Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I honestly can't decide. Input much wanted. Keep or sell

I honestly can't decide. Input much wanted. Keep or sell

So, I absolutely love my RS6 and I take really good care of it, but things keep breaking on it (mostly not my fault). Although I will get a payout for the transportation company doing launches in my car, I'm really tired of it being in the shop so often. I don't mind paying the extra money in maintenance, which I took into consideration when buying. This car is without a doubt a future classic (1 year left...at least in Texas). It's a collectors item. 800 were made and what, 400-500 originals still left? Should I fix the tranny and sell, or keep it?
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

Keep it....

It's an addiction.

Feed it.
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Well thats enough convincing for me!

jk more input wanted lol. Thank you for your opinion though.
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

Here's my opinion.....if you have another car (newer, more reliable) and can afford to keep the RS6 running and enjoy driving it on occasion, then what the hell.

Certainly there are plenty of other newer cars (even in the Audi line) which are faster, quicker, loaded with new tech,etc, with the added benefit of a warrantee.

My A8L is faster and quicker than the RS6, but not as much fun to drive, mainly due to huge difference in handling. Perhaps if I had splurged on an S8 I would have traded the RS6 on that, but they only offered me $5000 in trade, ended up too pricey.

My RS6 is beginning to give me trouble but I hope to get it all sorted out this week.

Why do I keep mine? It's paid for. It's fun to drive. I already own Snow Tires on Wheels so it's my default Really Bad Weather Car. The A8L with the all seasons is ok in the snow, but when it get really bad the RS with proper snow tires is far better. As long as the thing runs and does not begin to cost me a fortune, I'll keep it. It's not something I would want to sell in a private sale and get screwed on some dumb private sale hidden clause lemon law BS.

The next question for me is whether or not to buy out my A8L at the lease end. My buy out is 45 K and from what I can tell the fair trade in value is about 57k. So its a hell of a deal at 45K.

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Greyyork View Post
    So, I absolutely love my RS6 and I take really good care of it, but things keep breaking on it (mostly not my fault). Although I will get a payout for the transportation company doing launches in my car, I'm really tired of it being in the shop so often. I don't mind paying the extra money in maintenance, which I took into consideration when buying. This car is without a doubt a future classic (1 year left...at least in Texas). It's a collectors item. 800 were made and what, 400-500 originals still left? Should I fix the tranny and sell, or keep it?
    Unless you can find a good/great mechanic then you might want to cut your losses. The guys at Brink in Austin are solid, but still at $100 an hour it adds up. This car is not built at all for the Texas heat either. Now, if you're moving anywhere up North, I'd say keep it you will be able to enjoy it a lot more. You've had a string of bad luck, but as you said it's a very unique car, and does take some unique care. I've got a truck as my standard driver, and the RS6 is just for fun these days.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

As lswing said if you have access to a good independent tech hold on to it. It is a unique car and I think it is the best representation of the already great C5 design. It is unique in its own subtle way and much better resolved than today's new car design language with the gaping front grills.

A biker actually gave me a thumbs up and asked if this was a special edition Euro only model. You might regret it once you let it go. I regretted selling my 6 speed Stage 3 A6 2.7T (complete sleeper) but I more than made up for it with the RS6 which is so much more car.
    Last edited by Cmnair; May 3rd, 2015 at 01:57.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

These are getting to age where any piece of plastic, any piece of rubber is past, at or near the end of its life. And that includes any trim pieces, or innard o-ring seales etc. that's why they are so cheap. unless youre someone who as a kid read a Road & Track article on the car or smthing and said "I gotta have one of those someday" (I'm more than half guilty of being in that camp LOL) nobody wants these cars. They are old!! But I still think rare and coveted enough to remain collectible and SOME people will keep them up and do what it takes to do so properly. But I would bet prime-to very good examples of C5 RS6s will halve or more within the next 4-5 years. Bc if you don't care enuf youre going to just let it go, and it won't be worth much so even more reason to not invest in its upkeep if it doesn't tug on your heartstrings. Take it from someone = me.... who is really good at acquiring cars and really bad at parting with them, unlike Porsches (at least very very new ones) these cars (C5 RS6s) are definitely not user friendly when it comes to disassembly / assembly. I love mine and I will do what it takes to keep it in tact and wholly functional. But I'm an idiot... or at best a low end "collector" lol. My opinion, and I do deal in higher end pre-owned cars quite a bit, unless you're totally in love with it and plan to hold on to it for another 10 years or so, if you want your max $$ back out of it sell it now. And if you do want to keep it prepare yourself that it is approaching age of needing a full rebuild of any and all things rubber or plastic, at a minimum, which is a lot of parts and a lot of $$.

