Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at an RS6 in Portland Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Maybe you're right, I should just retain my sanity and get this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/5095351601.html

Similar to an RS6, no?
    It's loaded with new features and comforts, and well, would be crap to drive I just finished up 600 miles on Texas highways and back roads...good thing fuel is cheap.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

No cracks in mine.

Hot AZ

Huper ceramic nano tint

Just a quick thought from my experiences

1) Go for the color combo you want - this is the hardest/most expensive changeover. If you want Mugello on Ivory, don't settle for anything else. Don't get me wrong, I love my black on black, but looking back I wish I'd held off for Mugello on black.
    2) Don't sweat the small stuff - cracked trim is a minuscule fraction of what you'll be shelling out.
    3) Service records or walk - If there's not a binder of records including at least the last time the timing belt was done, not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd consider the purchase.
    4) Inspection - if you have to ask what to look for, just have it PPI'ed at any Audi dealership with a Master Tech / R8 tech on staff - they'll charge between an hour to an hour and a half of labor to PPI. Check that out, look for high-dollar recommended repairs, ignore any "Level 1" leaks (that means there is enough oil at a seam to collect some dust, but no actual seepage/drip), and talk to the owner, see if they'll get any of those done for the price they're asking
    5) Inspection - I harp on it, but you'll see why if you follow up. If the PPI looks solid, no major issues, have a CPO inspection done - this will be more like 4-5 hours of labor, but will tell you _every_ _single_ _detail_ that needs to be addressed. I bought into my car knowing every piece of worn trim and every creak and rattle without ever having physically seen it.

On to the small stuff -
    If you want CF Trim, I highly recommend buying from whoever it is here that has a set ready to go. I ordered mine through OCarbon and am absolutely THRILLED with the finished product - it looks and fits fantastic, no complaints on the product itself. It just took over 6 months to get it. Matt at OCarbon is a perfectionist. If the part isn't right, he doesn't send it out, and of course I ordered right around the time they were moving to a larger facility, so things got backed up further than usual. In the end, he made it right, and I'm a happy customer, but for awhile there I was pretty livid about the whole thing.
    If you think you'll want a 6-speed, there are more than a few conversions that are up for sale - I think at one point when I looked at the FS page here, there were 10 active listings, and 7 of them were 6-speed conversions. Personally, I'm too fond of the slushbox with the traffic I have to deal with in the DC area to even consider a manual anything, but that's just me. If I could choose it, I'd swap out the ZF5HP24 for any of the new 6- or 7- speed TipAuto's built for the HP/TQ numbers we drop all day - the trans is the weak link on this car, but at least mine was R&R'ed at 97k miles under the CPO warranty (a couple years before I bought it)

Keep us posted on what you're finding and liking, we may know the car, the owner, the dealer trying to scam you... I warned away a couple people from a Mugello on Black in NJ that had 80k miles (and never had the timing belt done) - sure enough it showed up on the auction block with a siezed engine about a year later. Damn good thing I'd had the PPI done! Oh, and listen to the folks like Bigglezworth, Dhall1, lswing, G2 (Gary), etc... they're WAY more experienced than I am with these cars - I consider myself an amateur enthusiast compared to them.

One last piece of good news is that you're in the PNW - you have a couple fabulous shops and local enthusiasts who can help you with anything from a tune-up to an Avant conversion. I'm stuck in the doldrums of DC, where the pretentious locals have priced most of the genuinely good mechanics out of the market.

Here I thought I was going to keep this brief... never seems to happen for me.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Thanks for the advice (from everyone), I really appreciate it! I agree that I need to wait for the right car with the options (and history) I want. It was hard not to jump after driving one last week. My first reaction was "I NEED this car NOW!, take my money!", but I resisted that impulse and walked away. Regarding the color and trim issues, there are several combinations I like, and the trim is not a big deal. Probably the only option that is a "deal-breaker" is the warm weather package, I really don't want it. Obviously, if I could find a well sorted 6-speed conversion, that would be ideal, but I don't mind the slushbox for a while. I saw one 6-speed currently for sale on FS board, but it looks like that one might be sold. I'll dig back to see if I can find any older ones that might still be out there.

One random question, on one of the cars for sale in Seattle at a dealer, I saw this picture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6_dash.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	16530

Any idea what those red and white lights/buttons under the display are for?

Thanks again to everyone!
    Gregg

One random question, on one of the cars for sale in Seattle at a dealer, I saw this picture:

Gregg
    Radar detector warning lights.

Why are you so against the warm weather package? Personally, even when I lived in the NW, I really liked it. The solar sunroof powers a fan in the dash which circulates air and keeps the car fresh, and cooler on hot days. I like how it's a solid sunroof, as I don't like the standard type with a manual slide underneath to allow light in. It angles up nicely, and slides all the way open if you need, but won't let light in when closed is a downside I suppose. Each to their own, just wanted to mention more details. Plus the rear power shade is just a nice luxury touch.

As mentioned, most important is body color and interior as both would be costly to change. Also recommend the matte black tipped SE Exhaust, sounds better and looks better; a $1k factory option, and on most cars it seems.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Gregg
    Probably a radar detector

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

That is a k40 radar laser detector most likely. You will find the front mount unit in the fog light grill area, and then lay on your back and look under the rear bumper cover by the exhaust to find the rear detector/jammer if it has it. I have K40 on my car. Personally, I actually like my Passport better (new one in my other car) because I have trust in the Passport. I haven't quite figured out the K40 yet.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Thanks for the quick reply's on the radar detector!

