Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at an RS6 in Portland Oregon

Looking at an RS6 in Portland Oregon

I went and test drove this car yesterday:

http://www.autotownbuickgmc.com/en_u...tone-or=539781

Link to Carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...PV64B53N905696

The carfax show the transmission was rebuilt, but nothing about timing belts or the DRC.

Seemed to drive really nice, no funny noises or behavior. Engine was smooth and pulled hard and transmission seemed to shift fine. There were a couple little things I noted, first, the Carbon Fiber trim seemed to be cracking on the finish, is this common? Fixable?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6_CF_Trim.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	16528

Also, there was an exposed circuit board hanging on the firewall, is this stock? What is it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6_Engine_bay.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	16529

Also, how do I tell if the car has the warm weather package? I did not see anything that looked like sun shades on the rear, and when I looked at the side-mount intercoolers, I did not see anything but the intercooler. Is there an easy and definitive way to know for sure? I prefer not to have the package, since I live in Oregon and it does not get really hot very often.

Any general advice for things to look for? The dealer said I could take the car overnight, so I have plenty of time to test drive and dig into it. I have no problem getting it up and jack-stands and poking around. if I get serious about this car, I was thinking I would also take it for a pre-purchase inspection, any recommendations on that? I assume I'd want someone that knows these cars pretty well. Three places I can think of off the top of my head: Sunset Audi in Beaverton, Wilsonville Audi and an Audi tuner shop in Portland called Matrix Integrated. Is anyone familiar with any of these or know of another good place for a PPI in the Portland area?

Finally, what's a fair price? They are asking $19,700.

Thanks for any input!

Exposed circuit board is 1 of the EGT sensors. Failure waiting to happen. Get them to fix it. The EGT's are about $400 or so each, and a PIA to fix if you've never done one. You can buy one and fix it yourself, without dropping engine, but a dealer will tell you that you have to drop engine. You will eventually get a CEL if you ignore it. These cars will give you a CEL if you burp in it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Also, how do I tell if the car has the warm weather package?
    The sunroof will be a solar panel (which you can't see through) and the 3 rear windows will have retractable sun shades. The two side window shares are manual, rear window shade is power and there's a button on the dash next to "ESP".
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Finally, what's a fair price? They are asking $19,700.
    Assuming all maintenance is done that's seems like a fair price to me.

I have been unsuccessful in removing and reinstalling either the passenger or drivers sidee EGT without at least lowering the engine/tranny at least 4-6" while still mounted in the engine cradle and I don't have big hands.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

In terms of service, all the handful of Audi folks I work with avoid the Portland Audi Dealerships. Including RS6 owners. All with poor experiences-- Unfortunately dealers are not what they once were. I can even speak to direct and personal experience with a nearly new B6S4 that I couldn't touch due to warranty. Wife and I were flabbergasted at the end result.

Stick with an Indy that knows the RS6. Meaning someone that actually has and or better yet commonly works on them.

Things to look out for:
    Besides the major services and brakes.

A flurry of thoughts here-

Excessively dirty or low oil
    Smoke upon cold start up
    Excessive engine/valvetrain noise upon cold startup
    Drivetrain fluids
    Water pump and oil leaks
    Worn(out) suspension arms
    Leaking or failing DRC
    Perform a "deep OEM" scan via VagCom or similiar (my top of the line Autel scanner/programmer will pickup stuff VagCom won't; I have both, even the older VAS 1551 OEM scanner)
    Loose or clunking steering rack
    Trans: WOT in TIP mode to ensure no slipping from low RPM
    Body work and glass (i spent years looking at high end/custom cars, can be frightening, either way...few auto techs know what to look for....most dealer sold cars have evidence of paint and/or body work; Carfax means squat, nothing, sorry, other than no major accidents)

My RS6 was also from the LA,CA area. It's tough on suspension and obviously the trans. Some areas are much cooler than others which helps.

Avoid jack stands. Usually does more damage than good. Dealer may not notice, but still......

In the unlikely event you're able or willing to travel to Eugene, feel free to contact me.

BTW- Silver on Black is my first color choice, CF too, very nice. Get an extended warranty if you can....