I had this same debate way back when...many times...I thought the manual conversion would change my mind and make me keep it, but alas...decided to let it go. While I miss the quality of the Euro cars, I am in lust with my CTS-V, which is no where near the quality level of the 6 year older car, but it does have more technology and more power and WAYYY easier to mod. My V will be at the 650-675whp level in about a week or so, for less than $6k, and be dead nuts reliable. My RS6 would NEVER have seen 675whp...and if it did, it would probably cost double and I would trust it to drive down the street. Short answer is only you know how much you've spent...and how much you want to continue to spend to keep it on the road. Good Luck with your decision...

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I had this same debate way back when...many times...I thought the manual conversion would change my mind and make me keep it, but alas...decided to let it go. While I miss the quality of the Euro cars, I am in lust with my CTS-V, which is no where near the quality level of the 6 year older car, but it does have more technology and more power and WAYYY easier to mod. My V will be at the 650-675whp level in about a week or so, for less than $6k, and be dead nuts reliable. My RS6 would NEVER have seen 675whp...and if it did, it would probably cost double and I would trust it to drive down the street. Short answer is only you know how much you've spent...and how much you want to continue to spend to keep it on the road. Good Luck with your decision...
    Sounds like a blast! To bad the CTS-V is butt ugly...Jk.....or am I?

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    CAI, Upper and lower pulleys, injectors, intake, exhaust, headers? Are you doing a HX as well? Who is doing the tune? Sorry for the hijack.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Tough decision obviously.

There are many nicer, newer Audis and other cars out there right now but I don't think most are as near as unique and as raw as this car. I mostly picked up this car because not many can be found in my area and I wanted something a bit different but still in the Audi/VW genepool. Maybe sell it to a close friend so you can get it back if you ever really wanted to lol. As already stated this car is certainly an addition, once the fire burns out and it no longer gets you going like it once did- maybe it's time to let it go... or maybe make some changes to the car to keep the passion in it. I think you should keep it. Maybe a 6 speed swap instead of the auto box repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    CAI, lower pulley, injectors, intake, exhaust, headers, cam. No HX, but probably a Varimax pump. JRE tuned.
    Fixed...

She is a mistress this RS6, now more demanding than ever, but she delivers not just in speed but in sheer driving experience. I bought mine 2 weeks ago and have but over 2k on her already. True at their age they need more attention, but there is nothing else out there to compare to this car including the newer RS Audis.. In stock form 11 years after she is still supreme in her class, also true some newer models maybe faster, but none will wiggle your nuts like the Beast..

As someone who picked up a second RS6 while my original one awaits resurrection in Arizona, and who knew the car from 10 years of ownership from new, the cost of ownership for what we have made perfect sense to me. Yes, service is expensive, but once major items (transmission, DRC) are out of the way, it is only the timing belt and random parts that cost you. These are not cheap, but price a comparable car re: 4 wheel drive, power, fun to drive and rarity, and your outlay is going to be way more than what you'd spend to keep your car running smoothly. If you don't have a good shop to work on the car, factor that in. Run the numbers for selling now- you can't by a Corolla for the money you will get- and buying the replacement car, and compare to keeping the car for another 5 years and adding in costs for repairs and maintenance over that time with a sale at the end for half of current price. When you run the numbers on the car you think will put a grin on your face like the RS6 as I did, you might just pick up a daily driver and keep the beast.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

i'd buy again an RS6 C5 but not as a daily drive, after 2 of them i can definitely say that at this age you can't rely on it for a daily use especially in a hot climate, if you want to keep it as a garage queen and take it out for a spin in the weekends than do so, you won't regret the decision, but if you intend using it as a single car then sell it and get a better compromise car, the C5 RS6 just won't do it on the long run.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by CBeau View Post
    These are getting to age where any piece of plastic, any piece of rubber is past, at or near the end of its life. And that includes any trim pieces, or innard o-ring seales etc. ....if you do want to keep it prepare yourself that it is approaching age of needing a full rebuild of any and all things rubber or plastic, at a minimum, which is a lot of parts and a lot of $$.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Now, if you're moving anywhere up North, I'd say keep it you will be able to enjoy it a lot more.
    As a MN owner, I'd respectfully disagree.... Although the Sunbelt area has it's heat-related challenges for this car, so does the cold weather. The extreme cold (-25F to 0F) here in MN is absolutely brutal on this 13 year old big twin turbo car due to large gradient heat cycling on cold start-ups. As stated in the above post, the critical "soft" materials are aging-----and, in my experience, result in more and more leaks and discerning noises every Winter.

2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by Greyyork View Post
    Although I will get a payout for the transportation company doing launches in my car
    All I can visualize after hearing your story is this....

https://youtu.be/_S7AyiVfNdA
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

why not ?? If the car is maintained and in good working order she is a reliable car. She might need more attention, and while there are more practical cars for daily driver, an RS6 is very much fun to drive..