Regarding my angst about the warm weather package, I'm mostly concerned about all the additional under-hood plumbing. It looks like it adds additional weight and complexity to an already heavy and complex car. I've seen several discussions about removing it, but it seems like a hassle. I realize it's overall probably not a big deal, and there are certainly some up-sides to it, but I'd still prefer to avoid it. It also seems that many of the cars in the PNW don't have it (at least from what I've seen), so that works well for me.

Regarding my angst about the warm weather package, I'm mostly concerned about all the additional under-hood plumbing. It looks like it adds additional weight and complexity to an already heavy and complex car. I've seen several discussions about removing it, but it seems like a hassle. I realize it's overall probably not a big deal, and there are certainly some up-sides to it, but I'd still prefer to avoid it. It also seems that many of the cars in the PNW don't have it (at least from what I've seen), so that works well for me.
    You're confusing the warm weather package (sunroof and window shades) with the Auxiliary Radiator package that was added to all North American cars. I think this was mentioned earlier, briefly. Basically Audi Europe didn't know if a car would end up in WA or CA, so they equipped all NA cars with the extra cooling for the engine. I only removed mine because it was leaking badly. I did experience a slight benefit in decreased heat soak of the IC's, where the aux rads sit right behind, but not sure if it was really a good trade off. Although I've never seen any temps rise higher than they should, I have worried that the slightly higher engine temp has attributed to slightly higher oil and trans fluid temps, which is not good. You can easily have a mechanic pull and plumb the Auxiliary radiators if you know you are staying in Oregon/WA for good. Would highly recommend that you install water meth if you do this or you won't be happy performance wise come summer (warm weather performance sucks anyhow). Cooling is one of the best things you can do for this car as you know.

Edit; "Easily remove" if you have a very good RS6 mechanic...a standard shop will bend you over as with any other work.

Yes, I was definitely confused. I was under the impression that the WW package included the auxiliary radiators as well. I guess the upside is that now I don't care if the care has the package or not. More choices, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    You're confusing the warm weather package (sunroof and window shades) with the Auxiliary Radiator package that was added to all North American cars. I think this was mentioned earlier, briefly. Basically Audi Europe didn't know if a car would end up in WA or CA, so they equipped all NA cars with the extra cooling for the engine. I only removed mine because it was leaking badly. I did experience a slight benefit in decreased heat soak of the IC's, where the aux rads sit right behind, but not sure if it was really a good trade off. Although I've never seen any temps rise higher than they should, I have worried that the slightly higher engine temp has attributed to slightly higher oil and trans fluid temps, which is not good. You can easily have a mechanic pull and plumb the Auxiliary radiators if you know you are staying in Oregon/WA for good. Would highly recommend that you install water meth if you do this or you won't be happy performance wise come summer (warm weather performance sucks anyhow). Cooling is one of the best things you can do for this car as you know.

Edit; "Easily remove" if you have a very good RS6 mechanic...a standard shop will bend you over as with any other work.

Anyone familiar with this car:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...067839599.html

I emailed and it's still available.
    Yes, I know this car- I tried to take a look and buy it back in 2013 and owner was still on the fence and kept changing his mind- it was located in Northern California at the time in San Ramon, I believe, and he has been trying to finally get rid of it for that long- wife wanted it gone but he hung on. I settled on a 55,000 mile ebony/ ebony instead.

Interestingly its in S. Cal. with almost the same high miles as prior.

Good luck.

If you pick up a beast with the warm weather package (solar sunroof, window shades), I'll gladly swap you for my non-solar package. Virginia heat and mugginess are a real drag, and the wifey's A6 has the rear windscreen / rear window shades, they definitely help cut the temperature. Would love to get some tint to help cut heat here, but nothing below 75% transmittance is legal without a doctor's note (and then it's a license restriction, better not get caught driving a vehicle without that tint)

O_E

OK, here's your car, not going to get much better...plus you'll have a great drive back to PDX.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...S6-Avus-Silver

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    OK, here's your car, not going to get much better...plus you'll have a great drive back to PDX.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...S6-Avus-Silver
    Rick reached out to me and we are chatting

On a semi-related side note, when I was coming into work today, I was walking across the parking lot when I heard nice-sounding rumble nearby. I thought to myself, "I really like the sound of that car!". When I looked, sure enough, it was a Daytona Grey RS6. I think it was a message!

Rick reached out to me and we are chatting

On a semi-related side note, when I was coming into work today, I was walking across the parking lot when I heard nice-sounding rumble nearby. I thought to myself, "I really like the sound of that car!". When I looked, sure enough, it was a Daytona Grey RS6. I think it was a message!
    Cool. Maybe $19k and have him throw in those sweet summer wheels Sorry Rick! Actually I think the price is excellent considering the $8k in new trans and other goodies.

What color is this car?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5102290401.html

It says Daytona Grey, but it looks lighter to me. Maybe it's the lighting, but it seems like other cars I have seen are quite a bit darker.

What color is this car?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5102290401.html

It says Daytona Grey, but it looks lighter to me. Maybe it's the lighting, but it seems like other cars I have seen are quite a bit darker.
    It's gotta be Avus Silver...Daytona Gray is fairly dark.

Avus silver without a doubt.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down