Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unicorn for sale apparently stateside

am I the only one wondering why he hasn't chimed in on this thread yet?

18 months and I can have an OEM spec 2002 Avant here locally for 1/3 that price.....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Omg

How about......I have put 80000 miles behind the wheel of tuned and boosted RS6s and have yet to pay for a transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    EXACTLY.... just sitting, not driving or sliding or boosting.... just sitting...

Wanna short some GIAC stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    18 months and I can have an OEM spec 2002 Avant here locally for 1/3 that price.....
    138 months for the US. I'm guessing that ther's no need for changing the bumpers, headlights and all the other federalization items after 10/20 yrs CDN/US?
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    138 months for the US. I'm guessing that ther's no need for changing the bumpers, headlights and all the other federalization items after 10/20 yrs CDN/US?
    Thought it was 25 years for US?

After the 15 year mark, there are no federal gov't requirements to interfere no and everything required as part of the RIV program (Registrars of Imported Vehicles) is gonzo. As long as the vehicle passes local provincial inspection it should be able to be licenced. I wonder if from a US perspective if you can import from Canada after a vehicle has been licenced here.... Maybe that's a work around?? I know that I can import an OEM spec Avant from Mexico currently as part of NAFTA, but the prices are stupid just like that of the one listed here. A plethora of used options exist in Europe and the UK ripe for the picking. I might even import more than one and look to sell the spare...

https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JayB View Post
    Thought it was 25 years for US?
    Yes.... 18 months until 15 years are up and then another 120 months for the next 10 years to make up the 25.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

After the 15 year mark . .....
    So what's the deal between the 10 and 15 year mark then?

So what's the deal between the 10 and 15 year mark then?
    There is no deal. You can import any vehicle from the US as long as it is admissible for import. RIV publishes a list of all cars that are inadmissible. The 2003 RS6 was inadmissible for import in to Canada from the US up until June of 2009. ALL vehicles irrespective of their make/model cannot be imported from off continent until the vehicle is at least 15yrs old. In the mid 2000's a glut of Japanese cars like the Lexus, Skyline, Supra's, etc., all started hitting the streets here once that 15yr age passed. Unclear on what you are thinking with the 10yr mark?

Im in for number 2.

Half the plates in AZ are already from Canada.

The other half are illegal.

Im the minority

After the 15 year mark, there are no federal gov't requirements to interfere no and everything required as part of the RIV program (Registrars of Imported Vehicles) is gonzo. As long as the vehicle passes local provincial inspection it should be able to be licenced. I wonder if from a US perspective if you can import from Canada after a vehicle has been licenced here.... Maybe that's a work around?? I know that I can import an OEM spec Avant from Mexico currently as part of NAFTA, but the prices are stupid just like that of the one listed here. A plethora of used options exist in Europe and the UK ripe for the picking. I might even import more than one and look to sell the spare...

https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

Yes.... 18 months until 15 years are up and then another 120 months for the next 10 years to make up the 25.

There is no deal. You can import any vehicle from the US as long as it is admissible for import. RIV publishes a list of all cars that are inadmissible. The 2003 RS6 was inadmissible for import in to Canada from the US up until June of 2009. ALL vehicles irrespective of their make/model cannot be imported from off continent until the vehicle is at least 15yrs old. In the mid 2000's a glut of Japanese cars like the Lexus, Skyline, Supra's, etc., all started hitting the streets here once that 15yr age passed. Unclear on what you are thinking with the 10yr mark?
    I had a senior moment and forgot about the earlier model years and didn't realize that we are already that old.

ALL vehicles irrespective of their make/model cannot be imported from off continent until the vehicle is at least 15yrs old.
    Oh, and the date is determined by the month and year of manufacture - NOT model year....

"13. IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES (15) YEARS OLD OR OLDER AND BUSES MANUFACTURED BEFORE JANUARY 1, 1971 - Vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older, as determined by the month and year of manufacture, and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971, are no longer regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act by virtue of their age. While Transport Canada does not regulate the importation of these vehicles, it does not preclude the vehicles from having to meet provincial/territorial safety and licensing requirements. Importers of such vehicles are required to complete a Vehicle Import Form 1, at the time of importation, and present proof of ownership. Also, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for clearance requirements."

http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafe...Section2_0.htm
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafe...planations.htm

AND...
    For those CDN drivers who want to have an RS6 that has been converted to a 6spd manual, ensure it complies with this before you import:

"14. MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND CLUTCH PEDAL (Vehicles manufactured after May 1, 2005 and newer only) - If a passenger car, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck or three-wheeled vehicle has a GVWR of 4 536 kg or less and is equipped with a manual transmission, it must not be possible to start the engine unless the clutch pedal is depressed or the drive train is otherwise disengaged. If it is possible to start the engine without the clutch pedal being depressed or with the drive train engaged, the vehicle will fail the RIV inspection."

Haven't heard any of the half dozen or so owners that have a 6MT conversion advise whether or not the ECU conversion accounts for this or not. Bueller? Bueller?

"14. MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND CLUTCH PEDAL (Vehicles manufactured after May 1, 2005 and newer only) - If a passenger car, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck or three-wheeled vehicle has a GVWR of 4 536 kg or less and is equipped with a manual transmission, it must not be possible to start the engine unless the clutch pedal is depressed or the drive train is otherwise disengaged. If it is possible to start the engine without the clutch pedal being depressed or with the drive train engaged, the vehicle will fail the RIV inspection."

Haven't heard any of the half dozen or so owners that have a 6MT conversion advise whether or not the ECU conversion accounts for this or not. Bueller? Bueller?
    It's not ECU related, but wiring that has to be done. There is clutch pedal switch that engages the starter interlock relay when the pedal is depressed. I've done the proper wiring in all the conversions that I've done.

It's not ECU related, but wiring that has to be done. There is clutch pedal switch that engages the starter interlock relay when the pedal is depressed. I've done the proper wiring in all the conversions that I've done.
    Same. I followed the wiring directions SteveKen sent me and from the first time I fired it up with the manual, I had to have the clutch pedal fully depressed.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    Same. I followed the wiring directions SteveKen sent me and from the first time I fired it up with the manual, I had to have the clutch pedal fully depressed.

Am I correct when I say this is an alternative to wiring it yourself? Cause I ordered one with the swap kit.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

What are the rules coming from Canada to US for importation?
    Last edited by Korben007; May 13th, 2015 at 15:01.
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Korben007 View Post
    What are the coming from Canada to US?
    ???

Why you selling the wagon?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Omg

How about......I have put 80000 miles behind the wheel of tuned and boosted RS6s and have yet to pay for a transmission.
    As you know it's just the WOT shifts and 0-100 runs that break 'em; part of why I'm not concerned by high mileage cars. You could drive 80k miles and just be sitting in gear, no damage done. I'm picturing something like this...

Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I only experienced tranny failure on the OEM tranny of the one ride here. The second ride that ran Marc's tune for over 5 years had been replaced 100K prior to the tune being installed and ran another full 45K with the tune. NEVER had an issue with the tranny....