. That's where the relay and fuse for the solar sunroof would be.

Temp sensor is probably tie-wrapped to your lower front bumper support area just in front of the radiator.

I don't think ambient temp sensor would cause A/C to shut off. Maybe you just had a loose fuse?
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Well tested with VAG COM. All both fans work. Fuses seem to be ok. I guess this is just an issues that I will ignore for a bit and just enjoy the car for the remaining few days I have with it.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Thanks much Rian, glad you're finally getting some seat time again.

I realigned the exhaust much as possible. Some welding and clearance work are in order...

In this weather 111F on the dash display isn't unexpected, especially for town driving. The sensor should be in it's holder front of the radiator. Unlikely it fell out but worth looking at. The Fans won't run on high until about 220F ECT; "jet engine" noise level. The fans normally start at about 205F. It's PWM controlled; might be hard to notice at first when the fans start up.

Overall, the fans aren't running like before since the cooling system is back to where it should be. A good thing, as it was getting close to running hot. This will also effect the A/C shutting down, like before. The temp gauge is almost pointless except for warm up. Anything past 185 will still show "normal" on the center line, all the way to 225F, then it starts to move up. Just barely. By then it's on the edge of the danger zone, in terms of handling the heat a 500hp car generates. For a modern car the RS6 likes to run cool.

Thanks for the emails, hope that also helps. Hold off on the major money spending and just enjoy the driving for awhile
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com