Thread: Two Tries to Start

Two Tries to Start

I have had an annoying issue develop with my RS6. On the first start in the morning (or anytime really so long as it is the first start), the car turns over just fine and strong but will not start. Then, when I turn the key to off and try to start again the second time it fires right up. It happens 100% of the time on the first start. After that, the car starts and stops properly the rest of the day. Just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this before and if it is an easy fix.

Do you wait for the fuel pump to stop priming?

When I owned mine, the fuel pump would turn on when the key was in the ON position, not turned to start. Then once the high pitched whine of the fuel pump was gone, I would turn the key to start up the glorious notes!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

ben916...no...I don't wait for it to prime. I've owned the car for many years and have always just turned the key and it fires right up. I'll try to wait for it tomorrow morning and see what it does.

Can you tell if the fuel starts to prime once you open your door? Any other odd problems? IE, does the car know the drivers door is open? Maybe a bad door latch.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Not saying its your problem, but my fuel pump (out of tank one) did that before it shit the bed randomly on me (when I was an hour away from my home too). It wouldn't start first time, it would idle funny for a second and no other issues. Next day same thing. Week later I was calling AAA.
    2003 Audi RS6, 1991 Audi 200 20VT
    1982 Honda CB900F, 1985 Honda VF1000R, 2004 Honda RC51

I didn't get these symptoms all the time, but once and a while and eventually, in hindsight for me, it was the suction jet pump failing over time, so a vacuum build/pressure issue on start. This is a pricey job, intake manifold off if you are not familiar.

I don't hear the fuel pump starting when I open the door; however, the dome light and other items do come on when I open the door.

Turned out to be a faulty / failing relay. Inexpensive fix. Don't know exactly which relay it was because the dealer did it for me. I believe the relay is located under one of the seats. It showed some pitting and they replaced it hoping it would solve the issue and it did. They mentioned that they had seen something similar happen in another customers S4.