Thread: Importing questions

Importing questions

Excuse the ignorance, but I've been getting so many conflicting stories I'm coming to the group to iron this out. Is it possible to buy a new C7 RS6 and import it to the US? In a perfect world with the right guidance and money being no object, can it be done?
    Fonzie
    Current: '11 S4 | '15 S8 | '14 911 Turbo S | '15 SQ5 | '03 RS6 | '16 RS7 | '11 458 Italia
    Past: '13 S6 | '12 P85 | '13 P85+ | '10 E63 | '12 S65 | '09 A4

Nope

Buy one in Mexico along with a shack and drive it in the US along with the rest of the illegals but it must keep the Mexico plates.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Nope

Buy one in Mexico along with a shack and drive it in the US along with the rest of the illegals but it must keep the Mexico plates.
    10-4
    thread over.
    Fonzie
    Current: '11 S4 | '15 S8 | '14 911 Turbo S | '15 SQ5 | '03 RS6 | '16 RS7 | '11 458 Italia
    Past: '13 S6 | '12 P85 | '13 P85+ | '10 E63 | '12 S65 | '09 A4

C7 RS6 is not available not even in Mexico, we did get the c5 RS6 sedan and avant, c6 RS6 sedan and avant but not the c7 RS6, only RS7.

cheers!

Pretty sure you could do it. But you have to bring everything to US federal spec. which I believe includes crash testing. soooo... you're going to have to buy a couple of them.
    On the plus side, once you get it certified to be in the US, you could bring as many as you wanted over, perform whatever work is required for US feds and then you could sell them to us! (sorry, my pocketbook isn't big enough though).

For some layman's importing requirement reading, I suggest googling Doug DeMuro on Jalopnik.

edit:
    I did the hard googling work for you:

http://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-fou...uni-1682067632

To quote the US Government on this:

"If vehicles manufactured abroad conform to U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards, it is because these vehicles are exported for sale in the United States. Therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance. Vehicles entering the United States that do not conform with U.S. safety standards must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed." http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor.../importing-car

That reads as though there is nothing preventing the vehicle from being imported as long as you can document that it meets all the US standards. THAT is where the host of $$$ is. And by a host of $$$ I mean amounts that can exceed what you paid for the car and then some. Not an inexpensive proposition. If you have gobs of money (and judging by the current fleet of cars in your signature) then go with whatever floats your boat. Ensure you do it sooner than later before that plastic coating bubble bursts.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down