Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rs5 wave rotors on rs6... thoughts?

rs5 wave rotors on rs6... thoughts?

Got a deal on the rs5 wave design rotors. Was wondering what people thought of this "mod". Its supposed to be some weight savings...and we all know the rs6 needs it where it can get it. I figure less rotating mass would be good. Anyone fine this or think it's worth doing? Rotors are a great deal cheaper than me stock ones so there's also that.

I traded some Zimm's for my RS5 scallops. They look great and perform very well! A little less weight than the stock rotors, yes, but the bigger advantage has to do with creating pockets of disrupted airflow - better heat dissipation across the rotor overall, I'm not claiming huge difference but just as with weight, anything that disperses heat even that little bit better, is a step in the right direction.

If you got yours new/unused, get them cryo treated for effectively double the wear life.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

The ones I'm looking at have approximately 5 miles on them from what I'm told.

Thanks for the tip here! I may try this when I need brakes.
    Current: 08 Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series, 08 Mercedes E63 AMG, 99 Mercedes C43 AMG, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, 91 BMW 318IC (E30)
    Past: 03 Audi RS6, 01 Audi S4, 13 Audi S6, 99 BMW M3, 07 Audi RS4, 06 BMW M5, +

Quote Originally Posted by BigD2500HD View Post
    The ones I'm looking at have approximately 5 miles on them from what I'm told.
    If it's time for rotor change, I'd say go for it. Get them cryo-treated and enjoy good quality rotors for 40-70k miles depending on your driving style

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

This is very good to know. The shape of them does nothing for me but if they can be had cheaper and are supposedly lighter and more efficient, then so much the better!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Totally useless and entirely a marketing ploy unless you are racing around the autocross or doing high speed driving (in excess of 200km/h) on an Autobahn or the like and braking hard for more than 4-5 secs constantly. Unless you're getting them for the same price or less than what the car came with stock, it's a waste your money that is better off being wasted elsewhere. There's a reason DP's and other high end racing cars don't run these. The scalloping saves weight, but it also lowers surface area of the rotor. Drilled rotors are lighter than slotted (generally) but racers all know that slotted is better for the track as drilled rotors crack. To quote Car and Driver: "The clever Quattro Volk carve out portions of each rotor’s periphery and call them 'wave rotors,' claiming that they cumulatively reduce unsprung and rotating mass by nine pounds." On a 4300lb+ car shaving 9 lbs can be better accomplished with a good dump..... A lot cheaper too.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; May 6th, 2015 at 02:35.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Personally, $700 for a set isn't a 'good deal' IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS5-R8-...ebc9fd&vxp=mtr
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I'll be getting them for 300........soooo.... Doin it.

I'll report back any benefits and or deficiencies.

I'll be getting them for 300........soooo.... Doin it.

Ill give you $400 for them..and you just made a quick $100. Boom. You're welcome!
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Hahaaa..... Tempting. But I think I'll be happy with them the recommendation came from an Audi master tech. He has a set on his rs6 and raved about them.

And I do believe that 9 pounds in rotating mass is pretty different than just 9 pounds in weight savings

And I do believe that 9 pounds in rotating mass is pretty different than just 9 pounds in weight savings
    Seconded

O_E

...only matters if you're racing. This is a 4300lb car that you're driving on street roads in traffic and highways when you get a chance to stretch the legs. Again, better value in a good dump...

That said, if you get a set for half the price of a set of Zimmermans, then wallet logic simply prevails irrespective of the debate on what they are marketed as.

Not sure I would skimp on rotors...

A better 36lb savings might be lighter rims or less skinny pedal.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Not sure I would skimp on rotors...

A better 36lb savings might be lighter rims or less skinny pedal.
    9lbs total. Not 9lbs per wheel....

It doesn't appear to be a skimped design to me... Maybe the lure of marketing fluff is Bologna, but the rotors themselves also have 12 years technological advances in design and testing.