Best of luck!
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Besides all the above good points. Never once seen cracked carbon, either from crazy heat or stress from removal? There should be papers on the trans, it's an $7-10k job with parts/labor. Prices are dropping on these...I'd pay $15-16k with that cracked carbon and exposed EGT, and no paper trail of labor. Manual under the dash? Spare tire?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Late vin is good

Interior looks worn all over ....left out in the sun it cracks the clearcoat on the carbon panels

Not 19k w no records

I could look up what the dealer paid if it went thru manheim

Came from a good area but it looks worn

We have a member thats a tech at one of the pdx dealers...casa

Or let AMD do the ppi

Carfax just says trans was flushed/overhauled, not replaced. Big difference. As Dave stated, it's a good VIN, meaning past ~9600 or so Audi fixed and issue with a seal in the torque convertor, thus allowing the trans to live much longer. What I don't see on the Carfax is a service around 70k when the Timing Belt should have been done. For all you know, unless you can get papers, that thing could blow at any moment from a failed tensioner or belt.

Make sure you get a warranty off the lot. When I bought mine from Freeman Motors in Portland it had a good list of repair work. They also said the Torque Convertor was replaced as it had failed...it was not actually done, and they covered $2k of the $3k that it cost me to have replaced...better than nothing.

You can replace the carbon parts, forget the company, or get from a wrecked car. But the inside looks a bit dogged, leather roughed up, light knobs and other scratched. There aren't a lot available in the NW, so maybe $17k, depends on how much you want the car. Just keep in mind that if that trans blows you're out $8k real quick.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

If that's the same one, in Gladstone, I drove it about a year ago when I was shopping. They wanted a bit more for it, nearly 25k. I scanned it with my vagcom, and saw transmission codes. Don't remember which ones, but it was enough for me to walk.

Now, it might be a different one, so just fyi. Good luck in your hunting.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Sorry Mike

You are the tech in the portland area right?

Take it to Mike for check out....doubt its the same one carfax hist....but who better to check out an RS6 but a Audi tech that owns one.

Thanks for all the feedback, at this point, I'll probably pass on this one. I really wanted to drive one, and this is close to where I live, so it worked out well, but my heart is certainly not set on it. My ideal car would be blue on white with CF trim, SE exhaust and no warm weather package. My dream version would be converted to a 6 speed! Right now, I'd like to find a well maintained and sorted car that I could drive for a year or two, then covert to manual, or a cheap car with a bad trans that I could convert right now. Either way, I don't want to rush. I've been reading a lot and mentally preparing for a while, but driving one really got me excited.

It's really too bad that most of the cars I see for sale on the board are so far away. There are 4 cars for sale in the PNW right now (that I could find), and they are all at dealerships:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5075691047.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5090703894.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/5060039199.html
    http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/5094405183.html (the one I looked at)

I'd love to find a good private party car with all the records. Maybe I just need to plan a vacation back east to do some shopping...

All N. America RS6's come with the Hot weather package (which inludes side mount radiators). Warm weather package (Solar Sunroof, rear electric shade and manual side rear window shades) is an additional option.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I like the black one at University

Just go buy this one, great price, good VIN, and all records, maintained well. Great price. Swap out the wood for carbon, will cost $1k.

If the link above doesn't work, please copy this link into your browser.
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97405&endYear=2016&modelCode1=RS6&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=500&mmt=[AUDI[RS6[]][]]&listingId=399786533

Uhhhh
    +1000

That is the one. Records!!!!! And late vin with no trans issues

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Just go buy this one, great price, good VIN, and all records, maintained well. Great price. Swap out the wood for carbon, will cost $1k.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97405&endYear=2016&modelCode1=RS6&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=500&mmt=[AUDI[RS6[]][]]&listingId=399786533

Well kinda good news, my wife told me that wasn't the same one we drove a year ago, I guess the one I was thinking had the ivory interior. Sorry, when I was shopping I looked at quite a few.

But I was a tech at the portland sunset audi, I left for greener pastures.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post

I also know I looked at this one. A guy named Martin owns it. I nearly bought it, but he wouldn't drop on his price. I looked it over very closely, no trans codes, had a slight oil leak at the back of motor, and needed new front control arms. And if I remember correctly, front brake pads were getting low.

And as far I as I know, he moved down to California, and I thought he took the car with him. He tried to get me to buy it as a last ditch effort, so he wouldn't have to move it, but I had already picked up my rs.

It does have a very good service history, Martin has a huge binder full of all the receipts. All services done at Sunset Audi (beaverton). He's dropped the price, I was close to buying at 21k.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

If you know exactly what you are looking for (i.e. color for ext and int, condition, maintenance, etc.), why not just look for the exact one regardless of where it is and have it shipped. It's $1200-1400 to have it shipped to your location and there are lots of people on the board that can look at a car for you along with RS6 authorized dealers that can inspect it for $150-250. Budget that in to the final equation and your options expand expodentially. Go check out this forums for sale section as there are a couple of nice examples on there.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down